Got out a little today....................

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did get out a bit Friday with a gent I met a couple weeks ago...
He was kind enough to invite me to dig with him and we did some tests then some cleanups.

The tests were to check for losses in his system. There were some but no more than expected to happen.

He was using Gold Hog Low turbulence scrubber mat. The UR mat and moss at the end of the sluice.

Anyway he had about three weeks worth of cons that he hadn't cleaned up yet so we ran them through the Gold Cube.

Here's what showed in the first tray. As expected the second tray had some but the cube caught most of it in the first tray.

Someday maybe I will have a cleanup like this...

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 10.15.25 AM.png

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks great.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW!! That looks more like a commercial for GoldCube than cons from the beach--even 3 weeks worth! Beautiful....

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We managed to get out a bit today and a little yesterday to do some testing of the high banker configuration.
Here's what we got............ There is still more but it is going to have to be classified further to get it out of the black sand.
When these two pans dry out I will get it weighed and update here.

IMG_0598.JPG IMG_0599.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
OK... Got it dried, the magnetics pulled, and weighed. Came to 8.36 grain. about 4-5 hours shoveling and a hole 3 feet wide by 2 feet deep...... have moved more material for a lot less gold in the past.
I am not gonna retire or quit the day job but I will go back to that spot in the future.......

IMG_0607.JPG

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like I will be able to get out a little this weekend... Hoping to do better than last time.....
Also I will be helping a friend do some more clean up of his cons.... Love seeing that gold in those trays.

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well wasn't fantastic but i did get a little gold, and it was a spectacular weekend. It is getting a little late in the season now for the beach gold , the summer winds are here and that brings in the drifts of blond sands...... I may not get out much more ........
Anyway got 1.68 grain one day and 3.72 grain the next. A little over 1/3 gram..... still can't quit the day job..:laughing7:

IMG_0633.jpg IMG_0634.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a little black sand today. I'am going to weigh some of it and run it through my clean up sluice.

View attachment 1130820 View attachment 1130821

View attachment 1130822

Dang and I thought I got a lot from a nearby river. I dug in a spot in an outside bend where the river actually flows into the confluence with a small mountain stream. Out if a 5 gallon bucket of classified material, I usually get 3 gallons of Black Sand. So far, I have not seen any visible Gold in the Black Sand but there has to be some and I may roast and crush some of the Black Sand and see what I get. It will likely be easier to add Borax to it while in an Iron Pot or Skillet and put a torch to it to get the Gold to form into little balls.

Frank

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang and I thought I got a lot from a nearby river. I dug in a spot in an outside bend where the river actually flows into the confluence with a small mountain stream. Out if a 5 gallon bucket of classified material, I usually get 3 gallons of Black Sand. So far, I have not seen any visible Gold in the Black Sand but there has to be some and I may roast and crush some of the Black Sand and see what I get. It will likely be easier to add Borax to it while in an Iron Pot or Skillet and put a torch to it to get the Gold to form into little balls.

Frank

This sounds like a cool mini-smelt process. Do you then crush and pan to release the gold from the 'glass' slag?

Also, what ratio of sand to borax do you use?

...I'd like to try this!

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are officially at Bullards Bar as of tonight :) we will be here until Tuesday and then head up your way William. If you guys want to plan something in the next couple of weeks or have a beer, we are in B17 in the Bullards Camp Ground and are basically open finally, Thank God!!! We have spent the last 3 weeks rebuilding and moving into our old gold lab that we converted into our small retirement home. We gave the big house over to our niece so that someone would be there while we are gone traveling and the sewer, water and electric has all needed extra unplanned work to open it up again. There's lots of work to do still but we're on vacation now... from being retired!!! Lol :)

OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Reed.....
Glad ya made it safe and sound. I'll give you a call in a day or two.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People actually retire! When did that happen? Everything takes time to settle into it, best of success with the settling process!......................63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't eat fish but the fish and chips sold at a stand on the pier in Bandon is a must according to all my family and friends who go to Bandon to visit a friend who lives there. Don't blame me if you don't like them cuz I'm just the messenger.:laughing7: Crabbing from the pier will, at the least, give you an excuse to have a cold one or a hot coffee too.

Have fun and good luck if you do some beach mining with johnedoe and/or others!

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we finally got our first good storm and so I went up to my little beach to see what it is doing.....
The drifts are gone and the blond sands are getting a pretty good washing out.
So we may have some sand to work after all this.
Here's a short vid of the storm action.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Got another good storm the last few days but haven't been up to check out the beach yet...
Getting those late fall chores done in preparation for winter. ya know..... Well that and feeling my advancing years with the associated aches and pains....
Anyway I'll see what this next weekend brings and maybe get up there and check thins out.
Hope all the rest of ya are getting a little...:laughing7:
And if I don't get beck here before Thanks Giving .... Happy Thanks Giving to you all.

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey William, a good web site that I use to pick my day is windy.com. Left click your location to get your forecast, then you can also hit that red X, then the lower left arrow to set it in motion. Pretty accurate especially the closer in to the day and it's fun to watch those fronts coming in! I'm itching to get down to that spot I mentioned to you. I'll take some ibuprophene (sp) when I go.:tongue3: Happy Thanksgiving Day to you! the way the attachment says it's invalid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnedoe

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
hey John...
Thank's for the link, great site. I used magic seaweed.com and it was pretty good... It's a surfer site.
With all this weather and rain that other site you mentioned may be a little tough to get to. The trail down the side will be challenging and the trail across the pasture will be VERY wet. Last time I was there a berm had built up across the mouth of the outlet and the river was high.. However with theses storms it may have changed that and allowed the river to drop .. If that's the case access will be much better and possible along the bank.
Let me know what you plan, not sure but would like to try and make it as well.

The regulations haven't changed any... still no power on the beach so you need a creek with good flow to sluice with. you can use a bucket with hose to get water to the sluice / high banker .... I have used it with good results in the past at a different beach.
I also offset the outlet so I can lay it down in a creek that has some elevation above me to capture and send the water on down to the sluice.. I have 300 feet of 2 inch lay flat hose also.

View attachment 1516639

Last edited:

wildminer

Dec 2, 2015
Jefferson Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Negative on going down THAT bank. I've done it, but that was a few moons ago. At least it's the first river to drop around here and I'll check it when this liquid sunshine stops. Still got to do winterization and try to make a buck around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread