Wireless headphone experience

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last several years, I've been using a pair of Radio Shack wireless headphones. One set bit the dust earlier this year, and the second one started giving me problems. I managed to fix it twice, but surface mounted technology is hard to work on even when you have schematics and the tools as I do. So my project a month ago was to find an alternative.

I have had experience with Bluetooth as a result of my other hobby, Amateur Radio. With my knowledge, I purchased a transmit only, stereo dongle from Overstock.com. The part number is 14154430. They sell for $20. The headphones I selected—they're actually a headset as they have a built in, unused microphone—was Overstock's part number 14497257 which sells for $26.49. They have others, but they're all the same except for the selling price. Neither unit comes with a charger, but they do come with a mini USB to USB cable. Either a cellphone charger of your computer can charge them easily. I just upgraded my cellphones, so I have working chargers with the mini USB already attached.

Pairing the two units is straight forward. The only issue is remembering to turn on the transmitter first, then the headphones. If you do it backwards, you might have to re-pair them which is a 20 second process. I attached the transmitter to the bottom of my normal detector (GTI-2500) with velcro. I use a Radio Shack 90° adapter which makes wiring simple.

After using the units for about 5 field trips, I have to say I'm impressed. They work flawlessly, although the phones over the head design makes wearing a hat problematic. There has been no negative issues at all. The only weird issue is when I lay down the detector to dig a hole. The capacitance of the ground causes the phones to lose contact with the transmitter. That is really serendipitous as it makes hearing the pinpointer easier. Once you pick up the detector, the phones reconnect in about 5 seconds with a high-pitched beep in your ear.

All in all, it was an inexpensive solution to the dangling cord syndrome, and I am pleased. At least with myself!

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any lag in the signal? Does the transmitter work with the Radio Shack Headphones?

OP
OP
Alan Applegate

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original RS headphones are not Bluetooth, so the answer is no. However, the dongle will work with any Bluetooth listening device, even speakers!

As for delay, there is some as there is in all Bluetooth devices. I haven't tried to measure the delay, but it isn't bothersome.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Serendipitous huh? That's what we teachers call a second semester word. :)

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so if that transmitter is BluTooth then i should be able to pair it with a ComPilot blutooth receiver that transmits to my hearing aids.?? Yes?

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the transmitter that Alan is talking about is bluetooth... INSTEN Bluetooth Transmitter at overstock part # 14154430

bluemask

Apr 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT , CScope 990 XD, Tesoro DeLeon, Fisher CZ3D, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wecoyote

Oct 30, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett AT Pro, Whites 4900/D, Fisher TW-6, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None that I can discern. Tested using it without headphones, with wired headphones, and with the Rapoo wireless, they all seem the same on the same target.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question on the Rapoos.. Is there anything (electronics) in the right side other than the speaker?
Does you ever get static when say you put the MD down an dig a hole or is the sound always crystal clear when within 20' of the MD?
I am considering buying these and putting the headphone electronics in a different enclosure so I can use ear buds with it.

fuzzytexan

Feb 7, 2015
East Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They didn't work well on my F5. Tones sounded scratchy as heck! Even added inline volume and changed aux adapters. I had to return, must be something with the Fishers , everyone else seems to work good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bluemask

Apr 8, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT , CScope 990 XD, Tesoro DeLeon, Fisher CZ3D, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is possible Spectra and XP Goldmaxx2/Adventis2 have same wireless circuitry?
In Italy we discovered a pair of chinese headphones named Takstar that work perfectly with these XP machines, with a helpful frequency potentiometer: the only work is remove 2 electrical resistance.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread