fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Every so often I check Craigslist and Ebay to make sure I don't see familiar pictures of claims for sale that I know for certain aren't. My lord if you want to see whose honest and whose not, now is a good time. Take a look and check out the lead in's to their sales pitches - "Dredgings legal", "the bans over", "dredging opens this June", "start mining immediately everything transferable" and my personal favorite "never been mined". People got no scrupples, fricken crooks!

Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes a location monument is usually at the enterance to a mining claim as well as corner and anglular markers where needed There should also be a sigh stating safety rules for said area . The big difference here is what kind of equipment you are using being had tools and detectors OR mechanical heavy equipment , IE excavation equipment , wash plants , ETC . This all plays part in a claim . I think this horse , Has been beaten enough , It is all up to interpatation . Excuse my spelling issues as I had a severe head injury in 2003 , before that I was very articulate and My sentence stucture was as well . Not so much so now .

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like they say, "A FOOL AND THEIR MONEY"! Clsbrns if your at the zoo pay attention to your kids! Don't want them eaten by a lion!

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Amen GI! could you see the Hoffman's claim it would look like a grave yard with all the monuments LOL! Wouldn't they have a monument on every drill hole they found gold in? I thought somebody went to the zoo

I THINK that where the confusion came in was on where the monument of discovery has to be located. Yes.... There has to be one on each and every claim and it is supposed to be maintained. Is it supposed to be right on top of where the discovery was made? NO!!!! As long as it is within the boundaries of the claim and has the required information then you're good. Placing it right on top of the discovery is stupid on several levels. First off, it would be like a sign saying "DIG HERE!" to any thief. Second, how would you be able to dig said minerals out if the monument is right on top of them? The common practice is to locate the monument at the corner or edge of the claim that is most likely to provide access to that area. This allows the person finding the monument to know that the area they are entering is claimed or staked for claiming and the boundaries of that area. The map is required to show the location of the monument in relationship to the rest of the claim.

It's an unfortunate truth that not all miners maintain their stakes and monuments and that over the years other inconsiderate users of public lands or even mother nature will remove them. Try keeping a corner marker in place when it happens to be in a wash that is subject to flash flooding! When the water comes tearing down a wash and is pushing VW sized boulders with ease, a poor little corner post isn't going to stand a chance!!! (Or course neither will anything else that's in its way)

Another problem I've run into out here is that in some areas there are still many old markers in the ground that are no longer valid. Makes doing your due diligence a real pain at times! Many people will give up on an area and just walk away without filing a "Quit Claim" deed with the county or pulling up their old markers. Going through the records at the county has shown me that many areas have been claimed at different times over the years. Very few of them have Quit Claim deeds filed.

As to Toddlys' claims.... it would end up looking like the tombstones at Arlington National

OP
OP
fowledup

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It went from shysters selling claims to monuments when I found that the blm requires discovery monuments on ALL mining claims.

The fact that this is new news to a person who has no problem sharing their wealth of mining and claim staking knowledge is more telling to me than anything I've read in this entire thread.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/U]

The fact that this is new news to a person who has no problem sharing their wealth of mining and claim staking knowledge is more telling to me than anything I've read in this entire thread.

It is unfortunate that that people asre so easily pulled out of context of a sentance structure . I can easily see how one gets hyper focused on a few words , in a sentence and is able to derive a different meaning of said sentence .

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is unfortunate that that people asre so easily pulled out of context of a sentance structure . I can easily see how one gets hyper focused on a few words , in a sentence and is able to derive a different meaning of said sentence .

I think it has more to do with personal agenda than the topic or subject in this thread, and no matter how many people reply with valid incite I doubt it will ever end.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like orange kittens.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol ....I had one named potato. He lived 16 years. He would walk on a leash. He would sit on my shoulder when I drove....he was like 15 pounds.....he was orange...I liked him a lot....(one of this threads true stories)

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
you need a discovery monument where you made the original discovery not every paystreak. On my claim there is dust in every shovel of dirt you can bet my monument is a long ways from the paystreak I work.

Yes exactly!

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have any educated input for this thread subject but all I do know is- "Claim broker shysters" is probably the best thread title of all time in a gold prospecting forum lol.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amen Brother , The fact is if you don't get to find the Gold where you want for free , even if they Keep it , in said findings . Run and run fast Brother , for sure they are shysters !!!

LynnDigger

Feb 19, 2016
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX Metal Detector Deepseeker Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok...I hope someone is STILL interested in this thread because I'm sitting here having a panic attack! I am new to Treasure Net - just joined i few minutes ago - and this was the first thread i read. And...I am one of the 'fools' you spoke of. Over the past few months I have purchased 7 claims...online...without ever seeing the claims. Without asking for any of the proof you have suggested. Without knowing anything about mining when I started. I visited the forum here to get information on the current status of suction dredging, which until I read this thread i thought was my biggest concern. I've spent an enormous amount of time learning after I made the decision to get into mining but somehow skimmed right over the most important part. I've been educating myself and spending a lot of money on equipment and the date of departure for my first trip to locate and mine the claims is days away. Now I am left to wonder if I even legally have those claims. So...if you have the time, a new fellow member here could desperately use your advice. I am seriously in a panic.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok...I hope someone is STILL interested in this thread because I'm sitting here having a panic attack! I am new to Treasure Net - just joined i few minutes ago - and this was the first thread i read. And...I am one of the 'fools' you spoke of. Over the past few months I have purchased 7 claims...online...without ever seeing the claims. Without asking for any of the proof you have suggested. Without knowing anything about mining when I started. I visited the forum here to get information on the current status of suction dredging, which until I read this thread i thought was my biggest concern. I've spent an enormous amount of time learning after I made the decision to get into mining but somehow skimmed right over the most important part. I've been educating myself and spending a lot of money on equipment and the date of departure for my first trip to locate and mine the claims is days away. Now I am left to wonder if I even legally have those claims. So...if you have the time, a new fellow member here could desperately use your advice. I am seriously in a panic.

Head over to MyLandMatters and start researching. Hopefully you didn't get burned. You can see BLM info along with county info on the site. If it shows all good look for new claim markers when you get there if none head straight to county recorder make sure no new filings then make sure everything in your name. Not all claim sales are bogus maybe you got lucky. If you like MyLandMatters drop a donation Clay has a hell of a site to help us miners. I take it from you post you are headed to Calif.

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head over to MyLandMatters and start researching. Hopefully you didn't get burned. You can see BLM info along with county info on the site. If it shows all good look for new claim markers when you get there if none head straight to county recorder make sure no new filings then make sure everything in your name. Not all claim sales are bogus maybe you got lucky. If you like MyLandMatters drop a donation Clay has a hell of a site to help us miners. I take it from you post you are headed to Calif.

I would also check with an attourney for some advice if you don't find what your looking . Remember That really all you bought is likely the mineral rights not the physical property . Any deeds ,etc should be sighed and dated with a notary stamp atleast . Sorry I ment to catch both quotes .

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't panic. Just go dig and see what you find. There may be gold (or not) but either way you'll have an adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread