Using Sandpaper to Prep Pan

sbsurfr74

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I recently purchased a couple of Garrett pans and I've been reading that they should be prepped or seasoned with a variety of materials. I've tried using a rough scotchbrite pad and I've also tried using fine steel wool. But, neither were successful in removing the shine. I have some 100 grit sandpaper here - okay to use it? I realize that it may create some pretty rough scratches in the process. Will this diminish the pan's ability to catch gold? Thanks for the tips!!

Upvote 0

H&F909ORO

Dec 26, 2013
California East Bay
Primary Interest:
Other
There's a guy on YouTube called AsJeffWilliams I believe and he has a video that tells you how to season a metal and plastic pan. He owns a garret super sluice which he tells you how to season the pan if I remember correctly. Check him out. I am not sure about using sandpaper for your gold pan. It's probably not a good idea, try doing some research as well. You also could just use it with any dirt and let the coat peel off. I would not recommend that though. Bed thing to do is research research research. Also if the scratches are big enough they might become an annoying feature on your gold pan. Good Luck!

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sand paper is fine,i treat mine the same way i prep a surface for paint ,rough it up good with the hundred you have ,then smooth it back out a lil with something like 400 grit,all oils gone, and not gouged up,but just right,i actualy use 400 grit from time to time just to be sure.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get a big scratch in the pan it will hold the black sand in the scratch which you don't want, you want to be able to get the black sand to the other side of the pan easy. It might not hold much black sand but its still annoying trying to get it away from your gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sand paper is fine,i treat mine the same way i prep a surface for paint ,rough it up good with the hundred you have ,then smooth it back out a lil with something like 400 grit,all oils gone, and not gouged up,but just right,i actualy use 400 grit from time to time just to be sure.
smart...use a grit that is finer than any of the gold you are chasing...200 or 400 is smart.

A couple minutes at the creek with some wet quartz sand works well too.

OP
OP
S

sbsurfr74

Tenderfoot
Mar 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I do appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread