Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I’m new to artifact hunting. The nice point with the broken tip was found by my 10 yr old daughter last weekend. Now I have the bug! I walked some fields today and here’s what I found.

My questions are-

Could the item on the bottom right be an incomplete arrowhead that was lost or discarded? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559012260.112173.jpg

Then there’s this piece, the edges look like they were intentionally chipped off. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559012313.853786.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559012331.395895.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559012348.536909.jpg

I welcome any input. I won’t be offended if the consensus is “dude, that’s just a rock”. I’m here to learn!

Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome, I'm far from an expert but most of those pieces look like they could be intentionally chipped in some way. Maybe debitage or crude scrapers. Keep looking!

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
They look like artifacts to me.

If you are out on the Plains, that looks like a nice piece of Knife River Flint in the group shot. (Translucent dark brown material.). If you are in Quebec or Atlantic Canada you might have some European flint that made its way over as ballast or as a gun flint.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice point that your daughter found,, and as to the item in the lower right hand corner, it is hard to distinguish. A couple more close up photo's from both sides might help. The other item in the other photo's looks very much like a chopper. They were manufactured from river rock, and used to flesh hides. Good to that you and your daughter have acquired the desire to search for artifacts. You should be in a good area to find some nice ones.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, I'm far from an expert but most of those pieces look like they could be intentionally chipped in some way. Maybe debitage or crude scrapers. Keep looking!

Thanks for the feedback, and I will definitely keep on looking!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like artifacts to me.

If you are out on the Plains, that looks like a nice piece of Knife River Flint in the group shot. (Translucent dark brown material.). If you are in Quebec or Atlantic Canada you might have some European flint that made its way over as ballast or as a gun flint.

Hey thanks. I’m North of the Dakotas, barely in Canada. I was told that majority of arrowheads around these parts are made with the brown flint.

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice point that your daughter found,, and as to the item in the lower right hand corner, it is hard to distinguish. A couple more close up photo's from both sides might help. The other item in the other photo's looks very much like a chopper. They were manufactured from river rock, and used to flesh hides. Good to that you and your daughter have acquired the desire to search for artifacts. You should be in a good area to find some nice ones.

Thanks old digger. The point she found is a beauty, I’m glad she found it. Hopefully she’ll stay interested and we can hunt together.

Here’s some better shots of the ugly one I found lol. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559018984.186035.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559019001.599813.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559019022.376043.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1559019039.617799.jpg

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hey thanks. I’m North of the Dakotas, barely in Canada. I was told that majority of arrowheads around these parts are made with the brown flint.

All three piece on top look like a type of knife river to me.

The large piece sure looks like it has had some nice flakes taken off all the way around it. It’s likely a core that some nice artifacts were made from.

The other piece in quest looks like it could just be debitage.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
That one piece looks like a unifacial scraper. Can't see the edgework from the side to see the step-fractures/angles. Third pic of it has me wondering for sure.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that the fractured crystal item in question was used for anything. There was much better materials in manufacturing points out here in the northwest. A good amount of your material should be Knife River Flint as you mentioned. The source was just south of you in North Dakota. P.S. Not a pro.

Last edited:

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
"Chopper" and "Flake Core" are pretty much synonyms -- dual use items (or potentially so).

The vein quartz biface was intentionally made, IMO.

FWIW

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody for the comments. I can’t wait to find my first really good artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread