Colonial settlers were blazing it! 420 pipestems and more from the pits with Isaac!

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
York PA, Edisto Beach SC, Shepherdstown WV
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what a day today in the colonial pits in SC! First a thank you to Bill D. For urging me to use a sifter! It helped immensely! Ended up with exactly 420 pipestems and bowls! Also tons of pottery, hammer, hoe, hand iron, and Isaac got a half of a Georgian wig curler! I also got a very old bottle top, some musketballs, crystal/ glass goblet, dad got 6 buttons a escutcheon plate, some saddle parts etc. we had a blast and we are really tired now, dug for about 5 hours! HH!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 198
Upvote 17

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great day, love all that clay!, the pottery fragments are cool also, good job!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell yeah, you did great! You've got all colonial pottery types represented...creamware, slipware, westerwald....and you cleaned up big time on the stems. Bill got me into pit digging and I love it!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial settlers were blazing it! 420 pipestems and more from the pits with ...

Oh yeah, that wine glass stem is really cool too! Where do you live that you can dig a pit in the summer. I would have had a heat stroke......I sweat my butt of digging one in the winter!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats Awsome! !
Looks like a real fun day!
Bill has been trying to get me to dig for awhile now..
Love the wig curler.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This was my FIRST time trash pit digging. My arms are sore but I had a freaking BLAST!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the invite Luke!!!!!! I'm HOOKED on colonial pit digging now!!!!! I really want to do some more pit digging up in Virginia now. SC is such a cool place to hunt and again thanks Luke for introducing me to a whole new world of this hobby - trash pit digging! Can't believe we got all those pipes, you weren't joking when you said there's a lot of pipes there o.o I'm really happy this was one of the most tiring and fun days of detecting I've ever had! I love the wig curler. Luke let out a gasp when I picked it up from my side of the sifter... I thought it was another pipe stem! I had no idea what is what but he sure did. Sorry Luke :laughing7:

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that sifter did make a huge difference. That's quite a pile of pipe stems, but its too bad there weren't more intact bowls in the pit. Once you clean up all those stems you can do the regression analysis we talked about earlier. With that large of a sample size the result will be quite accurate. And after cleaning them up, check closely for maker's marks or decorations that may be present. But based on the pottery I'd say it's a 1750-1820 site, and I think that's what you told me earlier. And I love those brownish yellow shards on the far right of the 2nd pic. That style is called Staffordshire combed slipware, and it's one of my favorites, and dates to that same period. I also see a couple of nice iron artifacts in that hoe and flat iron. Have you finish digging out that spot yet? Don't forget to keep checking in the vicinity as there are likely to be more pits to be found, and possibly one that has a lot more black glass. Great dig guys, and hope you can continue to pull some goodies out of the ground.

OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
This was my FIRST time trash pit digging. My arms are sore but I had a freaking BLAST!!!!!!! Thank you so much for the invite Luke!!!!!! I'm HOOKED on colonial pit digging now!!!!! I really want to do some more pit digging up in Virginia now. SC is such a cool place to hunt and again thanks Luke for introducing me to a whole new world of this hobby - trash pit digging! Can't believe we got all those pipes, you weren't joking when you said there's a lot of pipes there o.o I'm really happy this was one of the most tiring and fun days of detecting I've ever had! I love the wig curler. Luke let out a gasp when I picked it up from my side of the sifter... I thought it was another pipe stem! I had no idea what is what but he sure did. Sorry Luke :lol:

Thanks man I'm thrilled I could show you my site! That wig curler made me jealous haha :) so happy you got to dig down here!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds! You definitely hit the jackpot, congratulations!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That pit digging looks like a blast. Congrats on all of the success. I've never even heard of a wig curler, I need to ask google how that worked!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a butt load of great finds-I bet it was a blast!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
With all those pipe stems I'm wondering if the women were puffing away as well as the men ?

A woman smoking a pipe in colonial America was apparently a rare occurrence, but not totally unheard of. But even as late as the 1920s, women only comprised about 10% of the total smoking population so that should help to confirm why the colonial numbers were so low. And a very large number of stems being found on a single site is not uncommon. Usually tavern pits have the greatest number of clay pipe stems and bowls due to the nature of their business, but sometimes an individual house site can produce hundreds. Pictured below are 800+ stems and bowls I recovered from a single pit at a known late 1600s to mid-1700s house site. And at another huge pit at a prestigious manor site my friends and I have dug literally thousands of stems and bowls from an expansive pit over the last 10+ years. But this place did a lot of entertaining which would account this high number.

pipestems1.jpg

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
420? Pipes? Blazing it?
Too funny...... I hereby nominate you for caption of the day.....lol. Good digs.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Pacivilwarluke

Pacivilwarluke

Feb 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that sifter did make a huge difference. That's quite a pile of pipe stems, but its too bad there weren't more intact bowls in the pit. Once you clean up all those stems you can do the regression analysis we talked about earlier. With that large of a sample size the result will be quite accurate. And after cleaning them up, check closely for maker's marks or decorations that may be present. But based on the pottery I'd say it's a 1750-1820 site, and I think that's what you told me earlier. And I love those brownish yellow shards on the far right of the 2nd pic. That style is called Staffordshire combed slipware, and it's one of my favorites, and dates to that same period. I also see a couple of nice iron artifacts in that hoe and flat iron. Have you finish digging out that spot yet? Don't forget to keep checking in the vicinity as there are likely to be more pits to be found, and possibly one that has a lot more black glass. Great dig guys, and hope you can continue to pull some goodies out of the ground.

Thank you! Yes, 1750s to 1820s, and there was a tavern somewhere that I'm thinking I may have found finally! I'm know here near done, there are many other pits I haven't even dug out, but I'm heading home to PA so they'll have to wait for my college break in December. Woods will be better then too! I love the combed slipware, although I wish everything wasn't so smashed. I supposed beggar can't be choosers! I'm still stoked to have a cool site down here, and I'm thinking I will be able to get well over 500 next time I'm down. Every bucket seemed to have 10 in it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread