What's new

My best find yet!

Dougie Webb

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
805
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently passed the 2,000 coin mark since I seriously started taking up detecting about seven years ago. But I don’t really get to hunt many old sites, so I’ve only dug a few Washington silvers, Eisenhower Silvers, and wheats.

But I found a park near my house that is seldom visited, that I was able to find from old county maps appears to have had an old plantation house near it. My first time out there, I found a Civil War minie ball. I’ve been going back there a lot, finding some cool old things from various trash piles, a bunch of clad, and one silver dime.

Today, I was using my Garrett AT Pro with the sniper coil, and I was almost done for the day because it was really hot and muggy, but I went to a little area that I hadn’t been to before, and it started to hit a 94 to 96.

I thought it was some sort of iron bleeding over, but then I turned on iron audio and didn’t hear any at all, so I thought. “what the heck? I’ll dig it.“ And here it is! Not only my oldest coin, but my first silver dollar!!! Needless to say, I’m still over the moon about it.

Keeps you coming back, right?!
IMG_0505.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0506.webp
    IMG_0506.webp
    534.2 KB · Views: 61
Upvote 33
Way to go!
I have yet to uncover a silver dollar.
 
What a coincidence, my first silver dollar was also a 1921 Morgan, many years ago. My digging buddy had lined up a permission in the wilderness near some confederate gun pits. I was under a huge live oak and got a whopper of signal. It was one of those "flattened soda can under the leaves" kind of signal. I almost walked away from it but then realized we had not seen any modern trash where we were at. I foot swept away a mat of leaves and as I did I saw a flash of silver slide out. Spun around and there was the silver dollar, still inside a cellophane wrapper much like what cigarette packs used to have. My buddy kept giving me a suspicious look like I had planted the find :laughing7:. Since there were no nearby house sites the only thing we could figure out was that it was a hunter's drop.

Congratulations and thanks for reviving a memory for me!
 
Congratulation on the big silver.
(something that has to be done to rid that monkey off my back)
 
What a coincidence, my first silver dollar was also a 1921 Morgan, many years ago. My digging buddy had lined up a permission in the wilderness near some confederate gun pits. I was under a huge live oak and got a whopper of signal. It was one of those "flattened soda can under the leaves" kind of signal. I almost walked away from it but then realized we had not seen any modern trash where we were at. I foot swept away a mat of leaves and as I did I saw a flash of silver slide out. Spun around and there was the silver dollar, still inside a cellophane wrapper much like what cigarette packs used to have. My buddy kept giving me a suspicious look like I had planted the find :laughing7:. Since there were no nearby house sites the only thing we could figure out was that it was a hunter's drop.

Congratulations and thanks for reviving a memory for me!
What a great story! Mine was under about 4 inches of leaves and then about 4 inches deep. Not a particularly strong signal, but consistent enough that I had to give it a shot
 
I recently passed the 2,000 coin mark since I seriously started taking up detecting about seven years ago. But I don’t really get to hunt many old sites, so I’ve only dug a few Washington silvers, Eisenhower Silvers, and wheats.

But I found a park near my house that is seldom visited, that I was able to find from old county maps appears to have had an old plantation house near it. My first time out there, I found a Civil War minie ball. I’ve been going back there a lot, finding some cool old things from various trash piles, a bunch of clad, and one silver dime.

Today, I was using my Garrett AT Pro with the sniper coil, and I was almost done for the day because it was really hot and muggy, but I went to a little area that I hadn’t been to before, and it started to hit a 94 to 96.

I thought it was some sort of iron bleeding over, but then I turned on iron audio and didn’t hear any at all, so I thought. “what the heck? I’ll dig it.“ And here it is! Not only my oldest coin, but my first silver dollar!!! Needless to say, I’m still over the moon about it.

Keeps you coming back, right?!View attachment 2260591
Congrats on that Dougie!
 
Congratulations! I've been hunting since 1977, and I still haven't found one of those. Well done!
 
Congrats on a find that's on everyone's wish list, but a find very few ever make
That's because a dollar was a lot of money back in the day. Hard to miss when dropped, and even if you did, you'd realize your loss later and go back and hunt for it.
 
Congrats on that nice looking Morgan.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom