jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning! its me again! I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming after last nights quick 1.5 hour hunt. 2023 was a slow year of detecting. when I say slow, I mean with finds. my buddy and I would go out almost every weekend and detect. but the end of 2023 has been very generous. the day before Christmas I found the 1738 KG2. the day after Christmas I found my first ever large cent, 1812 type. Well last night after work I decided to hit the same location that I found the 1812 large cent. its was raining but warm. the ground was saturated and the fog was so thick I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me. every step taken you could see water pushing up from the ground. I swing my way across a very large open field, nowhere near the aforementioned 1812 large cent and I get a real scratchy 90 on the deus 2. I dig a plug, flip it over and water starts filling the bottom of the hole. but there in the plug staring back at me is a large green disc. resisting the urge to wipe the dirt off I put it in my finds box, but before I close the lid, I can make out stars shining through the dirt (pun intended) I know the relief is going to be amazing on this coin from that little detail. once I get home and clean it, I can see Cleary 1827. ok now back to the field. I make my way closer to the spot where I found the 1812 large cent and get another scratchy tone in the mid 80s. out comes a large thin dandy button with a shank still on it. I am definitely on the board. I'm not going to write out the situation for every button but I found a total of 6 buttons, 2 of them being large dandy buttons. flash forward and its getting dark, my gloves are so full of mud that the shovel slips with every dig, the Deus 2 handle is twice the original thickness from all the mud caked on it, but I tell myself "one more signal and I'm going home" one more signal comes and its in the high 80s, clear as a bell though. I dig the plug, water fills the hole. I can't find the target with my mud crusted gloves. Garret Carrot to the rescue. out pops a 1804 half cent! well, all metal detectorists and fisherman are liars "one more signal and I'm going home" or "one more fish and I'm calling it a day" how often do we tell ourselves that and then never stick to it. its always "one more" I stay half true to my word and say "I'll just swing while I walk back to the car" I get halfway there and I get a real scratchy 66. knowing this isn't going to be a coin, I dig anyway because one of the 6 buttons rang up on the high 50s. out pops a half circle. a cut cent! now when I got home, this coin is wiped clean. its about the diameter of a large cent, but a little bit too skinny. I'm thinking a KG2 or 3 or other foreign copper. now I know you've all been waiting for the trash that I found lol. 1 beer can. Im still not sure if Im dreaming or not. thank you for reading my post and happy hunting!

Attachments

• _DSC6856.jpg
    _DSC6856.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 66
  • _DSC6857.jpg
    _DSC6857.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 51
  • _DSC6858.jpg
    _DSC6858.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 49
  • _DSC6859.jpg
    _DSC6859.jpg
    494 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC6861.jpg
    _DSC6861.jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 52
  • _DSC6862.jpg
    _DSC6862.jpg
    618.7 KB · Views: 49
  • _DSC6860.jpg
    _DSC6860.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 23

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Morning! its me again! I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming after last nights quick 1.5 hour hunt. 2023 was a slow year of detecting. when I say slow, I mean with finds. my buddy and I would go out almost every weekend and detect. but the end of 2023 has been very generous. the day before Christmas I found the 1738 KG2. the day after Christmas I found my first ever large cent, 1812 type. Well last night after work I decided to hit the same location that I found the 1812 large cent. its was raining but warm. the ground was saturated and the fog was so thick I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of me. every step taken you could see water pushing up from the ground. I swing my way across a very large open field, nowhere near the aforementioned 1812 large cent and I get a real scratchy 90 on the deus 2. I dig a plug, flip it over and water starts filling the bottom of the hole. but there in the plug staring back at me is a large green disc. resisting the urge to wipe the dirt off I put it in my finds box, but before I close the lid, I can make out stars shining through the dirt (pun intended) I know the relief is going to be amazing on this coin from that little detail. once I get home and clean it, I can see Cleary 1827. ok now back to the field. I make my way closer to the spot where I found the 1812 large cent and get another scratchy tone in the mid 80s. out comes a large thin dandy button with a shank still on it. I am definitely on the board. I'm not going to write out the situation for every button but I found a total of 6 buttons, 2 of them being large dandy buttons. flash forward and its getting dark, my gloves are so full of mud that the shovel slips with every dig, the Deus 2 handle is twice the original thickness from all the mud caked on it, but I tell myself "one more signal and I'm going home" one more signal comes and its in the high 80s, clear as a bell though. I dig the plug, water fills the hole. I can't find the target with my mud crusted gloves. Garret Carrot to the rescue. out pops a 1804 half cent! well, all metal detectorists and fisherman are liars "one more signal and I'm going home" or "one more fish and I'm calling it a day" how often do we tell ourselves that and then never stick to it. its always "one more" I stay half true to my word and say "I'll just swing while I walk back to the car" I get halfway there and I get a real scratchy 66. knowing this isn't going to be a coin, I dig anyway because one of the 6 buttons rang up on the high 50s. out pops a half circle. a cut cent! now when I got home, this coin is wiped clean. its about the diameter of a large cent, but a little bit too skinny. I'm thinking a KG2 or 3 or other foreign copper. now I know you've all been waiting for the trash that I found lol. 1 beer can. Im still not sure if Im dreaming or not. thank you for reading my post and happy hunting!
Very nice! Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a really good hunt getting those coppers.

Is there any detail on the other side of the half?

When a person is digging keepers it's really hard to pull oneself away from the place.
I have on a few occasions texted the Mrs-I'm finding lots of stuff-home late!
PS. Can you put the chickens in for me. :laughing7:

OP
OP
jangrok

jangrok

Dec 27, 2012
New Jersey
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Nox 800, Garret ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a really good hunt getting those coppers.

Is there any detail on the other side of the half?

When a person is digging keepers it's really hard to pull oneself away from the place.
I have on a few occasions texted the Mrs-I'm finding lots of stuff-home late!
PS. Can you put the chickens in for me. :laughing7:
the other half of the cut coin is just as smooth, so I only took a picture of one side. I may try and put a small bit of olive oil on it just to see if it brings out the faintest outline. I don't ever do that with my coins, but I doubt I can make the cut half any worse.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the other half of the cut coin is just as smooth, so I only took a picture of one side. I may try and put a small bit of olive oil on it just to see if it brings out the faintest outline. I don't ever do that with my coins, but I doubt I can make the cut half any worse.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, what ever you do to this coin isn't going to +-any future value.

I have many that are waiting for a process, 200 probably

Many years ago I saw results of somebody putting their greenies in a tumbler-quite amazing actually the results.
It brought out the detail on the coin enough to ID them.
The other side of the coin is they looked like they were in a tumbler and cleaned that way.
Loss of value doing that-none.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. I have found only one half cent myself, also an 1804. Such a great coin. Congrats!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions