Silver umax all metal depth changes with disc setting

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm crazy I guess. Was in the test garden after work today with my Silver umax and 11x8 RSD coil.

Got a silver quarter buried that the Silver umax will not hit in disc but will hit in all metal sometimes. Was trying to figure out why it was inconsistent.

Basically set the Silver umax in all metal and set disc to lowest, it will never hit the quarter. Set the Silver umax in all metal and set disc to max and it hits it every time.

Tried a new 9v battery, same thing.

I guess if you want another inch or two out of your Silver umax, set it to all metal and turn disc at max.

Anyone else duplicate or seen this?

Disc circuit still in play causing a power drain?
:BangHead:

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I understand, but my Cibola does well in slight amount of disc. and reaches deep enough. Without any disc. it'll go a bit deeper, as with most machines.
Give Tesoro a call and see what they recommend.

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you disc you take out part of the signal that's coming in from the coil. All metal on the silver bypasses the disc circuit but still disc mode. Ones with threshold based all metal like your vaq will go even deeper in its threshold based allmetal.
The silver has the "all metal" like my cutlass. It's still in disc without the thread but bypasses the disc part of the circuit. Will beep on any type of metal and since not filtered goes deeper.
As far as sometimes and sometimes not, ground conditions play alot on that. Dry ground won't be as deep as wet. Moist ground won't be as deep as wet. Also environment factors. I.e. how much juice is flowing through powerlines. One day could be alot and another could be a little EMI from any lines.
Many many factors.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, but let me try again, what I'm seeing was poorly written.

If I switch the Silver to all metal, its measurably deeper if the disc knob is maxxed. Does it on an air test also.

I assume the disc knob should have no affect while the switch is in all metal.

I haven't talked to Rusty in a couple of years, I may just check in with him. Ask him where the Gold umax replacement is....

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm. That is weird.
But either way at least you know how to make it go deeper.
You're right. Shouldn't have any effect. But especially not the opposite effect as in disc. You'd think by turning it up, it would be more shallow.
Unless all metal is somehow wired to just be reverse in some way or somehow the knob still effects it.
That is odd
Yeah ask rusty and let us know what he says about the new golden lol

DannyB.

Jan 20, 2015
Washington/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver UMax
Fisher 1265x
Fisher F75 SE LTD
Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If I switch the Silver to all metal, its measurably deeper if the disc knob is maxxed. Does it on an air test also.

I haven't talked to Rusty in a couple of years, I may just check in with him. Ask him where the Gold umax replacement is....

good to know.. ill have to look at mine and see if its the same...

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good to know.. ill have to look at mine and see if its the same...

Danny, what did you find?

Rusty hadn't heard of it.

My Cibola doesn't do it. If you push in the pinpoint button, turning the disc knob has no effect on threshold or depth.

If you have a Silver umax, run disc at max to add significantly more depth in all metal. I like it!

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 11x8 needs to be TUNED to your Silver uMax to give you maximum depth. Any machine that you can't manually ground balance needs to have any coil you put on it tuned at the factory to your machine for best performance. :skullflag:

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

Just tried your test with my Silver µMax and 7"concentric coil... get the same results...wow!
Nice to know...my gain was about 2".

HH.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"all metal" is always deeper on all detectors.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"all metal" is always deeper on all detectors.

Agreed

But a quirk gets you two more inches on a Silver Umax by turning disc knob to max WHILE in the all metal mode. Two more inches is a lot on a $250 detector. HH

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,

Just tried your test with my Silver µMax and 7"concentric coil... get the same results...wow!
Nice to know...my gain was about 2".

HH.

Schematics Ive seen on older Tesoro detectors show the disc knob remains in the circuit unaffected by the all metal switch. Looks like its setting would have a small effect on the signal levels. I've sent a Silver Sabre in for a tuneup, I'm betting it's result will be the same.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Schematics Ive seen on older Tesoro detectors show the disc knob remains in the circuit unaffected by the all metal switch. Looks like its setting would have a small effect on the signal levels. I've sent a Silver Sabre in for a tuneup, I'm betting it's result will be the same.

Picked up an Eldorado plastic (umax chassis), disc control has absolutely no effect on threshold hum and depth. Guess it's whatever day of the week the unit was designed determines if the controls affect each other....

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picked up an Eldorado plastic (umax chassis), disc control has absolutely no effect on threshold hum and depth. Guess it's whatever day of the week the unit was designed determines if the controls affect each other....

Had a chance to hunt with the Eldorado yet? Mine runs pretty deep in all-metal and the VCO quickly detunes for pinpointing.

OP
OP
S

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a chance to hunt with the Eldorado yet? Mine runs pretty deep in all-metal and the VCO quickly detunes for pinpointing.

Just in the yard. It came with a new looking 9x8, I really like the machine. Deep like you said and very easy to pinpoint with using that new white skeleton coil. Overall maybe easier to run than the Outlaw. I know it's heavier, but the 12x10 concentric runs circles around the 12x10 DD on it. I keep telling Allan I want a 12x10 concentric four pin to try.

Sounds so much better than my screaming low tone Vaquero lol. I got to send Vaquero in for tone upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread