Sheet in stream to catch gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever heard the stories about old timers stretching sheets across streams to catch fine gold dust? I have read it on several sites but now cant find any of them. Reason Im asking....just got off the phone with a guy that did something similar and caught just over an ounce of gold in 2 weeks. The guy then told me that his contact with USGS informed him that every 24 hours, $16,000 in suspended flour gold flows past the town that we live in. That price was in the 60's when gold was $30 an ounce. Allow me to adjust for current gold prices... Ready?...$541,560 EVERY 24 HOURS!! Now you see why I'm interested lol

Upvote 0

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
With that much gold floatin on by I think I'd spend my time looking for the spot where it's goin! Did your friend mention what thread count works best? Any old sheet work or does it need to be Egyptian cotton or maybe flannel for the really fine stuff?

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually he used a method that consisted of mercury somehow attached to a copper screen. Nowadays, the EPA would be throwing tantrums in the streets but back in the 60's, not much regulation. Since talking to him this morning, Im racking my brain as to how to run linen of some sort across the river. Wont be easy though, as there is maritime traffic from bass boats to barges. Im thinking of maybe following the river upstream of the lock and dams into Oklahoma?....

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Hello.My reason for this Post is Twofold.Have you read anything on the capturing of MICRON Gold with Sacks full of ACTIVATED CHARCOAL,just string them across the Stream,and set back.Also,I'm new here and I can't seem to find the "POST" Button,to Post a Question/start a new Subject,any help?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man .....

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
stoneshirt,this just a thread on the Gold prospecting forum section of Treasurenet.You can reply on this post.To post a new thread go back to the Gold prospecting forum section and on the top left it reads post new thread.

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the replies. And Ive never heard of the activated charcoal thing but I will research it. This is a small community and yall are always welcome to my little Arkansas town with accomadations. So long as you have the solution to grab the $500k that floats by my house every day lol kidding of course but serious about the welcome. Hard to find gold prospectors around here and its about all I live for!!! If we could even get 1/1000th of that daily amount, I think we'd all be sitting comfortable!!!

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!! $300 per cu ft...wish I could rig something across the whole river with that lol My major dilemna, is the fact that it is a major route for barges, and recreational boaters. I wonder if I could do something like that closer to the source of the gold near Colorado...where the "river" is merely a stream....

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good read! Thanks a bunch but I wonder how hard it is to precipitate the gold back out of it

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And being a big, fast flowing river, any ideas as to how to contain the MetalZorb while it captures the flour gold? Maybe some buckets anchored to the bottom of the river?...

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
You would have to run the water thru a pipe stuffed with metalzorb. The pipe would have to have a screen at the end. Their website explains different ways to use it.

In a deep river it would be pretty easy to setup something similar to a gravity dredge to move water thru the pipe

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10-4. Thanks again. Just not sure that I have the means to start an industrial size project like that

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
It would cost very little to try oleophilic adhesion

OP
OP
reptwar1

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the center of the Arkansas River, I would guess 20'. They frequently dredge to make room for barge traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread