XTERRA 505 HELP WITH COILS?

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
the new 505 seems to work great found some pennies,with the stock 7mhz,was looking for what coils are avail for the 505 for mostly wooded areas and open fields for coins and relics?what is best for dep looking and for coins ,relics do i go down to a 3 or up to the 18? do i use double d or concentric wow i need help please. thanks

OP
OP
G

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
i wasa told the 3 mhz is the one to have saying it goes down deeper but mor smaller are any truth?

Trackerman

Jan 23, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field Pi/Whites Dfx/ Garrett At Pro/Garrett Ace 250/ Whites M6/ Detector Pro Pirate /Tesoro Sand Shark/
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV/ Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18.75 9 inch best for jewlry .3klhz best for deep silver and 7.5klhz good middle ground wiil find silver coins and some jewlry. Relics and jewlry id say 18.75khlz. Just silver and coins 3klhz. Combo of some few jewlry and coins 7.5klhz stock coil.

OP
OP
G

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
you guys reccomend going with the minelab coils or aftermarket? asn i guess i gotta get the 9 inch 18mhz double d or concentric?anyhow what kind of settings do you have on your xterra for regular soil. like wich # for threshold,sensitivty,ground balance all help is needed thanks

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I prefer the 5x10 HF for goldfields. It helps alot in cutting through the mineralized soil. It is most important that you properly balance your machine when starting out. The concentric 7.5KHz is a great all around coil. However, my favorite is the 9" concentric 3KHz for silver coins. The only person that is going to be able to answer your questions on settings is...you. What works for me could possibly drive your machine crazy in your part of the country.

OP
OP
G

goldeagle

Jun 28, 2009
THE EAST COAST
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,EXCAL-II
thanks,my machine has been acting goofy i was out today old 100 year old house and the ground balance i was all over the place 17 then 27 i think something might be wrong with my xterra?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
My X-Terra 70 has changes in ground numbers by 10-15 in a short distance in some places. I think it's just inconsistent ground. HH, George (MN)

Digger USA

Jul 9, 2008
Midwest
Detector(s) used
X-Terras, Advantage, Etrac, XLPro and usually a few others
Minelab makes 8 coils that will work with your 505. There are currently no aftermarket coils available. The 9-inch concentric comes in 3 kHz, 7.5 kHz and 18.75 kHz. The 6-inch comes in a DD at 18.75 kHz and a concentric at 7.5 khz. The 10.5 inch DD comes in 7.5 kHz or 18.75 kHz. And the 6 X 10 elliptical comes in 18.75 kHz.

In a nutshell, lower frequencies provide a better response on higher conductive targets such as silver and copper coins. Higher frequencies provide a better target response on lower conductive targets such as gold coins and jewelry. Lower frequency coils will find larger targets, deeper. Higher frequency coils are more sensitive to small targets. All three frequencies will detect all metals. But the audio response is different between them, depending on the target composition. Concentric coils will detect deeper than a comparibly sized DD, in moderate soil conditions. However a DD coil will detect deeper in highly mineralized soil, due to the DD design acting as a neutralizer for the mineralization. DD coils separate targets better as well.

After setting your noise cancel channel, set your ground phase setting (GB). Some folks find it useful to lower the sensitivity while setting the GB and raising it after reaching the proper GB. I run mine so that it is just on the brink of chatter. Set the Threshold to a level that is just barely audible. Setting it too high can result in a target not producing enough signal to overcome the sound of the threshold. Setting it too low can result in a target not produting enough tone to overcome the silence. Chose the number of tones you want to listen for and start detecting. Check your GB occassionally as soil conditions can change dramatically. The difference between a yard a the flower bed can be 20 or 30 points. HH Randy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread