minelab excal 2 vs cobra beach magnet

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
These deceptive advertisments from what should be a respectable company are sad. To Kellyco's credit maybe they think nothing is wrong with the Beach Magnet. It is like showing a cheap car and a Vette side by side at a track, they are both cars. But one of those is hardly a metal detector for the beach or anywhere else. But newbies don't know this and are only looking at the difference in prices and think they are equal. :laughing7:

It is like having a Yugo and a Mustang side by side in an auto magazine.... They both roll down the road, but that is the only similarities....

When I saw that I laughed. Par for the course for kellyco.

scrounger d detector collector said:
if u want a laugh look at the newest issue of w.e.

treasures. right inside the front page is a kellyco

ad. showing the excal 2 and the beach magnet

side by side. i suppose the idea is their both beach

machines. but i dont think they should be shown

together as if the cobra is a true option.

it dont belong on the same page w minelab.

I think the intention of the ad was to show the range of options when looking at a beach detector, not to pretend the cobra can hold a candle to the Excal. Most consumers will do their homework and decide where they want to come in as far as price, etc. Certainly wasn't meant to be anything misleading. Lots of companies do the same thing. They show what's on the dollar menu and work up to their higher priced items. This is an advertising way of grabbing all people, not just those looking for a Mercedes (Love Mercedes LOL).

Believe it or not we sell a LOT of the Cobra and the average return rate is the same as any other detector we sell.

Some people think that the sun rises and sets in minelabs a$$,,,,,!!!!!!!,,,,,,,not me!!!!!! :headbang: :coffee2:

Just the luck of where your coil swings, and research!!!!

artzstuff1 said:
Some people think that the sun rises and sets in minelabs a$$,,,,,!!!!!!!,,,,,,,not me!!!!!! :headbang: :coffee2:

You said that just right......... I have to agree with you.............

Artzstuff & Keppy, couldn't have said it better myself :headbang: Yes, Minelab is without a doubt one of the best detector brands out there. However, it doesn't mean it is THE best detector brand out there. Many others will perform just about the same as well. Without the $$$ price tag of course :laughing7:

They did a famous scientific/psychological study many years ago. It was led by a group of scientists & researchers. They took a cheap pair of costume jewelry earrings and put them on the check-out counter of a womens clothing store as an impulse item. They first put a price of $5 on them. After 2 days, there were virtually no sales. The next 2 days of the experiment they changed the price - NOTHING ELSE. They increased the price to $135. Guess what? Yep, you guessed it. They couldn't keep them in stock. Shoppers ASSUMED that a higher price meant better quality or a better product. This couldn't have been further from the truth obviously. Can anyone say Nike or Polo? You're paying for a logo. One that's made by immigrant slaves in another part of the world.

While I would never advise going cheap on anything...price does make not a quality product alone :sign13:

artzstuff1 said:

THAT could not be further from the truth. Well, maybe if you are talking about coins and junk within a few inches of the surface. I'll go with that. THE most important thing is to learn all the ins and outs of whatever detector you use. I see it all the time as newbies spend a small fortune on an expensive Minelab, and whine about how poor it performs only to find out they had the settings all jacked up or were using the wrong type of coil for what they wanted to do. The reason I keep mine so long is because I don't really feel that I completely know them for quite a while after I buy them.

I have had all sorts of metal detectors over the years, and by far, Minelabs have consistently been the best performers (as well as the longest lasting). My original Excal I bought in 1995 (or 1996) and used it until it died and was replaced with an Excal 1000, which I still use.

I have a heavily modified SD2000 Gold Machine I have used since about 1998. Never an issue and I run it at 7.6v instead of the factory 6v. No overheating.

XTerra 70 as well. Great little light weight detector.

No, the sun doesn't rise or fall on Minelab, but until I find something better, I will keep using it.

Mike

Minelab has taken the time to do advertising right , they take the best quality of each machine and make it known . They spend the time and money to make videos that are on the web for people to see there machines working ! When you go after data on there equipment you can find it and the writeup will be in detail .
Not many company's do this , just like a detector that I am looking at . The Teknetics T2 SE , I have found that page on there site but the data on the unit is sparse compared to what Minelab has on there detectors . Does not mean that the Teknetics is not a great machine ! But this is what will make the deference in someone buying one or another .

Minelab makes great machines , and they put the data out for all to see and to were you can find it without having to search Forums to find out specs and details .
Most of the company's are making very good products , but the ones who do the advertising right are the ones if you look that are selling the most units .

When the other company's catch on to this and take the time to make it easy for buyers to find out what they want about a detector and are able to find and watch good videos that are longer than 50 seconds about the machine that they would want then you will see the sales go up big time for most of them.
Look around and see how hard it is to come up with official data and videos on some units and you will see why !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back