Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting this because I see people on here talking about holes in bones.I find all sorts of bones hunting & can tell you that holes are common.They are from were the artery's supply the bone with blood.They can be found in leg bones jaw bones & many other bone from all types of animals.From birds,hoofed animals,reptiles,human,etc.It's just common holes that are needed to supply the bone.I hope this helps out the bone hole deal going on.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
Somewhere on the side of your thigh bone, there is a tiny hole. It’s called a “nutrient foramen”. An artery passes through this gap, suffusing the bone with blood and oxygen. The hole is found in all thigh bones, from those of birds to lizards, and it always fulfils the same function. But it can also double as a keyhole into the past, allowing us to peek at the lives of animals long extinct.

Attachments

• Nutrient_foramina[1].jpg
    Nutrient_foramina[1].jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 95
Upvote 0

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time killer! Been to your part of the country many times and fished the Big Rock! Hate to think how many times I ran by Blackbeard's Queen Ann Revenge! Saw your post on bullet holes! Interesting phenomenon!! High Velocity injuries vary widely, but routinely exhibit some type of bone fragmentation, depending on impact, density, etc, etc! You are correct in post, and interestingly artery conduits are relatively different from impact injury! Interesting post!! VERDE!!

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, Timekiller, a very important and informative post! These types of holes are called foramen.

coteau

Apr 12, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-TERRA 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find a bone fragment with a foramen that makes easy to identify what part of the skeleton it came from. I took an osteology class in college and that was the hardest class I ever took (in regards to memorization and visual spatial skills). I respect osteologists and biological anthropologists, it takes a certain kind of intelligence that most people don't have. A good osteologist can even identify a bone fragment by touch alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread