Rebel Man

Jan 26, 2007
Fredericksburg Va
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a Quicksilver & Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large 1800's Button (1".25) found in civil war camp. Help PBK

I found this button at the confederate camp / farm where most everything I have been finding this year.I must admit I was dragged out 5 hours into my hunt, (pinched nerve in my neck & all) I was giving up with 1 bullet, 1 small button, & an unusual I believe a lock cover 1850 patented date, I will post it a little later. I actually was dragging my detector behind me with the car in my sight, cold water snacks and to give my ears a break, when suddenly you guessed it a loud "ping"!!! I don't believe it always happens when I'm ready to leave & give up!! Well folks just like Joe Cocker always sang, I need a little help from friends. You won't believe this but another detectorist found one of these in Tenn. a couple months back,& from what that web site contributed is this!! A Fireman's button ,Chief/ captains button New York City no less. Ok Ok what the heck is this button doing in Spotsylvania VA. where I'm finding all the civil war relics?? The button has this chap blowing a horn/mega phone holding a smudge pot of fire & on the run?? Look close & you will see "FIRE" above his hat. Help PBK I'm not sure of the positive identification from this other web site. Thanks Guys & Gals for looking and sharing your opinion's.
Rebel Man in the fields and woods again & again

Attachments

• Dana\'s metal detectiing finds 2007.JPG
    Dana\'s metal detectiing finds 2007.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,792
Upvote 0

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Large 1800's Button (1".25) across very unusal find in civil war area

GREAT BUTTON :o

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Large 1800's Button (1".25) found in civil war camp. Help PBK

regardless of its rarity, it is very nice button

HH
-GC

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

Great find, Rebel Man!

The Big Book of Buttons by Hughes & Lester lists this button as follows:

EARLY FIRE ASSOCIATION BUTTON, circa 1825-35
The button bears the device of a fireman running in stove-pipe hat, carrying an oil torch to light his way through the streets, and shouting 'Fire' through his speaking horn. One piece brass, slightly convex; reverse: "Scovills Waterbury."

At the time of the book's publication in 1981, this button was valued at $75. Most prices in the book have at least doubled since that time.

A number of late 18th to mid 19th century fire insurance companies reportedly used similar "running fireman" logos, including the Friendship Fire Company of Philadelphia, the Philadelphia Fire Association, and the Associated Fireman's Company of Baltimore.

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Neat old button, WTG!!!

Good job on the ID PBK...
I was trying to figure, I know they used smudge pots to keep the frost off of trees, but what was he going to do with the horn?,,, try to wake them up too.... ;D

Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool button Rebel man ! I spent many years livin in Fredricksburg/Spotslvania/Orange.Have you ever hunted the wood's behind the Spotslvania Mall ? There were camps all through that area. ;D

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great find. And worth a good bit too. Way to go!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on making the banner, nice to see a button make it, it has been awhile and relics are so much a part of history that they deserve recognition.
That is one neat button, never heard of those existing before, but will now be on the lookout for them, especially if they can be associated with the Philly area, heck, I'm close enough for a chance.

As far as your button being found in Va and one in Tn, well, since they were made pre-Civil War, they still could have been worn during that period, or lost after a person moved to those areas from Baltimore, Philly or NYC area.

Don

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

Very nice find! Great ID by PBK. TreasureNet forum comes thru again.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Outstanding Find! I would say that's one of the best and most interesting buttons posted here on T-Net. Congrats on such a historic find.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Here is a button from Associated Firemen's Insurance Company
Baltimore, Maryland 1874-1899. This is from the site, http://www.hammerdown.com/marks.html It looks similar, but I found a photo of a simliar Fire Mark on a building in South Orange, NJ. Search the keywork "FIRE MARKS" .

This is what I love about this hobby. I learn something new every day!!

Attachments

• mark33.jpg
    mark33.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 3,267

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations on making the banner. And once again, great find!!

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Rebel Man. Give this a thought. I remember reading something related to the N.Y. Zuoaves being firemen. I may be wrong about that but it would explain how maybe a N.Y. fireman's button would get to a Civil War area.

I have not read any history of their uniforms to determine if they used such buttons on their military uniforms and they probably didn't but the probability exists that they may have in some cases and if they did not then maybe they had an article of clothing with them from their civilian profession.

Check out these links.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/11200/11224/zouaves_11224.htm

http://www.dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/10thInf/10thInfCWN.htm

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes I was going to say the Zouaves as well but was beat to the punch. GREAT find there bud that button is a really FINE find!!! I have a spot for buttons and that is a GREAT one!Congratulations on that find!!!!

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebelman...congrats on an awesome find and for making the banner, deservedly so. That button is very sweet and is a wonderful piece of history and makes for a totally awesome find!!! I agree that it was probably lost by a soldier in the Zouaves and may have been lost off a home made uniform on which he used one of his fire buttons, or may even have been off the fire uniform itself. I absolutely love civil war buttons and your find is one of the better and unique ones I've seen....CONGRATS!!! Hit that place hard and slowly...gotta be more nice stuff there just waiting for you to pass your coil over it!!!

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

A big congrats on the button and making the banner. It's about time a relic made its way up there.
Happy Hunting

Desertfox

Big_Digger

Oct 24, 2007
Ireland
Detector(s) used
Whites D-F-X

:)very nice button

hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread