Headphone Problem

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I have a bizarre headphone problem.
My headphones have the small end which need an adapter to plug into my metal detector.
Out hunting in just cut out an hour into my hunt today. I've had these headphones for a while and never gave me a problem. The detector works fine without the headphones plugged in.
Here's what I've done so far.

-changed the battery, still the headphones won't work.
-changed the end adapter and still won't work.
-yet my headphones work fine in other things around the house with or without the adapter.
-Both of my daughters headphones work fine in my detector with either adapter (but no volume control so it's loud).

So basically my headphones are fine except in my metal detector. I'm puzzled.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect this is yet another issue with poor adapters.

Most, certainly not all, meter detectors use a standard 1/4 inch diameter stereo (three wire) headphone jack. Literally dozens of companies sell adapters to convert them to the what is now the defacto standard of 3.5 mm (1/8 inch) diameter stereo jack. Since most everything these days are built to the least expensive option, the jacks, plugs, and adaptors suffer in quality. Almost all of the audio problems I have suffered, stem back to poor connections therein.

In my case, I use one of several wireless options, including, of late, Bluetooth technology. The amount a drive needed to feed these devices, is extremely low. As a result, even the littlest bit of poor connection can cause big problems. Repeatedly unplugging and replugging can sometimes correct the issue for a few hours, but sooner or later the problem resurfaces. Contact cleaners aren't always a repair either. Even if you don't use an adapter, you can still have contact issues.

The only advice I can offer, is the repated R&R of the headphone jack and/or adapters, until the problem stay away. At least, until another rainy day!

OP
OP
Ronzie

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
It's definitely the headphones. I just rechecked and if I just wiggle the cord lightly in goes in and out, only getting volume in one ear or the other.
Thanks for the reply Alan.

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're sure, take them apart and fix them! If you don't want to or can't, mail them to me and I'll fix them for you.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your small jack set up for mono or stereo? Your 1/8" to 1/4" adapter has to match the small one as to is it is stereo or mono. If you plug stereo headphones into a mono adapter them only one side on the headophones will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread