Would you attempt to clean a Capped Bust Half?

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shout to Buckle Boy. I read his post about cleaning with Baking Soda and experimented with a blackened tarnished Mercury Dime see before/after photos. I'm impressed with the outcome but almost afraid to try it on my Capped Bust. Do you guys think the Merc retained any toning or does it appear too shiney/cleaned? I would love to bring out the brilliance of the Silver under the tarnish on the Capped Bust, but being it's the only one I have ever found I think it's already beautiful. Please offer advice/opinions, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Billy (aka Metal Illness)

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 57
  • photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 49
  • photo 4 (1).JPG
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 57
  • CAPPED BUST HALF 1819 Reverse 9-30-2015.JPG
    CAPPED BUST HALF 1819 Reverse 9-30-2015.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 52

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Baking soda I heard will still leave micro scratching on the silver. Lemon juice seems to be another option I've read.Having no toning is too clean sometimes, a bit of toning is nice on coinage and it has that nice look to it. Some will lighten the toning up a bit but still leaving some to have the aged look. It looks pretty sweet the way it sits now, but it's your silver and you have to admire it more so it's a hard choice.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is about personal preference, but if you want to know the truth you should take a giant step back if you think that merc is better. I'd be quite happy if all my dug silver looked like the uncleaned merc, and very unhappy if any looked like the cleaned merc. In cleaning you gotta pick your battles and that dime was not one to fight.... and neither is the half.

Last edited:

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That merc cleaned up really nice. Personally, I would leave that gorgeous half just the way it is

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread