Hey Crusader, I can get Hammered, too! Great Weekend in the Field of Dreams

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Note: Edited with corrected info, thanks Silver Searcher!

Spent the weekend detecting in the Field of Dreams with fellow TNet-ers Greylock, Casper, Worldtalker, and BrokenKnee.

Saturday's hunt was phenomenal with 4 silvers and a sweet Indian Celt. Checked another American Silver off my list with the 1853 Seated Half dime (too bad I nicked it), got a 1890 Seated Dime, a 1853 3-Cent Silver, and a Colonial Silver ring (no markings). Best find of the day for me was the Indian Celt. Its in really nice shape for being found in a plow zone. Found the baby turtle in the middle of the field, looked like the plow disturbed the nest. Unfortunately, it was too late to save him.

Today I managed a few more goodies. My very first signal of the day was a sweet 1753 (I think) King George Copper. After about another 3 feet I got a faint blip that sounded and read like can slaw. I've dug a lot a great targets at this location that sound like trash, so I decided to dig it. I flipped the dirt pile over, scanned it with my AT-Pro and got a solid 52 in the pile. My first handful held the signal. I saw the shimmer of silver as I looked though the dirt. A second look and I saw a cross staring at me. I though I had found my first Spanish Cob, but it was too thin for that. Upon a closer inspection, I could tell that the coin wasn't Spanish, I was looking at a Charles 1st Hammered Silver Penny! Got a few nice buttons, a couple Crotal Bells and some other cool stuff that I'll post later on.

I can't believe I just found an early 1600's English Hammered Silver coin in Western Massachusetts! This coin was found in the same field that I found my Oak Tree Shilling and 4 or 5 William III Coppers. The area was settled in the 1650's.

Can anyone give me anymore specific information on this coin? I will try to get some better pics once I get the dirt off.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 220
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 218
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Upvote 16

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need a closer picture of the back, but it's not a half groat, it's a penny, and I'm sure it's a Charles1st...cool find :icon_thumleft:

SS

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much tougher to dig than a cob, so be happy to cross that off.... because the cob is still going to turn up.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one generous field!

You are finding everything there, no doubt the cob will turn up for you there!

If I hadn't revised my post cutting a bit off, we would have likely said that within a few seconds. :)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Need a closer picture of the back, but it's not a half groat, it's a penny, and I'm sure it's a Charles1st...cool find :icon_thumleft:

SS

Thanks for the clarification. I will try to get some better detail and post the pics later on.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap Charles I Penny. Very nice find - 1600s (early)

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Charles? I could have sworn I saw Elizabeth, but Charles is good enough for me!

IP, I will give the copper a proper peroxide bath tonight, but it looks like the detail will show up nicely. I think it said 1753.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible Finds ! Could you put up more pics of the ring ? that would be a rare find if "period "

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The O I see doesn't seem to be the same type of number punch, so I might just be seeing things on that... but it still seems to be missing the 2nd last letter. (V or U)
The I looks short, or is that my eyes...and are the letters bigger ?

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charles? I could have sworn I saw Elizabeth, but Charles is good enough for me!

IP, I will give the copper a proper peroxide bath tonight, but it looks like the detail will show up nicely. I think it said 1753.

Then it seems like it's missing the V. Interested to see how it turns out. It seems like a genuine looking coin so would be odd to be missing a letter like that. Would be a pretty bad mistake and the type of one you would think you'd see more on a crude counterfeit. That's sort of why I was thinking double struck.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Super find, and congrats on joining the US hammered club. If you can take some good close-ups of both sides you might be able to pick out the mint mark that should enable you to get a much better estimate on the date than the 1625-49 for Charles I coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread