Underwater leases

OP
OP
diverjon123

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How often have you been metal detecting between the low tide line and the 3 mile limit? Had any luck?

I've been metal detecting for 2 years. I've found some interesting things but I'm so surprised that all that land is leased.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
So u cant snorkel the troph from the cape to the keys? U cant wade from the cape to the keys? Oh oh

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Plenty of good recent stuff to be found scuba diving!! Think about all those cattle herd type snorkel boats and the same reef moorings they use day in and day out! Quick trip to the mooring balls usually pays off in jewelry of one type or another!

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What a crock :censored: I can understand a saltwater products lease on clams, oysters, etc. I agree if you find a wreck and the 3000 ft radius lease but this kind of corruption is ridiculous. Just another way for the state to make a buck and take away from the contributors of society.

Last edited by a moderator:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of good recent stuff to be found scuba diving!! Think about all those cattle herd type snorkel boats and the same reef moorings they use day in and day out! Quick trip to the mooring balls usually pays off in jewelry of one type or another!

That's a good point..but... if you read the letter of the law the way it is now...you can't "disturb" the bottom.
You can't dig/fan out anything.
Yet..money is collected for fossil permits and entire businesses are run on shoveling the bottom of...say...the Peace river into sifting screens..but for some reason $ there is a contradiction when it comes to metal..huh..go figure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does the lease affect shore diving.....assuming you had access to the ocean from the shore, where does the lease start?
How/where does one find out about leases.......

On leases you can legally hunt from mean low tide line to toe of dunes, you can't enter water beyond that..

Your lucky they only ordered you to leave, they could have done a lot more...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same state owned submerged bottom land..items from the same "people's trust".
Non replaceable and definitely older than fifty years.

Field_Trip_Peace_River_096sm.jpeg

Field_Trip_Peace_River_070sm.jpeg

PeaceRiverScreens.jpeg

Why is it that I'm scared to attempt this on the Indian river in a few spots I would sure love to?

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basically...exploration without a state lease is illegal. Removal of artifacts from state submerged land without a lease is also illegal.
Removal of artifacts from a "lease area" could be a Federal Felony depending on the actual governing law. The "1715 Fleet" Brisben leases are Federal jurisdiction.

As of July 2011

Attachments

• FL State Permits Web.bmp
    101.4 KB · Views: 292

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who and what is the state? Is it not for we, the people (at least in theory before it was taken over by corporate interests and corrutped politicians).
And wat about the difficulty in finding out the leases, justice???? A government of, by, and for the people?
Oh, my favorite, ignorance is no excuse...........excuse, I challenge ANYBODY, lawyer, judge or LEO on this........it is IMPOSSIBLE for anybody to know the laws, regulations, etc that are imposed upon we, the people.......
But not too worry, this is the land of the free, or so says the propaganda we are exposed to daily..........truth be damned.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep politics out of thread.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.. I didn't really have venting in mind when I posted that.
The point I was leading to was that I belive the fossil permit and everything that made it's existence possible and implementation successful should be looked at very closely as a framework for how to proceed.
I think somewhere back where that diverged from the path that the states advisors took artifacts is where the current situation needs to backtrack.
The isolated finds program was a solid one and well thought out.
The implementation in my opinion was half hearted at best... and that's where the failure occurred.
Where is Jimmy Carter when we need him. 8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
diverjon123

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess the verdict is is that leases are every where and mostly only the recent leases are the only ones that are watched and protected by the people. I'm still in shock on how many leases there are that cover the east coast of Florida

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess the verdict is is that leases are every where and mostly only the recent leases are the only ones that are watched and protected by the people. I'm still in shock on how many leases there are that cover the east coast of Florida

It is because of the sinking of the 1715 fleet, state wants to be sure they get their cut and lease owners pay a nice fee for the lease so they don't want anyone in their lease area.... Can't blame the lease owners for that....

It is mainly the Sebastian inlet area, it doesn't stretch all the way to Miami, I believe you can hunt from Vero Beach all the way to Miami. I know you can pretty much hunt from Jensen Beach to Key Biscayne....

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are two 1715 sites in fort Pierce ..one is an underwater preserve. Just north of the inlet the other is the colored beach wreck south of the inlet.
South of Walton Rocks beach should be fine.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who and what is the state? Is it not for we, the people (at least in theory before it was taken over by corporate interests and corrutped politicians).
And wat about the difficulty in finding out the leases, justice???? A government of, by, and for the people?
Oh, my favorite, ignorance is no excuse...........excuse, I challenge ANYBODY, lawyer, judge or LEO on this........it is IMPOSSIBLE for anybody to know the laws, regulations, etc that are imposed upon we, the people.......
But not too worry, this is the land of the free, or so says the propaganda we are exposed to daily..........truth be damned.

This is what I was referring too...

OP
OP
diverjon123

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is because of the sinking of the 1715 fleet, state wants to be sure they get their cut and lease owners pay a nice fee for the lease so they don't want anyone in their lease area.... Can't blame the lease owners for that....

It is mainly the Sebastian inlet area, it doesn't stretch all the way to Miami, I believe you can hunt from Vero Beach all the way to Miami. I know you can pretty much hunt from Jensen Beach to Key Biscayne....

Ok but is there any way to see where the guys lease I got kicked off of? It's south of west palm beach inlet and I'm pretty sure he just got the lease. Any way to tell how far it extends?

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok but is there any way to see where the guys lease I got kicked off of? It's south of west palm beach inlet and I'm pretty sure he just got the lease.

If you know borders of Palm Beach County, then you will understand this a little better..
This group also has been working north of WPB out from Juno Beach.
Getting a grant or having to search more north on a newly discovered, Thinking above Port St Lucie County, Is in the makings with the State
They just Won a lease for this back in June, Off Lanata Beach, Between West Palm and Boynton Beach..

Shipwreck Salvors, Seafarer, Get New Work

http://seafarercorp.com/press-release-november-12-2012/

Last edited:

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are leases covering all of Fort Pierce inlet to St. Lucie inlet. There are only a couple of spots south of Melbourne to St. Lucie Inlet that are not in a lease area.

If you want to know the current lease areas this would be a good contact:

Lindsay S. Smith, M.A., RPA
Underwater Archaeologist III
Bureau of Archaeological Research
1001 DeSoto Park Drive
Tallahassee, FL 32301
Fax: 850.245.6452
[email protected]
www.flheritage.com

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread