Ax Head Restoration - VIDEO

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 1
Great video. You Got to be happy with those results. Did you end up having the handles custom made or were you able to find some good handles somewhere? I have had my favorite double bit soaking for about 4 days. Thought I'd change the vinegar and hit it with the wire brush today and let it soak for 4 more days. Do you think 80 grit sandpaper would do much?

awesome job! :thumbsup:

highnam said:
Great video. You Got to be happy with those results. Did you end up having the handles custom made or were you able to find some good handles somewhere? I have had my favorite double bit soaking for about 4 days. Thought I'd change the vinegar and hit it with the wire brush today and let it soak for 4 more days. Do you think 80 grit sandpaper would do much?

Hey Highnam. Thanks. I actually found the handles at a local farm co-op. The fella who I had in mind to custom make them was busy. Don't know about the sandpaper. My experience is that the rust that remains is usually in the deeper pits. Vigorous brushing and the Dremel will take care of it. It will just take longer w/out a Dremel. Be sure and show us your results!

Thanks all for taking a look and commenting.

You need to patent that process Richard. Good "How To" video. You should submit an article on that process to W & E Treasures. I have all the W & E contact info. if you need it. HH, Quindy.

VOL1266-X said:
You need to patent that process Richard. Good "How To" video. You should submit an article on that process to W & E Treasures. I have all the W & E contact info. if you need it. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy - sure, send it to me if you like. I already thought about it.

RGW

That is one of the Finest videos on cleaning and preservation I have ever seen. I hope you will take the time to write an article for Western and Eastern Treasures about this cleaning method. I have tried all sorts of things to clean iron, but I am won over by the results here. The best part is that you have not removed good metal (like electrolysis can do, if overdone or employed with too much amperage).

Cheers,

Buckleboy

BuckleBoy said:
That is one of the Finest videos on cleaning and preservation I have ever seen. I hope you will take the time to write an article for Western and Eastern Treasures about this cleaning method. I have tried all sorts of things to clean iron, but I am won over by the results here. The best part is that you have not removed good metal (like electrolysis can do, if overdone or employed with too much amperage).

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Thanks BB - I appreciate that. I've actually submitted a piece for consideration.

Old Stonewall said:
BuckleBoy said:

Cheers,

Buckleboy

Thanks BB - I appreciate that. I've actually submitted a piece for consideration.

:thumbsup:

Just a great vid. The guy who made the handles did a nice job. The only thing I missed was seeing the new edge you put on it.

nice vid and good information ......thankx

Nice video, gonna go to your youtube channel now and watch you other videos. Great information, thanks.:thumbsup:

fantastic info .. I have found several axe heads in my hunts and will try this method... will place an update and photo soon! Thanks again.:icon_thumleft:

Can you tell me where you got that flyer that shows the ax heads?

Hello, My friend (my next door neighbor) and I have been searching an old park (two ladies) and she has found two ax heads. She soaking it in apple cider vinegar now. I don't think there is a name on either one. Can you tell me how she can get one of the papers that shows the different types of ax heads? You showed it in your video the white sheet of paper that pictured all the different ax heads. This would be great for her. My friend loves the historical aspect of detecting I know she would love the information.

Thanks so much,

Annak

This is a follow up post to this one: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index....c,452329.msg3200899.html#msg3200899

In the video, I show the before and after results (using primarily apple cider vinegar) in restoring a couple of ax heads I dug recently here in the Shenandoah Valley. Thanks for looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back