🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After my killer hunt last week, I was itching to get back out there. I had to cancel a weekend family camping trip due to torrential rain, so my weekend was free. Everything was looking good except the monsoon parked over the east coast on Saturday. Wishing I had a waterproof detector, I made due with what I had on hand... a few grocery bags and a ziplock bag and my T2 was ready for the water. This wasn't a mist, or a drizzle, this was dumping buckets all day causing flooding. I got out and worked some new parts of the field looking for another hot spot. Got a heel tap and a pouch full of iron. The day wasn't looking good, but I've never had a bad hunt at this place, so I was determined to stay there as long as it took to dig something cool. I went back to the hot spot area and worked some new ground off to the side... got into a little area and out came a shoe buckle chape with tongue, awesome iron lock, and what I am 99% sure is a toasted half cent... based on its weight, diameter and where I am pretty sure I see "RTY" on a head band area. I was 100% soaked even with a waterproof raincoat and actually had to dig bad signals just to stay warm. ha I didn't break my T2 and now I know with a few bags, I can take that thing just about anywhere.

This morning I got back out there and decided to work an adjacent field where the topography made me think it would be a good Civil War camp area. I don't think I was correct about the camp part, but the section I was interested in had an iron patch, brick and oyster shells. The first target was a pocket watch movement. It appears to be a more modern one. After that I got some interesting pewter spoon handles. One fragment is marked "Brita"... maybe it said "Britain"? Then harmonica reeds, some small buttons and matching suspender clasps. Then I got a piece of a bell I think. It appears to be made of a white metal... it looks like tombac buttons I find, but it also has some green patina on it. Decided to get back over to my main site and finish off the day there. Got some more cool iron that is in electrolysis now... the sickle and hoe will display nice. I just checked on the sickle and its already looking awesome... maybe its a higher carbon iron to make it harder?? There doesnt appear to be much pitting once the rust falls off.

*Update* - electrolysis results in post #20.

Anyway, here are the weekend finds.
IMG_20150628_164450717.jpg IMG_20150628_164512211.jpg
IMG_20150628_164530810.jpg IMG_20150628_164536527.jpg
IMG_20150628_164544434.jpg IMG_20150628_164548971.jpg

This is my favorite find of the weekend. I found a shoe buckle frame last week. I really want to find a complete buckle at some point, but in the meantime, the bits and pieces are still cool to dig.
IMG_20150628_164753333_HDR.jpg

Close shots of the bell. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever dug a bell that is made from a white metal?
IMG_20150628_164619432_HDR.jpg IMG_20150628_164624012_HDR.jpg

I see "BRITA" and then I cant read the rest. Anyone ever seen a mark like this?
IMG_20150628_164720163_HDR.jpg

FINALLY, the "puzzle piece".
I dug this piece of brass this afternoon and right away I realize I dug another one a couple months ago. Wondering what they were and knowing I found them in the same area, I thought maybe they would fit together somehow... I keep detecting and thinking about what they were and it hits me.... they are pieces to the plow destroyed shoulder scales I dug about 20 yards away! Here is that post. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...houlder-scales-couple-stirrups-much-more.html
IMG_20150628_164735641_HDR.jpg

So I was excited to get home, and take the other two pieces out of my cabinet and finally put them all together. There is much more to these scales still in the ground. So maybe I can get more pieces to this puzzle as time goes on. The main part was in the plowed soil. The scale pieces were 20 yards away in the unplowed area. Notice the corrosion difference from the planted part!
IMG_20150628_165626513.jpg

I'm done for a while until the vegetation situation improves and allows my coil to get closer.

Last edited:
Upvote 12

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great read, great story, and great finds! Hope you find the remainder of the puzzle!

Best, Erik

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, dug plenty of bell bits like that. Similar look to tombac.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THIS IS JUST JUST I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL TO SAY, HERE I HAVE A NEW DETECTOR HANGING ON THE WALL I GO DETECTING AND ALL I FOUND WERE WORMS WITH LIFE PRESERVERS ON AND I JUST COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WORTH POSTING AND THEN THIS GUY HERE COMES ALONG AND REALLY RUBS MORE SALT INTO THE WOUNDS AND IN MY FACE, FOR I WAS SOAKED FROM ARSE-OH TO ELBOWS, COME ON WHATS THE SECRET LETS LET THE CAT OUT THE BAG THERE MR. OA .I HAVE YET TO FIND PERMISSION TO DO SOME DIGGING FOR MY NEIGHBORS ASKED IF I WHERE CONSTRUCTING A CEMETERY ON MY PROPERTY FROM ALL THE PERK HOLES. THIS DISPLAY OF FINDS WOULD MAKE MY DAY NOTHING BEATS THE COLONIAL / CIVIL WAR RELICS THAT WE ALL FIND. SWEEETT!!!. VANZUTPHEN

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great read, great story, and great finds! Hope you find the remainder of the puzzle!

Best, Erik

Thanks Erik! I knew just what the first piece was when I dug it, since it was the bulk of the shoulder scales. After digging the first scale I thought it was part a piece that would screw onto a wooden drawer to hold a label. ha When I got the second scale and remembered digging the first one... it just hit me and I realized they went to the big piece I first dug.

Yes, dug plenty of bell bits like that. Similar look to tombac.

Thanks Cru... i just googled tombac I get a "brass alloy with a 5-20% zinc content". This looks like tombac, but also had a mild green patina. I wonder if its a lower zinc content and higher brass alloy content, since its a bell that gets hit.

Any thoughts on that pewter handle piece that says "BRITA..."?

THIS IS JUST JUST I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL TO SAY, HERE I HAVE A NEW DETECTOR HANGING ON THE WALL I GO DETECTING AND ALL I FOUND WERE WORMS WITH LIFE PRESERVERS ON AND I JUST COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WORTH POSTING AND THEN THIS GUY HERE COMES ALONG AND REALLY RUBS MORE SALT INTO THE WOUNDS AND IN MY FACE, FOR I WAS SOAKED FROM ARSE-OH TO ELBOWS, COME ON WHATS THE SECRET LETS LET THE CAT OUT THE BAG THERE MR. OA .I HAVE YET TO FIND PERMISSION TO DO SOME DIGGING FOR MY NEIGHBORS ASKED IF I WHERE CONSTRUCTING A CEMETERY ON MY PROPERTY FROM ALL THE PERK HOLES. THIS DISPLAY OF FINDS WOULD MAKE MY DAY NOTHING BEATS THE COLONIAL / CIVIL WAR RELICS THAT WE ALL FIND. SWEEETT!!!. VANZUTPHEN

Thank you Vanzutphen! The big secret is research. I started detecting in 1993, however not continuously and took a huge chunk of that off. I have about 7 solid years of being serious about detecting and only in the last 3 years have I started to do real research and only in the last year has it paid off. haha I have been there many times, where I wander around and come home with nothing!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a lot of digging Brad, and looks like you did make at least a few nice recoveries. My favorites are the hoe, lock and shoulder scales. It looks like that pipe stem may have a large bore which could date back to the 1600s. If you measure the bore diameter with a drill bit you can estimate fairly closely the date of manufacture, which will coincide closely to when it was lost since clay pipes were usually broken and discarded with a year or two from when they were purchased.

I-DIG-IT

Silver Member
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. I sure do like the scale pieces, real nice finds.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a lot of digging Brad, and looks like you did make at least a few nice recoveries. My favorites are the hoe, lock and shoulder scales. It looks like that pipe stem may have a large bore which could date back to the 1600s. If you measure the bore diameter with a drill bit you can estimate fairly closely the date of manufacture, which will coincide closely to when it was lost since clay pipes were usually broken and discarded with a year or two from when they were purchased.

Thanks Bill! The lock key cover broke when I pulled it from the dirt. It has some writing on it, but I cant make it out.
IMG_20150629_100205.jpg

To me it looks like it might just say "PATENT".. or AT & NT!

This is the 5th or 6th hoe I have dug here. One came out of electrolysis and I saw it was stamped. Posted that here, but I don't have a definitive answer yet. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/461090-iron-hoe-blade-stamp.html

The one I dug this weekend is in great condition, so maybe it will also be stamped.

I'll post the lock and hoe here when they are done electrolysis. They are both in there now with the sickle.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for pointing that out Bill... I forgot to mention it. The pipe stem was really cool to find. I hope to some day find a pipe bowl... for some reason I think they are really awesome.
IMG_20150629_101529.jpg

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for point that out Bill... I forgot to mention it. The pipe stem was really cool to find. I hope to some day find a pipe bowl... for some reason I think they are really awesome.
View attachment 1180816

Brad - that bore diameter corresponds to manufacture (and discard) in the 1680-1710 time frame, so like I said, it likely indicates fairly early occupation of one section of your site. So make sure you expand your search radius and check out all nooks and crannies of that property as you might get lucky and stumble across a much earlier site than indicated based on your finds posted above. Also, that marking is definitely "PATENT", and it's commonly seen on the keyhole covers of early-to mid 1800s locks.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs. I sure do like the scale pieces, real nice finds.

Thank you! I like them a lot more now too. If I didn't have the context of the original large piece, there is no way I would have known what those two scale pieces were. I really thought they were some brass screw on decoration, or drawer label holder.

Brad - that bore diameter corresponds to manufacture (and discard) in the 1680-1710 time frame, so like I said, it likely indicates fairly early occupation of one section of your site. So make sure you expand your search radius and check out all nooks and crannies of that property as you might get lucky and stumble across a much earlier site than indicated based on your finds posted above. Also, that marking is definitely "PATENT", and it's commonly seen on the keyhole covers of early-to mid 1800s locks.

Wow... I was not expecting that at all. That's a very nice surprise and dates to the time of the blowhole, pistareen and KG I's I dug. I was amazed when I found something in the early 1700's... if I get into the 1600's at this site it would really be unbelievable for me.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brita[nnia] Ware pewter spoon handle.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Brad - I failed to mention earlier that although your broad hoe is a very cool find, I do not believe it's colonial. For pre-1800 broad hoes, the eye is pretty much always separated from the blade by a neck, or butts up directly against the blade. And they almost always have a "V" or wedge-shaped spine of reinforcement running down from the eye and extending about halfway or more down the blade. Yours has the eye partially integrated into the blade. Because of that, and due to the lack of the "V"-shaped reinforcement, I'm confident that your hoe dates to the 19th century. But it'll still make a very nice display piece once you completely clean and preserve it using electrolysis.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad - I failed to mention earlier that although your broad hoe is a very cool find, I do not believe it's colonial. For pre-1800 broad hoes, the eye is pretty much always separated from the blade by a neck, or butts up directly against the blade. And they almost always have a "V" or wedge-shaped spine of reinforcement running down from the eye and extending about halfway or more down the blade. Yours has the eye partially integrated into the blade. Because of that, and due to the lack of the "V"-shaped reinforcement, I'm confident that your hoe dates to the 19th century. But it'll still make a very nice display piece once you completely clean and preserve it using electrolysis.

Excellent information Bill. I keep learning.. thank you!

I googled how to tell the age of these hoe's (:laughing7:) a couple months ago and didn't figure out too much.

These are the ones I've processed so far from this site. I think there is another 1 or 2 in my iron buckets from this site that I havent gone through yet. The top one with the electrolysis clamp is the one I just found. The one in the middle row, far right, might be older? The V looks irregular. I am amazed at how far down they worked these hoe blades before they were lost\discarded. The middle row, left blade, is a nub!
IMG_20150629_124302490.jpg

I forget the name of this tool, but I've used one myself. It looks hand forged and it appears it was worn down and a blacksmith attached a new blade to the end. Sadly, I have dug a couple shovel blades that were too far gone to keep. I've seen similar ones on here... very broad blades and look old.
IMG_20150629_124346666.jpg

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent information Bill. I keep learning.. thank you!

I googled how to tell the age of these hoe's (:laughing7:) a couple months ago and didn't figure out too much.

These are the ones I've processed so far from this site. I think there is another 1 or 2 in my iron buckets from this site that I havent gone through yet. The top one with the electrolysis clamp is the one I just found. The one in the middle row, far right, might be older? The V looks irregular. I am amazed at how far down they worked these hoe blades before they were lost\discarded. The middle row, left blade, is a nub!
View attachment 1180891

I forget the name of this tool, but I've used one myself. It looks hand forged and it appears it was worn down and a blacksmith attached a new blade to the end. Sadly, I have dug a couple shovel blades that were too far gone to keep. I've seen similar ones on here... very broad blades and look old.
View attachment 1180892

Wow Brad - I had no idea you had recovered all those hoes at that site! I've never recovered more than 3 from one site, and all those were found in the bottom of a mid-1600s pit. And most of yours appear to be colonial. That item in the last pic might be an adze, but not 100% sure about that. Anyway, there had to be some kind of major site there to produce that many tools. With those, and that early pipe stem, I think my excitement for your site just got bumped up several notches. I know a special find or 2 has to be hiding there somewhere, and hopefully you can find it.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a good day's digging. I checked out your other post and that place has been a super place. I'm currently hunting a virgin Confederate Cavalry camp I found recently and been there twice and have about fifty+pounds of iron and just iron all over the place and weeds up to my chest and even over my head. I saw those two stirrups you found on your other post and I found two at this place already. I have some really nice relics from there already and going there again hopefully this weekend and soon will get a group shot of what all I've found so far. That iron takes a long time to get cleaned up, but I love digging it cause that makes super display pieces.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SO OUTDOOR ADVENTURE I NOW KNOW THE SECRET I WAS WAITING TO HEAR. ITS CALLED SEARCH, FIND ,RECOVER. GOT THE RECOVER PART BUT NEED TO POLISH UP ON RESEARCH AND THE FIND THING. YOU SEEM TO HAVE SO MANY DIFFRENT TIMELINES WITH THE RELICS YOU FOUND. CANT GET OVER THE TOE TAP FOR THE HOLES LOOK AS IF THEY WERE JUST DRILLED. PLEASE DONT TAKE ME SERIOUS ABOUT THE LITTLE RANT. THATS ONE THING I HAVE IS HUMOR AND NOT SARCASIM....

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Brad - I had no idea you had recovered all those hoes at that site! I've never recovered more than 3 from one site, and all those were found in the bottom of a mid-1600s pit. And most of yours appear to be colonial. That item in the last pic might be an adze, but not 100% sure about that. Anyway, there had to be some kind of major site there to produce that many tools. With those, and that early pipe stem, I think my excitement for your site just got bumped up several notches. I know a special find or 2 has to be hiding there somewhere, and hopefully you can find it.

Well apparently I did 50% research and had 50% just plain dumb luck. :laughing7: I wonder what else I have tossed aside and figured it wasn't significant. I seriously thought digging up this many hoes was totally normal!

I have 5 or 6 ax heads too... does that mean something?? Here are the three I have processed. I have a few more in my iron box that I will process this winter.
IMG_20150629_161517865.jpg

I think I tossed aside another hoe blade... I better get it. I hoes and axes have been getting annoying to recover. I even know a spot I can go if I want to dig some more big iron. I pack out 20-50lbs of iron every trip.

Here are a few of the smaller items I like that I have processed so far. I really like that hand forged spike that is next to the two hooks. I have various other spikes there too. I have a half dozen or so iron spoon bowls too.. I really do have piles of iron in my office waiting for me to finish painting that new display cabinet. ha
IMG_20150629_163012048.jpg

My winter project is to sort through this and figure out what I want to process.
IMG_20150629_161001192.jpg

When you say "special find" I hope you mean a cob. You know I'll have no idea what it is whenever it is I dig up a special find. haha

Now that's a good day's digging. I checked out your other post and that place has been a super place. I'm currently hunting a virgin Confederate Cavalry camp I found recently and been there twice and have about fifty+pounds of iron and just iron all over the place and weeds up to my chest and even over my head. I saw those two stirrups you found on your other post and I found two at this place already. I have some really nice relics from there already and going there again hopefully this weekend and soon will get a group shot of what all I've found so far. That iron takes a long time to get cleaned up, but I love digging it cause that makes super display pieces.

Thanks man. It sounds like a great site. Definitely post the iron! I wish I posted more of mine and I will start to... I didn't think people liked the iron as much as I do! Ever since I discovered electrolysis a few years ago, iron has become one of my favorite things to recover. I will even zap half horseshoes to use them to prop up items in my displays! Because I like to process so much iron, my setup has evolved and become very efficient. I use carbon anodes and fashioned some c-clamp adapters, so I can quickly hook up to an item to be cleaned. I do a boiling wax bath after to dry and seal the piece... its dangerous and a bit of a pain to setup... but I process a lot of stuff. that way.

Here is the sickle and lock after about 12 hours. I put the hoe blade in this morning and it is nearly done.

IMG_20150629_160805951.jpg
IMG_20150629_160826695.jpg

Check out the serrations! I almost cut myself giving it a baking soda cleaning after electrolysis. ha
IMG_20150629_160850693.jpg

At some point when I get bored, Ill finish up a couple oak handles for an ax and hoe or two. I have even found a couple iron wedges for the ax handles!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes I'll for sure post what I have found there at my new site and will find when I get a chance. I love iron like that too. There's iron relics I like finding just as much as brass. Or course plates will always be at the top of my Civil War relic list, but I love it all! Sounds like you have the electrolysis down really good. The lock and sickle turned out great! I have two of those complete iron locks from my new site too. I think those are really cool to dig and most of the time I just seem to find the front or back parts. I need to get onto doing some more electrolysis, the iron here is piling up like in your photo. ;) Look forward to seeing what else you pull from that site.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Electrolysis and hot wax results from last weekend. I also have a few more buckles and huge spikes that are in electrolysis now. These were a few of my favorite iron finds from last week\weekend. Anything that I can see a blacksmiths hammer marks on I love. So that hook is really cool to me, because you can see how the spike end of it was hammered into a point... maybe it was nailed into a wall to hang a saddle on. I also really like horse bit's... even when I only get bits of bits! ... I'll still clean them up. Locks are always awesome to find. I have a handful of them, but this is the first one from this site.

IMG_20150701_093724891.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread