Pre/Post Civil War Camp

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Just got back online after a couple years hiatus....these finds are from an accidental find in the woods that I grew up in...My brother and I were searching a dried up creek bed when I got tired and crawled up the side of a nearby hill to rest while my brother continued walking upstream...long story short...i rested,turned on my detector,signal, dug an Indian Head, screamed, brother came running, dug until dusk and dug again the next day....seems we had stumbled onto an old camp not half a mile from my parents house in woods that i played in for years and years before...never knowing what I was walking on over and over again...

There should be six Indian heads, but for some reason i can't find them all....also, my brother found the oldest...an 1834 (oops 1835 edited) large cent with a hole in the top...oldest coin found in this area that i know of...didn't even become a county until 1842...

Attachments

• P1091167.JPG
    P1091167.JPG
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,502
  • DSC00353.JPG
    DSC00353.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 1,291
Upvote 2
Here are some close-ups of the rings...

Attachments

• DSC00352.JPG
    DSC00352.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 1,294
Awesome digs!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is a close-up of the bell...anyone know what it was used for?...it has a small numeral 2 on top...also found several pieces of metal (broken pot lid, maybe?) that has the numeral 2 on it as well...

Attachments

• DSC00344.JPG
    DSC00344.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,274
Nice finds. I bet theres a lot more waiting for you guys.

Very cool finds, congrats. Sweet bell :icon_thumleft:.

It's still a camp site cuz I'd be sleeping there!!
Sweet finds! :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back