San Miguel style brass Buckle (ca. 1700-1750)

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to a beach side site today that has been getting cleared more and more for a condo. I wanted to see the progress and whether it might have the trees and brush out of the way. I've been watching it pretty closely, but evidently so have others. :BangHead:
Even though there was some nice white beach sand visible instead of the dark organic stained topsoil, there were also many areas where their digging was evident, in clusters instead of random holes. I took that to mean they were having some success getting hits in certain areas, but my expectations were low for finding anything. Definitely wasn't the early bird today starting at 2:30 and not easy in this Fl sun.
I decided to try the fringes about a foot from where they dug and after only about 3-5 min. I got a solid 80 at 4"-6". Usually around here with my AT Max at "All Metal" a 78 to 82 means aluminum cans.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a brass buckle with the tongue still attached looking back at me. :hello2:
(This spot was about 75' west of where I found the small decorative brass hinge last year. Here's the link if interested:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/581248-jewelry-box-hinge-fastening-nail-still-attached.html )

Last but not least here is the online reference at Artifacts.org that I found on belt buckles and why I think this one is the San Miguel style, ".. may have served as harness strap/saddlery or small accoutrement buckles"
Bucklepage
Hope I'm doing this part correct and it doesn't need to be "embedded" somehow.???

Thanks for looking and any comments because I'm still fairly new at this.

Attachments

• 1715ShoeBuckle_InSitu.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_InSitu.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_InSituClose1.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_InSituClose1.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopScale_closeTongue4.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopScale_closeTongue4.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_Back_wScale1.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_Back_wScale1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearTongue5.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_NiceClearTongue5.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 54
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_Edge_closeTongueTip7.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_Edge_closeTongueTip7.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentChape_Tongue8.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentChape_Tongue8.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_NiceFileMarksKeeper3.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_NiceFileMarksKeeper3.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopTongueEngaged_3.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_ExcellentFullTopTongueEngaged_3.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1715ShoeBuckle_Edge_closeTongue2.JPG
    1715ShoeBuckle_Edge_closeTongue2.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 48
Upvote 23

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Spectacle buckle as we call them in the UK span many hundreds of years & at first I thought it maybe earlier than your ID. But then I noticed/learnt something, yours is clearly Brass, as you say, and there are some small variations that I now know to be Spanish & not British. So thanks for the lesson, as most of our Spectacle Buckles were dying out in the 18th C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the likes and Digger RJ, VP Navy and Crusader for the comments.

Crusader, interesting about the British styles of buckles. Do you have any other links to share on the British ones you mention?
I had no idea about an ID until I did the online search. Mine is a slightly different than the ones in the "Bucklepage" link. I had a couple of things going for me to help narrow it down. 1715 Spanish Plate going down locally was the biggest help and being directly onshore from one of them.

I thought it was a shoe buckle until I saw the info indicating it might be equestrian related.

Didn't even consider British but should have because an original Spanish salvage site ("The Winter Beach Salvage Camp") was a little further south and did have a British encampment, 60th British Regiment of Foot (Royal Americans) ca.1780, as ID'd by some of their buttons during an archeological excavation of that area in 1985.

Thanks again to all and this find makes memories of all the pull tabs and aluminum fade away a little. (Insert Aluminum Can or Pull Tab Emoji here:laughing7:)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the likes and Digger RJ, VP Navy and Crusader for the comments.

Crusader, interesting about the British styles of buckles. Do you have any other links to share on the British ones you mention?
I had no idea about an ID until I did the online search. Mine is a slightly different than the ones in the "Bucklepage" link. I had a couple of things going for me to help narrow it down. 1715 Spanish Plate going down locally was the biggest help and being directly onshore from one of them.

I thought it was a shoe buckle until I saw the info indicating it might be equestrian related.

Didn't even consider British but should have because an original Spanish salvage site ("The Winter Beach Salvage Camp") was a little further south and did have a British encampment, 60th British Regiment of Foot (Royal Americans) ca.1780, as ID'd by some of their buttons during an archeological excavation of that area in 1985.

Thanks again to all and this find makes memories of all the pull tabs and aluminum fade away a little. (Insert Aluminum Can or Pull Tab Emoji here:laughing7:)
Cru'dad found a small spectacle buckle today, it dates to the Tudor period, circa 16th C & went on the side of a leather boot. (although they had many uses) Have a look at my next post in about hour.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that's a beauty !! Congrats !! I know someone who has permission to dig there and is having some success. That's a nice one !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The potential there is off the chart....I wish you success. Hope you get a gold one there.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BB for the well wishes. I'm actually very pleased with my two brass items because they are so unique. The hinge with the square headed fastening nail still attached and then this buckle with the tongue still attached as well.

Glad to hear the guys you know have been able to find some nice items.
I stopped by to see progress on the clearing 2-3 months ago and met a couple of guys digging for "shells" south of the boardwalk who said they had permission also. Unfortunately someone from the condo next door was upset and almost called the police on us just as I got there, so we didn't speak for long.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya..they would be very special to me too,knowing there background and the story makes it even better.....I feel gold in your future....got to be goodies there.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful buckle and a super sweet find. Congratsulations big time.:thumbsup:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome to see something old like that coming out of the ground and in Florida too.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an excellent buckle. I am no authority on buckles but I'd be pretty excited to find that one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread