What are the best methods of getting permission to detect private property?

TruePatriot

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2011
Minnesota
I am getting back into metal detecting after a couple years. I never really detecting seriously, mostly just public parks with my father from time to time. As of late, I have been researching heavily into historical records in search of good places to find old coins and relics. By using plat maps and comparing them to land parcel tracts, I've had success is identifying owners of properties in my area.

For those seasoned metal detectors, what is your recommended way of getting permission to metal detect someone's private property?

For example, I'd like to metal detect some land owned by a cemetery association in a rural location. It dates back to the 1850s and used to have a church located on the property and has some woods surrounding the area. I don't have any interest in detecting the graveyard. After some investigation I managed to track down the board members and called up the president of the association. He wasn't receptive of the idea of detecting on the property (had some concern of sod plugs).

Was it a mistake to simply call the individual? It seems a little impersonal now that I think of it. If I had to do it over again I would of offered to meet him in person and bought him dinner, or perhaps offered to do restoration work on the cemetery or even a financial donation. Is this bending way over backwards to detecting a site?

Any advice on how I can salvage this situation or make future requests more successful?

Thanks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Cold calls (on the phone) and letters usually don't do much good. I mean, afterall, think of it: What do YOU do when you get junk mail, or phone solicitors? You hang up, right? ::) It's always better to "bump into them" somewhere, where you can meet them in person. Ie.: find them on the front porch, etc... I mean, if you found out what "association" it is, then it shouldn't seem hard to find out where the guy might go to church (if it's a church-owned site, for instance).

and once you have found a way to bump into him in person, don't start off by asking about metal detecting. Instead, you're an "amateur history" buff, and you were researching the old church site that used to be there, blah blah blah. Then slowly morph into a "would it be ok to walk around with a metal detector" etc... Don't mention dig (even if thinking of something to allay concerns, it will only raise red flags, that you have no reason to even implant images, to begin with).

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Take your Lesche with you..if you use one,which you should, and if the subject of holes comes up pick a spot of grass,dig a blade length "horseshoe" plug, flip it back into place and show him how nobody could tell you'd dug there.
If you do get a place to detect then try get references from the owners. It'll help with your next site.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just go to the door and sell yourself the best you can. I have got a lot of yes's and some no's too. If your not a good salesman then you probably won't do much better persuading the person owning the property. Lastly if you are able to hunt it, clean up after yourself and say thanks when leaving. Some people even show their finds. I don't, just my style. If they ask me though, I show them. But I always tell the owner when I am done and if I may return again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread