Video comparing Minelabs Eureka Gold, Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Video comparing Minelab's Eureka Gold, Gold Bug 2 and Gold Bug Pro

This video has me changing my mind about which machine to buy for
nugget shooting. I've heard from very good sources that the GB2 and GBP
are very close in performance, but that I would be giving up a small amount
of sensitivity to the smaller pieces of gold with the GBP.

This chap seems to have taken steps to be somewhat scientific in his
comparative testing, and based on his results the GB2 had much better
depth (at least on the air test) on picking up the gold samples. The difference
with the 40mg sample was substantial, with the GB2 picking it up at 5 CM
(nearly 2 inches), and the GBP could only pick that sample up at 2 CM.
A 3cm difference works out to about 1 3/16" of an inch deeper, and for
those little small pieces of gold the extra depth the GB2 was picking them up
at what is, essentially, twice as deep as the GBP.

Here's the video I watched, and would appreciate any thoughts as to inconsistencies
that might have skewed the results, etc. I really like the GB Pro, but don't
mind the manual ground balancing if it truly makes that much difference
in performance.

Mike

Upvote 0

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't go wrong with either but I'd personally get the GB2. It's the king of VLF gold detectors.

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DizzyDigger, ''skewed the results'' yes an airtest will skew the real performance of any detector. I would not reccomend anyone buy a gold detector based solely on an air test. Targets, gold, in untouched ground can be a whole different signal especially in mineralised conditions. You should buy from a dealer that is willing to let you see real results on real ground. I am not saying one detector is better than the other but any detector needs to be used in real time conditions before making a decision. Mineralised soil, wet or dry soil, size of target, type of target, so on, so on, makes a big difference and these differences do not show up in an air test. Just my opinion, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't go wrong with either but I'd personally get the GB2. It's the king of VLF gold detectors.

I'm getting that sense more and more. Thanks for the great input!

DizzyDigger, ''skewed the results'' yes an airtest will skew the real performance of any detector. I would not reccomend anyone buy a gold detector based solely on an air test. Targets, gold, in untouched ground can be a whole different signal especially in mineralised conditions. You should buy from a dealer that is willing to let you see real results on real ground. I am not saying one detector is better than the other but any detector needs to be used in real time conditions before making a decision. Mineralised soil, wet or dry soil, size of target, type of target, so on, so on, makes a big difference and these differences do not show up in an air test. Just my opinion, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Can't argue with that one bit. Thank you Ray. With my background in EMC I should have considered that
signal response in an air test certainly can't match the added impedance of the mineralized soil, etc.
duh.gif

Had many detectors over the years, and got great advice from Dave J. about the GB2 and GBP.
He had suggested the GBP due to it's ability to still coin shoot, however the more I consider that I'll be
nugget hunting with the machine 99% of the time, the extra work manually ground balancing
doesn't seem like a drawback. I learned back in 1968 that keeping a detector in balance is the
only way for it to perform at it's full potential.

That settles the question for me...GoldBug2 it is.
americanasmiley.gif

Dizz

(I swear, Gold Fever's worse than re-living puberty!)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The higher the frequency, the better the air test.

The higher the frequency, the more in ground performance will suffer in relation to the air test.

It is a generality but that is the way it is. Air tests are great for proving what a detector can't do (if it won't pick it up in an air test not likely to pick it up in the ground) but air tests can mess you up otherwise. The Gold Bug 2 air tests great but I have not seen nuggets floating in the air since I quit drinking.

I honestly do not even have to watch the video when I see a 5" round DD being compared to a 6" x 10" DD being compared to a 4" x 6" concentric coil. How many variables can we mess with here?

My favored testing method is haul detectors into the field, find something with one, then try others on target.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steve/Terry. Thanks for the great input, especially the add'l info about air vs. ground.

Unfortunately, the closest Detector shop to me is 80+ miles from home, so I'll be
making this buy sight unseen. I've had Fisher machines in the past, and there's no
worry about quality, etc., it's just a matter of selecting what's going to work best
for my gold hunting.

Gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow and see if I can find out some more
details. Research always pays off in the end!

Mike

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I am a Gold Bug 2 fan. Do not get me wrong on that! It is great at what it does but it is not a depth demon.

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, I am a Gold Bug 2 fan. Do not get me wrong on that! It is great at
what it does but it is not a depth demon.

Have you been reading my mind Steve??
smiley_emoticons_borg.gif

Was just thinking about that today, as the penetration at higher frequencies would be reduced
somewhat in comparison to a lower frequency. I'm sure Fisher is pumping all the power to
that coil that they can, and still have it remain stable. Having the larger 5"x10" elliptical for
the GoldBugPro and a bit lower freq. might also make a huge difference in depth when hunting
more open ground and away from the "tight spots".

As far as prices go, I can get the GBP with both the 5" round and 5"x10" elliptical coils for
approx. $650, and the GB2 is only one coil (but a damn good one!) and $750. I've still got
a few days to make a choice, as I'm waiting for the CZ6a to sell so I can proceed.

Decisions, decisions...
bur2.gif

Mike

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm right with you Mike, down here in Australia, trying to make a decision between the GB 2 and GBPro (with two coils) lol.. when i read "not a depth demon" i think OH CRAP! lets go with the GB Pro.. But then i think how much of a difference in depth will that 5" DD or 5"x10" make? @ 19kHz over 71kHz with the 6" or 10" coils of the GB2. are we talking inches? cm? mm? for nugget shooting. I'll be doing a fair bit of bedrock shooting, old creek beds etc... (not a relic hunter nor coin shooter)

I have a detector buying headache..

- James

OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm right with you Mike, down here in Australia, trying to make a decision between the GB 2 and GBPro (with two coils) lol.. when i read "not a depth demon" i think OH CRAP! lets go with the GB Pro.. But then i think how much of a difference in depth will that 5" DD or 5"x10" make? @ 19kHz over 71kHz with the 6" or 10" coils of the GB2. are we talking inches? cm? mm? for nugget shooting. I'll be doing a fair bit of bedrock shooting, old creek beds etc... (not a relic hunter nor coin shooter)

I have a detector buying headache.. - James

Best cure for that is 2 aspirin and a pint of Squire's Amber Ale, sleep on it and flip a coin in the morning
(after you wake up a bit......
need_coffee.gif
)

Here I was choosing between the two Fishers, and now Terry had to go and post that excellent video on the capabilities
of the Eureka Gold. Thanks Terry...
GAAAHsmiley.gif

After watching that video (and many more on the Eureka Gold) it seems the Eureka
Gold as a bit of a step up both in price and capability. I like the idea of the three freq.,
and that 60kHz freq. is right up there with the higher freq. of the GB2, plus you've
also got 6.4 and 20kHz when hunting deeper. Only downside I can find so far is that
there are not many optional coils. Minelab does show 8" and 11" round coils, but it
would be nice if there was a smaller 5" coil for working those tighter spots.

For those who remember the show; as Vinnie Testaverde used to say "I'm so confused!"
umn.gif

Well, the extra cost is not a deal-killer for me, and it won't hurt a bit to wait a couple weeks.
My dad used to say that when there's no emergency, it never hurts to sit back and study
on something for awhile. In this case I think he was dead-on target. I'll let y'all know what
the ultimate choice was once I get it on order.

Dizz

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got quite a bit of experience with the ML Eureka Gold, My wife purchased it about 12 months ago.. at first we were both really impressed with its performance..
the 6.5khz 20khz settings are very powerful good depth.. however the second you switch to 60khz all the GOOD goes out the window.. depth is gone, sensitivity is iffy..

I've read that the 60khz setting is "Soft" whatever that means... Either way, Sarah has had success with the Eureka pulling a .883 Gram nugget Friday afternoon4
She just had to 1 up my .444gr i scored with the GP 3500, She enjoys rubbing in the fact that i paid $3200 for my machine, and she gets better results..

Anyway, I truly believe the Gold Bug 2 is a better detector for the money. The gold bug pro might go deeper, but will it detect those tiny pickers?

I'll take Experience over specifications any day!..
Lend us more of your wise words Steve!

trinityau

Jan 20, 2010
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, GP 3000 modified
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK fellas, you are starting to talk about big coils, etc now. We were talking about VLF's for gold. I loved my GBII and my Eureka Gold, now I use the GB Pro. VLF's are only going to make you xxxxxx happy. If you are going to be taking this hobby on in earnest you will need a good PI, several out there, and a good VLF. In my opinion if you are already wanting to get a larger coil or a unit that will accept more coils you are getting away from the basics. All three of the units mentioned are fantastic on ''bedrock" gold. That is baically all my VLF is used for. For example if you get a WOT for the Eureka Gold you may hear a signal missed with the smaller coil, however I would bet that the signal was probably a tad larger and would have also been picked up by a PI. Also if there are pieces the same size the PI would continue to pick them up at a bit more depth leaving the WOT out in the cold. I hope this example will help.

I have found literally pounds of dinks all over with my GB II. I have done the same thing with the Eureka Gold. I have been using the GB Pro the last two years as my primary VLF simply because to me it is just as sensitive to tiny gold as the both of the other two units however it has worked at many locations where the other two failed. In Nevada's basalt fields both gave me trouble years ago. In California's serpentine areas both gave me trouble. In Arizona's iron littered zones both gave me trouble. I have been able to go over much of the same ground with the GB Pro and get more gold out, easier. The GB Pro stays balanced better, I can work under powerlines better, I can use it in the water and with the advent of this new five by ten eliptical coil it will punch far deeper. To be clear, I am not talking about the eleven inch black relic coil. These are my opinions on the three units mentioned. Remember, the type of terrain, brush also comes into play when making a selection for a gold detector. These are two considerations that are big to me as I hunt in stuff most people shy away from. This is also why I do not even consider the other VLF's on the market because they have too much stuff to hang up on.

As I stated above I used the Eureka for many, many years. I am not sure what they mean by soft on the 60 ban. I can and have found just as much smaller gold on the 60 ban with a very sharp signal. I did find that while using the 60 ban I had to change my tone variance and volume adjust a tad.

All three units are capable of finding pieces so small that it would take five to ten dinks to make a grain, not a gram, this is small gold we are talking about. Again, these are my opinions. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lend us more of your wise words Steve!

I hate compromising. I have two Gold Bug 2 detectors (the second is just in case they stop making them so I have a backup). 6" and 10" coils. And because I agree with Ray I have a Gold Bug Pro with 5", 10 elliptical, and 11" elliptical. And I have a F75 SE with 13" Ultimate coil that consistently gets an extra inch on the Gold Bug Pro on large gold so I have to keep it. I also have the 5" DD, 6" concentric, and 11" DD for the F75.

If I had to have just one I would keep the Gold Bug Pro, but it would bother me knowing there are times I would want the other two. Why have just one? Whenever I hunt with other people I almost automatically use something different then they do. If I hunted with Ray and he had his Gold Bug Pro, if I was expecting small gold I would be using my Gold Bug 2. If I thought there would be bigger gold, I would probably use my F75. That way I might hit gold he would miss or vice versa, and working together we increase the odds. And no interference issues to worry about.

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to throw out one not on the list. GMT or it's cousin the MXT rocks! I have actually found more gold in North Carolina using a GMZ (yes a GMZ! I sold it because it was just too automatic for me.)

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For my purpose, i'll be using the detector on dried up creek beds / washes.. bedrock is less than 4-5" down for the most part, very little overburden.. I'm pretty sure the gold but 2 - GB Pro will do the job just fine..
BUT as the gold in my area is small i feel like the gold bug 2 or pro would be my two best options..

BUT, then i think maybe i want to do some relic hunting, so the Pro would be the better option..

UPDATE: After reading http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/316402-minelab-eureka-gold-questions-should-i-buy.html#post2983120 this post, and seeing the AWESOME results trinityau got with his Gold Bug Pro My mind was made up

So i place my order for the Gold bug pro. Should arrive here in Aus in a week or so.. Gotta love America, cost 200$ less to order it overseas and have it shipped here..

Thanks again for all the info, And apologies to DizzyDigger!!! I somewhat hijacked your thread!.. I hope you got as much out of this thread as i did..

- Agh

Last edited:

GrnEydGuy

Greenie
Mar 8, 2013
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Funny as this exact dilemma is what led me to this forum and this thread... Ausgoldhunter, i am very curious to know if you received your GBP and how you are taking to it so far.

As a beginner to prospecting and metal detecting I am really grateful for all the intelligent dialogue regarding the exact same 3 units I have been looking at. We have a Gold & Treasure show coming up this weekend at the fair grounds and I will be holding off on a decision until I have had a chance to talk this over with folks who have used these machines in North Idaho / Eastern Washington / Western Montana.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm going to agree with Ray and Steve on how skewed the video results are.

Moreover, I've never really been able to figure out, either, why people go around making air tests on targets with gold detectors. What's the point of an air test if you'll never be looking for gold in the air?

I just wish people would stop making air test videos about gold detectors and their sensitivity. It's like bouncing fishing lures along your driveway, gathering test data as they fly through the air. You might like the action of the lures, and maybe you'll find out all kinds of cool things about colors, spinners, body core shapes, etc., but you'll never get any hard data on how good they are at catching a fish.

I hope you enjoy nugget hunting once you get your detector. There really is nothing quite like it.

All the best,

Lanny

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having owned and used all 3 of the detectors mentioned, here's my 2 cents worth. I found; the gold bug 2 was a pain in our local area where bands of bedrock intersect every couple of feet, meaning a big change in ground balance adjustment. It was super sensitive to hot rocks and ground minerals too.
The Eureka had a funny warbling threshold, and made weird warbling noises over different targets, I could not adjust to this, but others might. I like a nice stable even threshold so I can hear any tiny changes.
The Gold bug Pro is what I now have, it's not for sale, and no you can't borrow it. I might get a PI one day but the Pro will be with me until the end (unless they make a wireless version). Just my opinion. NUGGY

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to see you back here Nuggy!

All the best, and thanks for the input on the GB-Pro,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread