Argillite Lanceolate Blade, Maybe

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found among plenty of chert points, other artifacts, on an obvious camp / village site. Well worn, for sure, but I think I see one 'ear' still left at the base.

Could this be made of argillite? An 'inferior lithic' according to Boudreau: known to be softer, more susceptible to weathering than chert; and because of its poor fracturing characteristics, argillite points were just shaped - not thinned. Argillite points were made on large flakes that were as thin as the finished product. Thus, the lack of flaking patterns typical of chert points.

Picture here a Stark point, and yesterday's suspected argillite lanceolate piece.

Stark1.jpg

Virgil 1.jpg

virgil 2.jpg

Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, the lanceolate piece is made from Lockatong argillite, sourced in NJ and Pa. Since you have Boudreau's guide, you'll note that he mentions a surprising number of Fox Creek points found in southern New England are made from that particular lithic. The Fox Creek folks did favor that lithic, and it's likely your piece is a Fox Creek Lanceolate.

It always surprised me that these people made it a preferred lithic, enough to import it from a distance. It weathers very poorly. I just imagine there must have been some "cultural" reason for this preference, since there were any number of better lithics in my region to choose from.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the lanceolate piece is made from Lockatong argillite, sourced in NJ and Pa. Since you have Boudreau's guide, you'll note that he mentions a surprising number of Fox Creek points found in southern New England are made from that particular lithic. The Fox Creek folks did favor that lithic, and it's likely your piece is a Fox Creek Lanceolate.

It always surprised me that these people made it a preferred lithic, enough to import it from a distance. It weathers very poorly. I just imagine there must have been some "cultural" reason for this preference, since there were any number of better lithics in my region to choose from.

Couldn’t agree with you more.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Maybe that's the only quarry they could use without getting shot. Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread