bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's look for the Pegleg!

SoCal guys, I have come up with what I think is a great idea for looking for surface gold of the Pegleg kind.
I am willing to discuss my thoughts here, but I need to know if there is any interest. There is NO INVESTMENT
needed, just some advice and perhaps some time if anyone wants to pursue it.

I will trust that no one here will take my idea and run with it without letting us all know.

If there is any interest, sign up below, and I will lay it out there. I don't think this technique would work
anywhere else in the US, but anyone can join in or comment.

Upvote 0

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is a pegleg?

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SoCal guys, I have come up with what I think is a great idea for looking for surface gold of the Pegleg kind.
I am willing to discuss my thoughts here, but I need to know if there is any interest. There is NO INVESTMENT
needed, just some advice and perhaps some time if anyone wants to pursue it.

I will trust that no one here will take my idea and run with it without letting us all know.

If there is any interest, sign up below, and I will lay it out there. I don't think this technique would work
anywhere else in the US, but anyone can join in or comment.

OK, Bob, count me interested. Maybe not right now, as the 111 degrees in the desert isn't very comfortable, but interested anyway. I'm in Valley Center.

JB

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's private property. As in not yours. As in off limits. As in criminal trespass.

And now the owners are on notice of your plan. They are probably signing up for your "plan" right now. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's private property. As in not yours. As in off limits. As in criminal trespass.

And now the owners are on notice of your plan. They are probably signing up for your "plan" right now. :laughing7:

I think we're talking about 2 different things. Is there a "Pegleg" mine somewhere with a filed claim?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
There are many sites from Warner Springs to Yuma that are touted to be "THE" Pegleg Mine. Some of these sites are indeed on private property, others are within the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park. A few sites are within current military areas, with one unlikely location within the Salton Sea. Those that are on Indian Reservations would likely be troublesome to anyone not negotiating with tribal leaders prior to exploration.

Still, there are many purported Pegleg sites on lands that are open to exploration. My advice: Do your research. Know the land status. Other than that, enjoy!

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sheesh!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
what is a pegleg?

Pegleg was a fur trapper with a wooden leg that supposedly took his furs over 1,400 miles to Los Angeles (A farming town of just 1,600 people) in the 1850's and made a killing on the sale. :icon_scratch: While he was crossing the "Mohave" :icon_scratch: desert to get to Los Angeles he lost the trail by over 200 miles and discovered a hilltop with a few "black gold" nuggets which he was never able to locate again.

Pegleg was a famous, some say legendary, liar. Yes the story is flakey and yes the nickname "Pegleg" has been used by miners to call someone a liar for more than 100 years. Many have searched for his "treasure" and several have discovered surface nuggets with a black desert varnish coating in several different locations in several southwestern states. They are not uncommon in the desert southwest.

Heavy Pans

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Not my doing Asmbandits. I'm not the kind of guy who would rat out a fellow explorer. I'm just saying if you put out your intent to trespass on a public forum you should be prepared for the probable outcome.

Much of the exposed gold in the area has black desert varnish on one side. As galenrog pointed out you had better be real sure of the status of the lands you are hunting before you begin to explore.

There are two gold mines within the area in question by the name of "pegleg" that have been patented (private property). Most of that region is private land, Bureau of Reclamation, Wilderness, Military gunnery range or State land. Not a friendly combination for the treasure hunter.

Heavy Pans

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some of the old Desert magazines that have articles about a guy who claimed to have found Pegleg's gold. Everytime the guy would write Desert magazine, he would include a couple of nuggets, some with the black coating still on them, and some with the coating taken off. He remained anonymous.

He said he found the gold by accident. He was a rock hound, taking a lunch break, and was just picking up pebbles from the desert floor and tossing them, when he notice one was really heavy. took out his pocket knife and scraped the pebble, it was gold! So he started picking up more pebbles, and by the weight found more.

When he left, he marked with stones his path so he could find his way back. He didn't file a claim because he knew he could not be there all the time. When he next returned, he had the best metal that was around, i don't remember the exact year, but late 50s or 60s. And he found a lot of gold. He did not sell the gold locally, but took it to Alaska during the summer to sale where it would not bring attention to him.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my doing Asmbandits. I'm not the kind of guy who would rat out a fellow explorer. I'm just saying if you put out your intent to trespass on a public forum you should be prepared for the probable outcome.

Much of the exposed gold in the area has black desert varnish on one side. As galenrog pointed out you had better be real sure of the status of the lands you are hunting before you begin to explore.

There are two gold mines within the area in question by the name of "pegleg" that have been patented (private property). Most of that region is private land, Bureau of Reclamation, Wilderness, Military gunnery range or State land. Not a friendly combination for the treasure hunter.

Heavy Pans

I read it differently I guess, I'd atleast like to hear his idea just out of curiosity, based on that info mabey he should be cautious of trespass, or see about getting permission from the land owner.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks clay, interesting story, makes life timeless

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I read this story in ICMJ i think, a reprint of the original...

I have some of the old Desert magazines that have articles about a guy who claimed to have found Pegleg's gold. Everytime the guy would write Desert magazine, he would include a couple of nuggets, some with the black coating still on them, and some with the coating taken off. He remained anonymous.

He said he found the gold by accident. He was a rock hound, taking a lunch break, and was just picking up pebbles from the desert floor and tossing them, when he notice one was really heavy. took out his pocket knife and scraped the pebble, it was gold! So he started picking up more pebbles, and by the weight found more.

When he left, he marked with stones his path so he could find his way back. He didn't file a claim because he knew he could not be there all the time. When he next returned, he had the best metal that was around, i don't remember the exact year, but late 50s or 60s. And he found a lot of gold. He did not sell the gold locally, but took it to Alaska during the summer to sale where it would not bring attention to him.

OP
OP
bobinsd

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am doing some research to find the parts necessary for the plan. I need to find an app that
will enable me to transmit a screenshot live from one smart phone to another over short distances
less than 100-200 yards.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not real bright when it comes to computers, but wouldn't video chat or skype work for what your talking about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread