F44 finds IKE!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday, I went door knocking without success. I ended up at the yard that I found 15 wheats and 5 silvers in a couple of weeks ago. This time I hit the back yard and found nothing but clad.

I didn't get to go Sunday morning. I got out for about 2 hours Sunday afternoon though. Because of the short window, I just hit a park with my F44. I only found a few clad coins. However, beside a toddlers soccer field, I got a solid, non-wavering 95. I figured it was just some big piece of metal, as usual, but I had visions of huge silver rings dancing in my head. I dug a wide flap to make sure I didn't hit it just in case it was something good. When I pulled the flap, I could see it was a big clad coin, I was thinking Kennedy. But, when I pulled it from the dirt, it was too big. I thought, I had an Ike, but the bicentennial reverse threw me. The obverse was too brown to verify and it was bent from being hit with a lawn mower. Anyway, I'm pretty stoked, it's not a silver dollar, but it's my first full size dollar coin!

Here it is all rusty looking and bent up.
20160417 1976 Ike dirty.jpg

Here it is after being in the vise, then 7 hours in the tumbler.
20160418 1976 Ike.jpg

Upvote 9
OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Those are exciting. I only know because I pulled my first, this weekend, too!

Well that's cool. I don't log into the forums on Saturday, Sunday or Monday usually except to post finds, so I didn't see your post. I'm going to go look for it now though!

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find and one you don't see come up too often. I won't lie to your face and say it's pretty coin, but I will tell you the truth and say it's an awesome save! Congrats!

OP
OP
Captain Caveman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still reliving the moment! I'm not sure how I'm this excited about a bent, rusted, clad coin, but I am. That solid 95, then actually seeing a reeded rim in the dirt. Man it was exciting!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not something i remember seeing posted before . Congrats

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congrats! I just read the history on the coin. Maybe a once in a lifetime find.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread