rhedden
Sr. Member
- Joined
- Mar 23, 2003
- Messages
- 394
- Reaction score
- 853
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Eastern NY
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Manticore & Nokta Makro Simplex
I have been hunting a very old farm site the past three years that has been very productive, yielding thirteen coins prior to today. (I've mentioned this place a couple of times on this forum this past summer.) Everything I found there until today was either copper or nickel, and the ground was not kind to any of the coins. The previous coins dated between the 1780s and 1884. I simply could not find a silver coin out there, even after about 15 to 20 hunts, but it finally happened today, and how!
I was detecting a former field that must be 400 to 500 feet downhill from the cellar. I had no luck in this area until I located a nice flat button this afternoon. I set up shop and fanned out from the area near the button. About 100 feet away, I got a very sweet 60-61-62 signal on the Manticore that was 3 or 4 inches down. It's an Indian cent, or maybe a large brass button, right? No - out popped a Spanish silver! I'm a bit stunned, as this 1773 Half Reale is my oldest silver coin of all time, beating out a 1781 Half Reale that I dug three years ago.
I was detecting a former field that must be 400 to 500 feet downhill from the cellar. I had no luck in this area until I located a nice flat button this afternoon. I set up shop and fanned out from the area near the button. About 100 feet away, I got a very sweet 60-61-62 signal on the Manticore that was 3 or 4 inches down. It's an Indian cent, or maybe a large brass button, right? No - out popped a Spanish silver! I'm a bit stunned, as this 1773 Half Reale is my oldest silver coin of all time, beating out a 1781 Half Reale that I dug three years ago.
Attachments
Upvote
6







