Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did u read what I even posted or said... I am not denying his grandpa found the gold in super enriched material....not river water... and if you see the patent I posted and relate it to the actual tests you wills see why.... and I never said it was impossible get gold out of water......ever I never said that because it isn't true. You are right trying stuff is fun. But, you arent going to have results anywhere near Charlses So go for it. and thanks for bringing up the A.c o.e. keep in mind they ran those studies for a reason and and never acted ... Makes one wonder how much is in the water in a gold rich area like mine vs. The economically barren area your in as far as gold deposits..... I really really want to see pictures of your results...I'm sorry I upset you by trying to include facts relevant to your experiment.

Last edited:

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reptwar1,

There are many facets to these forums and threads with a wide range of gold recovery methods and personalities discussing them. There is also a time when knowledgeable people of good intentions feel they need to contribute to a conversation as incredible as this one. There has been a little chiding with light humor as well as substantial disagreement. This is all OK, no harm done by discussion.

There is also plenty of thread space to prove or disprove the validity of these processes.

Be of good cheer,
Mike

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
No; Jet Dry reduces the surface tension of water so solid small pieces of gold don't float. If it is microscopic gold particles, you are not really going to catch them with a dredge even if you knock them to the bottom. That is the reason for the burlap coated with Vaseline or other oily substance.

Please define 'microscopic ' in terms of a size as you intend for it to be used and understood here. Thank you.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went to the creek today. Found a picker under a rock. I coated my socks with oil. Getting ready to burn off my socks now. I will report back and let you know how much sock gold I get! I will weigh the gold under the sole separately as to not skew the scientific results.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of you seem like intelligent people. But you still arent grasping the concept that I DONT THINK I WILL GET RICH! Should I apologize for starting this thread? Well, I'm not going to. Again, I appreciate the non- sarcastic input. And for the others....bless your hearts lol

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right it is elemental gold..
What do you mean by elemental ? As opposed to what? A troy OZ bar is elemental, yes? how do you intend for your use of the term to limit or describe for the purposes you use here? I need to understand that before I can figure out what you intend to convey.
.no matter what I should say sub micron gold...
just checking - you are actually using that size of less than one micron and refer to that which would pass easily pass a screen even smaller than 2500 mesh? (2500 mesh equals 5 micron).
either way there's like 25 tons in every cubic mile of seawater... it is not economically recoverable. When it is that size out of any kind of water....your river water is not richer than ocean water even if going through a gold bearing area like where I live....they can barely register mercury in moving water...therefore you are not talking about what's in the water even. Your only results are from a settling pond....it is so rich that if you were doing actual science it would be tossed from the results!!!!! Problem 1
Therefore you must be trying to recover from guess what sediments!!!Your trying to get someone to capture enough of Something through any of your mentioned systems! Water no because your not going to recover gold from water that way.. so suspended gold something big enough to have water even move it on whatever scale.....in moving brownish river water your greasy whatever is most defiantly catch more crap by weight than gold.....EVER.....in ANY.....RIVER ANYWHERE.....PERIOD...... The science behind that is called..

"Duh"....and I own the mining journal article.....I know it well and that is why I didn't include it because It is irrelavent. The material ran was not river water or bank run or even rough classified it was it's own batch.On a dredge hibankedr or wash plant out put. Based on the fact that the gold is moving way too fast for the capture area you could feasibly have. Its a non-starter. Every contrivance imaginable has been tried....most great discoveries are accidents!.....there literally should be a saying something along the lines of......."well boy you can't just put a rag in the river and expect anything but to wash windows"....

Yep that one's pretty good... tonight the part of kranky grandpa was played by .Fog horn Leghorn..... yep I can 5o tally hear it;)

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkansas river gold. Found by a guy that lives approx 60 miles upriver. 2 hours with a gold cube:)

Attachments

• 1442093707433.jpg
    1442093707433.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 77

driver

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually learned a few things from this thread so i wouldn't say it's a total bust...Debate usually stirs up some cool facts.

As far as placer mining in Arkansas, or even gold mining in general, it's probably the worst place in the US to find gold...Most stories of Spanish gold mines etc. are fairy tales that have never been substantiated...I think there was a guy in Rogers who started mining operations on the basis of psychic visions and never found much at all.

I've seen reports of some specks found here and there in Arkansas but i've never been able to find much in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains. This is in the area of where the Spanish mine was said to have been...And speaking of saltiness, samples taken from the Ouachita Mountains during an investor scheme were said to show lower concentrations of gold than found in ocean water...

With that being said, i'm all for trying any method that might work..Keep us updated on your experiments.

driver

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arkansas river gold. Found by a guy that lives approx 60 miles upriver. 2 hours with a gold cube:)

That's a lot...Especially in only two hours...I can't imagine many others in AR doing better than that.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually learned a few things from this thread so i wouldn't say it's a total bust...Debate usually stirs up some cool facts.

As far as placer mining in Arkansas, or even gold mining in general, it's probably the worst place in the US to find gold...Most stories of Spanish gold mines etc. are fairy tales that have never been substantiated...I think there was a guy in Rogers who started mining operations on the basis of psychic visions and never found much at all.

I've seen reports of some specks found here and there in Arkansas but i've never been able to find much in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains. This is in the area of where the Spanish mine was said to have been...And speaking of saltiness, samples taken from the Ouachita Mountains during an investor scheme were said to show lower concentrations of gold than found in ocean water...

With that being said, i'm all for trying any method that might work..Keep us updated on your experiments.

Lol I am 100% with you on PART of your comment. I do believe that any "mining activities" can be associated with schemes to sell land to unwitting investors. Likely salted or plain fairytale. However, every time I pan at the river bank, I find bigger flakes than I find in black sand sent by friends from Washington, Oregon etc. Granted, I dont find alot but Im just panning, and we all know how slow and arduous it can be. I recieved my new gold cube in the mail yesterday, and will run tomorrow, and hope to post some good pics. Not sure as to the origin of our river gold, but it is here. Im sure I wont have to wait long for someone to dispute this fact lol

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the way things are going on this thread, Im waiting for someone to call me a liar on the pic that I posted. I consider all of yall friends, even if we disagree. But, seriously...unless youve tried the method in question, to discount it, is just as ridiculous, as me suggesting it:)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold starts to suspend at 74 microns. In a still pond some gold will stay suspended indefinitely. At what size I don't know? This is suspended gold...

https://www.google.com/search?q=col...ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIpK-tvaLyxwIVSII-Ch1HEgyR

Why dont you try doing what we did? Stirr up the pond and float some burlap coated in fish oil or coated in vegtable oil?

74 microns is 200 mesh= to prtland cement and at the low end of placer recovery. 53 microns "remove visable particle from liquids" silt is 44 microns....
When u ou hit 25 microns you go in visable to the naked eye ...550 mesh....there is no "mesh" available below 400...same size as plant pollen.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean by elemental ? As opposed to what? A troy OZ bar is elemental, yes? how do you intend for your use of the term to limit or describe for the purposes you use here? I need to understand that before I can figure out what you intend to convey. just checking - you are actually using that size of less than one micron and refer to that which would pass easily pass a screen even smaller than 2500 mesh? (2500 mesh equals 5 micron).

Like small very small below 44 micron....the kind that you can't catch with an oily rag

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or at least enough to justify trying

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the way things are going on this thread, Im waiting for someone to call me a liar on the pic that I posted. I consider all of yall friends, even if we disagree. But, seriously...unless youve tried the method in question, to discount it, is just as ridiculous, as me suggesting it:)

Found with a gold cube...!!

driver

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nope. Not me. I'm just here to learn...

Considering there's no decent sources of gold within our state, the Arkansas River would seem to be the only option left. How any workable amounts make it to the tail end in Arkansas is something i'm not knowledgeable enough to really comment on. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread