WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally managed to get some pics of the cemetery.

View attachment 1489481
View attachment 1489482
View attachment 1489483
View attachment 1489484
was told that traditionally the children would have lambs or doves and the adults would have Bible or praying hands. If they could afford it. This cemetery has a few lambs, two Bibles, and one with praying hands. Most have only inscriptions. There are 41 tombstones in all.
View attachment 1489485
View attachment 1489486
View attachment 1489487 praying hands
View attachment 1489488 lamb

Some have been repaired by others and some need repaired. I lifted and straightened some of the little ones as best I could.
View attachment 1489489
View attachment 1489490
View attachment 1489491
View attachment 1489492
View attachment 1489493
View attachment 1489494
This one has had the "recently been buried" look since before we bought the property. I don't know why the grass won't grow there. That is a foot stone for the grave in front of it.
View attachment 1489495

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is this cemetery?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doesn't look abandoned. Has residents and looks taken care of. It does look peaceful. Nice place, can you read any of the tombstones to get a date?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hardly 'abandoned' with 41 'occupants' still there.
I'm also amazed that a graveyard could be purchased.
Was any burial also accompanied with a deed to the plot?
Can you share the background of the cemetary?
Don.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Ohio became a state on February 19, 1803. The county was carved out in 1807. We purchased 40 acres of an original 80 acre tract. The original owner, George, had a few parcels of land. This particular 80 acres was bought in 1832. His brother, Robert, owned a tract of land across the street and next to George's other tract. George was a minister of the Brethren in Christ Church. The church was located on Robert's farm and George set aside this plot on his farm for a church. Over time the church relocated to a nearby town and then became a different denomination. At some point the cemetery was handed over to the township to take care of. But the various landowners actually own the cemetery. When the township decided there were no living local relations, they turned the care back to the owner. That's why it's considered abandoned. When we purchased the 40 acres, it was very overgrown. Our lawyer said we could do anything (or nothing) we wanted, including dozing it and building our house there. Although, he didn't recommend it. We were like, "No way! They made a movie about that sort of crap and we're not going there!" He laughed. So, it's my job to take care of it.

The first known grave is 1855. The last was 1900. The youngest was a baby girl, one day. The oldest was a lady that lived 90y 11m 28d.

Thanks for taking an interest.

BTW... I originally posted thread Family reunion at the farm under geneology, but I didn't have pictures.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I located a cemetery from the 1850's through my research and at some time in the past it had been taken over by the farmer that purchased the land and now farms it. Not a single head stone was in sight and there is now row crops being planted over the bodies. I brought it to the county judge's attention, but to date nothing has happened yet. Good for you taking care of this one, I hope you get the ten fold you deserve.

L.C.:notworthy:

OP
OP
W

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I located a cemetery from the 1850's through my research and at some time in the past it had been taken over by the farmer that purchased the land and now farms it. Not a single head stone was in sight and there is now row crops being planted over the bodies. I brought it to the county judge's attention, but to date nothing has happened yet. Good for you taking care of this one, I hope you get the ten fold you deserve.

L.C.:notworthy:
I don't know if every state has the same laws, but what I remember from the lawyer was that once it's "abandoned" the land owner can do with it as they wish, EXCEPT for digging up the graves. That's a big no no. With all the ancestry research, people may start changing those laws somehow. To me, it would be heartbreaking to find one like you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread