🥇 BANNER My smallest point and largest point in the same day -Epic too small a term

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1728287-8dcb2230ffec8e30447b8aa859b5aa99.jpg
1728268-34578e6343bd09796e0f70ab42367c2f.jpg
1728309-1ece8ff6df06f5fed040372f97cf12d6.jpg

I drove to one of my far away places yesterday, I was trying to get there between rain storms as the corn is just starting to come in.

Place #1 was inaccessible as the creek was flooding. I was hoping the flooding would have subsided but it didn't. So...I went to Place #2 on the same farm, you have to cross the railroad tracks, then go down a 3/4 mile lane/dirt path/ car and truck eating swamp thingie.

Well, I called the owner from the high side of the field, there is a small place there you can pull off a car. He said it would not be wise to try it. A couple had been down there in their jacked up 4x4 pickup and got stuck. So I used the detector as cane #1 and shovel as cane #2 and started down the path, looking on each side for artifacts. Found zip. Got to the bottom and went over the known "good" spots. all I found down there was a broken net sinker. Bummer. I wasn't even finding any flakes. I found some fire cracked rocks, but not enough to concentrate on, PLUS every time I took a step it was like sink down 6" in the dark mud.

You couldn't really grid this field, it was too wet. So I started meandering back to the truck. I finally started finding a few flakes. The ONLY material found there, with the exception of one Flint Ridge, Ohio flake from a couple years ago is the Onondaga Chert, out of NY which is like 5 miles away.

Moving toward the driveway (mud puddle road thingie), calling it a road insults all other roads in the nation, I spy something thin poking out of the dirt. I snagged it and found the smallest arrowhead I have ever found. IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2896.JPG This is absolutely the smallest, complete point I have ever found. I washed it off a bit in a mud puddle and realized the material is different than the normal lithic material from this spot, but couldn't ID it at that time.

It is just over 1/2" long, is PERFECT and I was holding it between my fingers last night it punctured my little finger! Sharp as a razor after all these centuries! Wow! And it is nearly transparent. I'm having a problem getting a picture but light shines right through it. Here's my best try. The dark veins are still attached dirt. I haven't scrubbed it, I rarely "scrub" artifacts. IMG_2902.JPG

So, I safely put it in the side pouch, at least I found SOMETHING. I then crossed over the one glacial pond, scoured out by the last glacier to hit the area and started grubbing on the other side of the imaginary road. One horrid step at a time with the mud trying to suck me down down down. I spied a few more flakes, no tools. There were, again some fire cracked rocks, but not many.

A few more steps and I saw another razor edge of rock of a lighter color sticking out of the ground. I went to retrieve it, slop slop slurp of the mud, and pull out a monster! I took it over to the mudpuddle and washed it a bit and freaked! First, it's an archaic dovetail and after I got more dirt off of it, it is also made of Flint Ridge, Ohio flint! No doubt on this one! It is almost 6" long and NO DAMAGE! Now how the points on this farm have survived, I have no idea but it may be because the floods there move them in and out of the plow range over time and they only appear in the plowable zone every once in awhile. Flint Ridge is 400 miles away! I know the material was highly traded. I found an Adena blade near where I live when I was maybe 18, but none of the material since then till yesterday, of course with the exception of the Flint Ridge materials I have found at Flint Ridge itself - duh.

Definitely once in a lifetime hunt! IMG_2894.JPG IMG_2899.JPG

And as an afterthought, the mud was so bad truck would not let me in it until I got some of so I used two Cokes to rinse off my shoes to some extent. It's pretty hard for an old "mudder" like me to do this, the wash this am included my shoes -yeah, to haul myself through a mud pit anymore.

Make sure to zoom in on the points to check them out better. I suppose if you drove a total of 400 miles, round trip, these two make it worth while.

Here are the rest of the flakes, a few cores and what may or not be part of a broken banner stone. I don't think so, but...

IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2917.JPG And a hammerstone. Perfect hand size and lots of pecking done on the one end. The upper side is hand polished due to use. IMG_2918.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 107

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
We have found a few on this farm. It is crazy that they stay sharp! For some reason though, my eyes pick up on the fossils mostly. Riding the 4-wheeler: Ooh, hey, stop! There's a fossil. Walking at dusk: Ooh, hey, there's a fossil! I'm getting quite a collection.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. It was very hard navigating the mud pit. Very few artifacts were visible. Mainly fire cooked rocks. I was thrilled to find the little guy! And then WHAM! At least I managed NOT to wreck the truck coming home with both of them. I may go up one more time this spring, but it was 93 today.

Last edited:

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wannddig3867, the big one only had a small portion sticking out, it also would have been missed except I was having such a crummy day I was grasping at straws, so to speak!

The points that come of this site are either smashed to smithereens or sharp and perfect like the day they were made. I think it was last year I found two archaic stemmed points that would still cut you!

Great finds Smokey, you didn't find any needles in that haystack; but you found 2 sharp points! Great finds! I'm a rookie (70 yr old rookie) and live in Elbridge, NY. I found my 1st 3 points last summer during the pandemic.
attachment.php

Attachments

• My 3 points plus.jpg
    My 3 points plus.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 54

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I haven't looked for awhile as the corn is 8' high and the yellow jackets are out.
Hi the corn in places is still high up here and the bees are being very aggressive as the temps are starting to gradually lower and the leaves are starting to fall.
I searched a nice stream looking for points but better luck next time.
A lot of the areas where they used to have their camps is privately owned and off limits
Take care

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to Go on those fine pieces!! IF I lived back east I would get a drone and infra-Red cam and find a lot of camps, throw on ultraviolet cross strobe and find civil war stuff much more easily, nickle, silver and gold up to 15ft deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread