Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was indeed a memorable underwater metal detecting weekend. Went back to the area by the lake (Lake Champlain in northern New York) where I recovered the eagle cockade pin and Light Artillery button on July 4 weekend...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...button-1885-fishie-etc.html?highlight=cockade

and spent a total of 4 hours underwater over two days this weekend. I would have posted sooner, but we have no WiFi there; also, would have spent longer underwater, but, even with a wet suit, 2 hours is my limit snorkeling before I start shaking.

I recovered several round balls (the largest 0.60 to 0.62 caliber), a dateless George II, a dateless "whatever" British coin, an 1820 British coin, a weird copper thing with "J.T Buell, Whitehall, NY. 2/0" written on it, and..., yes, a beautiful U.S. button with full shank and the gilt still present!

Now, the title states, "I Cried". I fully admit, I did. I had been a couple of hours in the water and ready to get out. My very last target on Friday sounded like other flat button signals (AT Pro, Grey Ghost Amphibians, 49-55 VDI with the occasional non-descript iron grunt), and I was in about 2 feet of water. After removing the rocks and fanning away some of the gray-black clay, I saw the shank. Oh, OK, a flat button. I flipped it over and saw the "US"; I screamed underwater; well, not "screamed", but yelled, such that my mask partially filled with water. I stood up, shaking a little from the cold and excitement, and, I swear, a tear formed. I was cold and excited. I believe it's an Albert's GI-30A. Everything that has come out of this place has been gorgeous; everything in the pictures have NOT been cleaned whatsoever. Wow.

Lastly, but kind of importantly, I recommend wearing gloves when handling rocks with Zebra Mussels. The last photo shows my fingers after fanning and moving Zebra Mussel-infested rocks. The first couple cuts, I saw blood spiraling out (thank goodness sharks aren't in freshwater here), but I suck it up for the others. Honestly, the little pain and inconvenience is worth it.

I am humbled.

aj

1.jpg 2.jpg US button 1.jpg US button 2.jpg 1820 coin 1.jpg 1820 coin 2.jpg DSC01646.JPG DSC01643.JPG

Upvote 13
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the recoveries you found some interesting items.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool US button! and interesting info on the zebra mussels. Nasty things those are... They may keep the water super clear, but MAN are they a royal pain in the keister.
(or this case... fingers).

That's for being adult enough to share your tear story with us. Made me laugh! (because I'm an insensitive jerk that way, I guess. ) :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool US button! and interesting info on the zebra mussels. Nasty things those are... They may keep the water super clear, but MAN are they a royal pain in the keister.
(or this case... fingers).

That's for being adult enough to share your tear story with us. Made me laugh! (because I'm an insensitive jerk that way, I guess. ) :icon_thumright:

I did not know they were that bad! I grew up in the area I found the items, and Zebra mussels were unheard of in the 60s and 70s in Lake Champlain. Man, they are everywhere now...on every rock, weed, and any relic out there. My left fingers got the worst because, I guess, I would dive down and use my left hand to steady myself. The buggers got me every now and then. I put SuperGlue on the cuts to help ease the pain.

Since then, I have seen only a couple of examples of the button having the gilt present. Honestly, I am so excited about this find!

aj

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool!!! I love your story too

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AJAJ WHAT A NICE BUTTON FIND FROM PLAYING IN THE WATER.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking US button, congrats on the recovery.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice story and button

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking button

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I'm going to clean the bell using 00 steel wool and Naval Jelly, followed by 0000 steel wool and the jelly. I shall post pictures...but first, I need to put Super Glue on the finger cuts to reduce the sting!

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread