What's new

Hoof or animal toe bone with hole found in marl on my street.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2013
Messages
1,739
Reaction score
3,151
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in March of 2019 after the county road dept. added marl to the low spot in the dirt road here.
A group of fossils with one really neat curved triangular one (+-1/2" each side) that is taller at one end with a perfectly round hole in it. Because it is fossilized I'm assuming the hole is natural and not man made. Not sure if this one is a tooth, hoof, toe bone or from a marine animal.

Looking for any help adding a proper name to this item in particular and what animal it may have belonged to.

I'm posting images of all the finds that day in the one area because it was an odd mix. Definite sharks tooth, mineralized bone with ball joint and possible canine tooth or conical shaped corprolite(?).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Let me know if more images are helpful.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
 

Attachments

  • ToothMaybeMarlRoadFind_Group2_March2019.webp
    ToothMaybeMarlRoadFind_Group2_March2019.webp
    67.6 KB · Views: 84
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_ImpactedSand1__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_ImpactedSand1__March2019.webp
    70.3 KB · Views: 73
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleUnderside1__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleUnderside1__March2019.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 67
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleBottomw_NiceCloseupImpactedSandRemoved4__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleBottomw_NiceCloseupImpactedSandRemoved4__March2019.webp
    82.2 KB · Views: 73
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleBottomw_ImpactedSandRemoved8__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleBottomw_ImpactedSandRemoved8__March2019.webp
    70.3 KB · Views: 76
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_NiceImpactedSandRemoved4__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_NiceImpactedSandRemoved4__March2019.webp
    63.6 KB · Views: 64
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleCloseupWideEnd1__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleCloseupWideEnd1__March2019.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 74
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_NiceImpactedSandRemoved5__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleTopw_NiceImpactedSandRemoved5__March2019.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 67
  • MaybeToothwPerfectHoleWideEnd_RightSide2__March2019.webp
    MaybeToothwPerfectHoleWideEnd_RightSide2__March2019.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 67
I have a couple of those that i found in a creek in south west Goergia. I'm waiting for an ID too. That hole does look drilled....
 
It looks like a skate tooth, if "tooth" is the right word. The hole is unique, either a marine animal did it or it was done way later by man.
 
Thanks Indian Steve and Smokey.

Food for thought as I hadn't considered the skate tooth scenario. I had thought of some kind of tooth but the tall area (opposite the tapered end) looked more like it might fit together with another bone.

I was thinking along the lines of a marine "parasite" boring into a host like some creatures do to mollusks, but they are usually going for some meat. Nothing here to eat it doesn't seem. The wavy raised lines on the bottom side reminds me of something but can't quite put my finger on it.
I even considered a turtle/tortoise toe.

It seems a human would have been more centered (symmetrical) in the location they chose.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom