New Pinpointer Report

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on the advice of many of you I bought the Garrett Pro-Pointer, (PP). I took it out for the first time today. My initial impression was that it was smaller than I expected. At just under nine inches, it is compact and lightweight. It is essentially easy to use right out of the box. You push a button and it works. There are instructions, but the most helpful to me was to turn it on well away from the target and then move it close to the area where, if it senses the target, it vibrates and buzzes. These reactions are more pronounced as it gets closer to the object. Unlike a metal detector, it does not have to be moving to find a target. You move it to locate the signal and then to pinpoint it exactly.

I placed a common dime, quarter and penny on the ground and moved in with the probe end. I felt it stir when I was about three inches above each coin. At two inches, it was sounding off. As I moved the pointer around the signal came and went.

My GTI-1500 has a feature called Treasure Imaging, which is a mullti-function pinpointer (he discriminator). It puts me within about a three inch circle of where the target is, tells me the metal type, size of the object and the depth. With that information I can usually find the target with no problem, so I was not sure what the need of the pinpointer was. I went hunting to find out.

I scanned an older tent campground where I knew I could find coins, keys and some occasional jewelry, along with the normal assorted trash. The trash includes many nails that comes from various wood types burned in fire rings. The soil is sandy and imbedded with many rocks and stones.

My first find was a clad quarter. The MD sounded, I looked down and could see the coin. Love it, no digging! Then I had several trash targets and I ignored them, per the discriminator. Then I got a hit that looked and sounded good in my GTI-1500's opinion. I was told it was a dime about three inches down. I marked the spot with the MD Imaging and brought the Propointer into play. It saw nothing at that spot. So I scraped the soil a few times, removing about an inch of the pebble surface. Remember, I was trying to learn the PP at this time. So I used it again and it now sounded of a little. I went down another inch and it really reacted. I dug out a trowel full of dirt and set it aside. Now the PP did not see anything in the hole. I moved to the dirt pile and began to probe around and it found the dime.

That is how it went for the day. I found a lot of junk nails, pop tops and such, but I was digging more than normal in trying to learn more about the PP. My over all impression is that I would have found just as many coins without the PP as I did with it. However, I did find them faster once the MD marked them. This is especially true when I had to dig a bit.

The soil here is so hard and compacted that most coins are within half an inch of the surface. I can usually just move the little pebbles around and see the coin or whatever. I still need to test it in other soils.

Over all I am pleased with my limited three hours of testing. I was able to cover more ground by cutting down on the time between when the MD found the target until I had it in my hand. My knees are old and bad with arthritis, so I cannot get down on my knees to dig. I must bend over at the waist and support myself with an elbow on my thigh. The less time I spend I that position the better. The Propointer will be a big help there.

I do want to emphasize for those in a more loamy soil where the targets are three to twelve inches down, the PP does not see the target until you have done some digging. Mine, new, out of the box, with a good battery, had to be within about 2.5 inches before I got a good signal from it. I would not want you to walk away from a find because it did not react from the surface.

It is a keeper and I thank those who advised me to get it. I look forward to working with it some more in different situations.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Upvote 0

Ren

Greenie
Dec 26, 2012
Solano County
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a coincidence! I've gotten the same pinpointer from my wife as a anniversary gift. Just opened it today. Took it out of the box and went straight to the backyard to the holes I've dugged but was unable to find the treasure. As soon as I turned it on and started to search, it went off right away! I'm very pleased with it also, glad to hear I've made the right decision also! It's a tool that will always hold value for it's quality.

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't hunt with out one. Love it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes that garrett Pro pointer can't be beat i use one..Have had one since they came out...... ... I sold my 1500 and got the AT Pro .... But i still liked my 1500 better....Who knows i might sell my AT Pro and buy another 1500......

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir...a great tool indeed. it's purpose is to find targets faster instead of digging...picking up the detector running it over the plug...then running it over the hole....then you dig some more and repeat that process over.....that's what is nice about the propointer...turn it on...and it aids you in finding the target fast and can zero in on the area inside the plug so you can dig in that small concentrated area.

I think the more you use it...the more you will like it.

cschiefs

Nov 28, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari :-)
Nice article! We just ordered one a couple of days ago - can't wait for it to get here.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait Untill You See the Quarter Signal I Got Today!!!! The propointer was Buzzing the Signal At 7 inches from the top You Will Be Amazed!!! Happening Soon Chug And Red I Will post a link here when red gets It Done!!!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me the garret not pro pointer is all hype

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lift loop, what do you like better?

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool thanks for sharing been thanking bout getting me one one of these days

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lift loop, what do you like better?

cen-teck

harbor freight

was weened on a white's bulls eye ll the light on the thing helped me out of the forest lots of time....

Last edited:

Jeremy76

Jan 16, 2013
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you probably already know this but most of the time you can pin point before you even dig. Shallow coins of course.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh, sorry...I which pointer tool do you prefer? ...and why of course.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not image hunting without one. I kept going over to my hunting buddies holes and pin pointing his target for him. I said ok this is the last time. He showed up with one next hunt :laughing7:. It is not hype is speeds up recovery time and can keep you from tearing a target up. Faster recover more targets dug. The thing will find a staple in a dirt clod. I had the Harbor freight one and gave it away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread