Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
merc-dime.jpg

I finally got myself a working Bounty Hunter Tracker IV again and decided the 40F degree weather was warm enough over the weekend to try detecting.

My best find was my first ever silver coin, a 1926 (no mint mark) Mercury dime! The dime is in really great shape, not worn smooth anywhere, and has a well defined rim around the edge.

I also found a silver ring stamped 925 that is about 1/2" in diameter (for a child?) with a tiny orange and red stone that looks like some type of quartz. In the image you can see some of the lines in the stone that are of the different colors/crystals. The ring also has a simple twist braid around the stone. Below you can see the ring sitting on the mercury dime.

ring-merc.jpg

In all I found a pair of needle-nose pliers (used for fishing I imagine, due to the area), a padlock that I will use electrolysis to clean, $0.18 in clad, and some other fishing items (sinkers, spinner spoons, etc), and plenty of trash.

I'm not sure if the new finds are from the winter freeze/thaw, a recent flood of the area from a nearby creek, or simply because my new Tracker IV averages about a 1" deeper than my last Tracker IV on air-test depth. Either way the year is off to a great start!

I can't wait for warm weather so I can get out detecting more. :thumbsup:

finds3-22-13.jpg

Upvote 3

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz on the dime it looks to be in nice shape , cool ring also , I feel ya on the fishing tackle , tho I don't fish mush anymore ill never buy any type of sinker again & also have some nice lures. ? maybe if the ammo situation dont get any better ill cast all that lead in to bullets.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one Beautiful Mercury Dime. Woww. You must have a good spot. I'd work that for awhile. Silver rings are nice to find. That one looks good enough to clean up and sell. Certainly more valuable as jewelry than scrap....HH

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Congrats on your first silver. It's a beauty. That's a nice ring, too. Hope you find many more of each.

Bob

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for writing, the dime made my week. I can't wait to see what else I can find there during the season - starting this weekend. :thumbsup:

Congratz on the dime it looks to be in nice shape , cool ring also , I feel ya on the fishing tackle , tho I don't fish mush anymore ill never buy any type of sinker again & also have some nice lures. ? maybe if the ammo situation dont get any better ill cast all that lead in to bullets.

Thanks, it is amazing how the sinkers make a detector respond, even at some impressive depths. It seems the Tracker IV gives a almost double beep over sinkers, a loud very fast repeating sound. I kept digging though just to be sure I didn't miss any other great finds. :laughing7:

That is one Beautiful Mercury Dime. Woww. You must have a good spot. I'd work that for awhile. Silver rings are nice to find. That one looks good enough to clean up and sell. Certainly more valuable as jewelry than scrap....HH

Thanks, indeed I plan to keep detecting that park area as it is rather large. I've been there now a total of 4 times but doubt I covered half of it very well, and of course an area never gets truly hunted out.

I cleaned the ring up some and it looks like it is a USA ring size 1, intended for children. Any tips on selling found rings? I imagine a trip to a pawnshop or eBay would be the best way to go.

aslplynch

Mar 15, 2013
Great NW
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Merc! and ring i'm out I the 20 degree weather sometimes, not that terrible. (im not gonna lie though I welcome spring )

TMac

Feb 9, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Minelab X-terra 705 dual pack
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I had just gotten my first silver ever over the weekend to, a 41 s Merc! What a great feeling!
HH TMac

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread