First Confederate button

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
I went hunting at a construction site in Downtown Nashville. This site had already been hit by about a dozen other detectorists. They had found some VERY nice relics there like a Texas Waco Guard belt plate, a W.M.I. Cadet button, a complete gutter-back spur, a butt-plate from a longrifle, several old silver coins, CW buttons & bullets, etc... I didn't think there would be much of anything left, but had to try hunting it. I got there about 2 hrs before dark. Within about 5 minutes, I had found a wheatie, so I thought there might be something good still in there. This lot is FULL of trash, so I was digging bottle cap after bottle cap. I hunted until it was dark, and on my last pass before I called it a day I got another "bottle cap" signal. I was pleasantly surprised to see a 2-piece button come out. I called it quits after that and went to the car. When I looked at it in the light I could see an anchor on it, which made me really happy because I had never found a Navy button before. On my way home I stopped by my diggin buddy's house to brag about it and clean it off a bit more. I lightly brushed it with a soft, dry toothbrush and details started to appear. I saw that it had a lined field, a rope border, and then I saw something at the bottom.... C S N!!!!! I couldn't believe my luck. Not only was this my first Navy button, but also my first Confederate button. I brushed off the back to read the back mark ant it says HEBBERT & CO LONDON. I looked in the Albert's Button Book, but couldn't find that button with that back mark. I thought that I might have found a re-enactor's button. When I got home I did a bit more research and found that it is listed in Tice's Button Book as CSN220Am1. I was sure the button was CW period after I saw that. I found the same button (in better shape) for sale and they are asking $1250 for it!!!!!!!!! http://packhorsefordrelics.com/B136.htm I found the button on Nov 18th, but didn't get a chance to post it until now because of the problems with the forum. I found it using my trusty old White's Eagle Spectrum.

Attachments

• CSN-Button.jpg
    CSN-Button.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 607
Upvote 0

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Tim
Congrats on your first Confederate Button. You found a good one.
Doug

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one sweet button. Congrats on the great find.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome. Congrats on your first Confederate button.

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button. Looks like Navy. Congradulations.....

TXDIRTFISHER

Dec 11, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Detector(s) used
F75LTD / Tejon
Wow awesome find!! Just goes to show no matter how many people go before you that they never get it all. Huge congrats.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET looking button!!!! congrats!!! MR TUFF

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, you got one of the best Confederate Buttons that could be dug on your first one!!!! :o :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Congrats man, its a nice one and one that not many people get to see coming out of the dirt. CHEERS :occasion14:

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the only problem with finding a CSN is that everything else will be downhill. You started at the very top of the list. Congradulations and how much would you charge to give my detector a "blessing".

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
what a beaut..theres something about an old military button...well done bro....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread