May 11, 2011
Ottawa
Found an air test comparison
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqBp4bEZUQ[/youtube]

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the F2 not as good when it came out. The late models have either been improved or I tried a lemon as now the F2 is deeper. Faster in use, more sensitive and the target resolution is 100 segments compared with the 12 of the Garrett.
Better on wet sand as well, though neither will ever match multifrequency or a P.I.
I also preferred the balance/general feel of the Fisher.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher is lighter, easier to swing, faster recovery, and 5 year warranty compared to 2. I personally highly recommend the F2 over the 250 for several reasons.

May 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher is lighter, easier to swing, faster recovery, and 5 year warranty compared to 2. I personally highly recommend the F2 over the 250 for several reasons.

Does the pinpointing on the F2 work as well as on the ACE 250? I was leaning toward the 250, but these are interesting points you have mentioned.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointing works better on the Fisher. The Garrett pinpoint seems to move off with depth.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
When the Garrett Ace 250 first came out, it redefined what you could get at an approx. $200 price point. It quickly became a popular low end unit, and still is.

FTP-Fisher took this as a challenge, and our answer was the Fisher F2. Performance, features, ergonomics, it's just plain better than the Ace 250. I'm not saying that to knock the Ace, after all, the Ace worked then and still does, and since it got there first it probably still outsells the F2 by a wide margin.

Now I suppose there are some Garrett fans here who may want to defend the Ace 250. That's fine, it's a good product in its price category. This thread asks the question which is better. Usually things like that are "apples and oranges", but in the case of the F2 vs. the Ace 250, they're similarly priced intended to do the same sort of job for the same sort of customers. Comparison is fair dinkum.

I don't think any Garrett fans will argue that performance-wise the Ace 250 is the sort of product that wants to take on the F2.

I don't think any Garrett fans will argue that the Ace 250 ergonomics are superior to those of the F2.

I don't think any Garrett fans will argue that the Ace 250 features add up to more useful stuff than the features of the F2.

I don't think any Garrett fans will argue that the Ace 250 has a better warranty.

--Dave J.

May 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks very much for the responses. No offense to the ACE, but I'm now likely to go with the F2 and feel comfortable with that decision. I'm also looking at the options that come with it, I see they have a pinpointer kit.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both good units, key differences are :
Modes : Ace has easy modes setup ( coin/relic/jewelry), Fisher and Ace have notch capabilities
Target ID : Fisher has VDI numbers
Depth meter: Ace has a bar every 2 inches, Fisher has actual inches in Pinpoint mode.

They are both a great value for the money.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder why no one looks at the Teknetics Alpha, which seems to be the equivalent to the Fisher F2?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions