a boa is hunting the cat - how to trap ?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
sitting on the front porch in the dark eating a snack and I see this white thing thicker at the base than the top . . .
but its kinda undulating - a dancing mushroom
and I bolted as it was a snake looking at me, its head ~20" high and perhaps 20" away !

lights on, sure enough it sticks its nose into an opening from below the wooden deck which has space under it
unfortunately this is not a new event, the last time I was wrestling naked with a big kitchen knife with a 2+m boa
I did kill it, and saved my cat, but really do not wish a repeat

so, how do I make a trap to catch a bigish boa ?
some looking yielded this video and got me to thinking

they use frogs as bait and as a stream runs alongside my house it is clear that I will always have snakes, but when they get large enough to go after a 15lb cat -> I want them gone
this business about taking snakes a mile away to release them is total bs, a big boa is territorial and WILL return

anyone have some ideas ?
needs to be something I can make, no stores here

help

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget catching it. .22 caliber high powered pellet gun with a scope. Makes no noise. One shot to the eye. Now if it's illegal to do that where you are, never mind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
all I have is a pump-up air pistol, doubt it would penetrate (their bodies are like flexible iron)

can I make a spray repellant ? do such work ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, what T. C. said! Maybe you have local wildlife officers who can help. Or maybe they'll be an nuisance.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
12 gauge was & is my only thought.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Keep the cat inside until it's gone.
last one stayed for 3 days that I saw, finally came in through a window
and how do I know its gone?
they will hunt a fixed target until something happens (am now fixing the window screens)

shotguns are legal, but pricy

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a search on air rifle laws there~ You might look into purchasing a Gambo Air Rifle, it fires a .177 pellet that will take out a boa, and most small animals. I've used Gambo's in the past and they are very effective. They do make a crack when you fire and are single shot but being an air rifle they dont appear to be illegal there. There are no good traps or passive repellants for snakes. And as smokey says you might just have to keep the kitty inside. My thoughts.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also consider a barbed 3-5 prong fishing spear on a LONNGGGG pole. Spear it at the head and run inside!

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Also consider a barbed 3-5 prong fishing spear on a LONNGGGG pole. Spear it at the head and run inside!

that's how I killed the last one, after attacking it with the kitchen knife I speared it with a 3/8 rod and then 1' into the soil
I don't mind being close to a boa (if I know its a boa ? ?), but at night its not to easy to be sure

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A .22 subsonic round (for less gunshot noise) to the head would be my first choice. The pump pellet gun would be my second choice. A shotgun would be effective but could be messy and will certainly be loud. If going the shotgun route, a .410 would be sufficient.

A boa is unlikely to leave on its own. Keep the cat inside. Its not proven, but some folks sprinkle hot dry spices on the ground where they see these snakes. A good use for old expired spices, better than just tossing them in the trash.

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use 3 prong treble hooks put the snake favorite meal on the hook, hang the treble hook just high enough the snake has to reach up to get the tasty treat, the hook will grab the snake and keep him high enough that he will drown on his own blood...

The type of snare also works great on coyotes, dogs, cats...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
last one stayed for 3 days that I saw, finally came in through a window
and how do I know its gone?
they will hunt a fixed target until something happens (am now fixing the window screens)

shotguns are legal, but pricy

A used single shot .410 might be your cheapest shotgun option. I remember buying one at Sears back when they sold guns, a cheap H&R, almost 40 years ago, and I think new, it was only $49.

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Use 3 prong treble hooks put the snake favorite meal on the hook, hang the treble hook just high enough the snake has to reach up to get the tasty treat, the hook will grab the snake and keep him high enough that he will drown on his own blood...

The type of snare also works great on coyotes, dogs, cats...

ladies and gents - we have a winner
a frog on a treble

reminds me of some Indonesian co-electricians, on vacation in So Cal fishing on a big resiviour that had big white ducks; they asked if they could catch a duck and immediately started to fill the boat with ducks caught on a treble with bread
they said landing them was an issue as they would swim underwater, onthe water, and flying in circles like a model plane
everyone else started catching ducks and in 30 min there were none left
I guess that's why there are limits ?

edit: have frogs and trebles, ss leader/teather; will set up and try tonight

edit2: do snakes eat frogs headfirst ?
do I need to rig them that way ?

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Didn't watch the Vid but.
I'd Just be patient. Eventually the Boa will catch it Itself :coffee2:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use a small frog, you want the snake to get the hook in deep..Maybe tie the legs to the line above the hook and hook the frogs head, so the snake will get the hook and head at same time...

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I Didn't watch the Vid but.
I'd Just be patient. Eventually the Boa will catch it Itself :coffee2:

since various boas have already killed one cat and then tried to kill another, it is my turn to attack
a woman who helps me with the varnishing declined to stop, and go catch some frogs to feed the snakes

OP
OP
BillA

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I would use a small frog, you want the snake to get the hook in deep..Maybe tie the legs to the line above the hook and hook the frogs head, so the snake will get the hook and head at same time...

I have big trebles and could set the barbs enveloping the frog's head, leader out the back & hang head down; a hook-em helmet
gonna get a new name Toecutter; Frogjigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions