Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. About 3 weeks ago I posted about http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...alf-other-silvers-sidewalk-nowhere-field.html.

I cannot believe my good fortune, but I found another Walking Liberty Half Dollar yesterday. Found it at the same field, about 100 yards from where I found the first one, and amazingly this second one is the same year - 1942.
I have to take a moment to say: I'm very thankful to have found this "sidewalk" field. I truly appreciate how rare fields like this one are.

Anyway, here's the story:
Back on Saturday I was out at that field and found a Standing Liberty Quarter; I posted about that on Sunday: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...q-sidewalk-field-equinox-vs-deus-compare.html
In my post and in the video I mentioned being hot, tired and dehydrated, and I left the field with the feeling that there was more good stuff that I left behind.

So, after work yesterday I headed back to the field to see if I was right. And I was: my second signal (after a wheatie) was a 1964 Roosevelt dime, about 10 feet from where the SLQ was found. I was super happy and felt good that my instinct was correct.
I proceeded to detect for another 30-45 minutes and found some other pennies and a modern quarter, and then I got an amazing signal: strong, mid-30's and very clean.

With a gut feeling that the target was going to be good I pulled out my cell phone and took video of the dig; the video is included below (it's only 3 min long).
Boom, there it was: my second (ever) Walking Liberty half!

One other interesting note: I included a picture below with a yellow arrow, red arrow and blue circle. The blue circle is where I found this Walking Liberty. The two colored arrows point to two other plugs that either I or my friend Alex had dug at some point this year, so we were within a few feet of this coin in the past. Goes to show that people miss good targets!

I don't know about you, but when I find something special like that coin I have a little trouble concentrating on additional signals (and metal detecting effectively takes concentration), so I finished my "pass" through the field and headed back to the car, ecstatic about my new find.

Guys and gals, there are still virgin fields out there. Keep looking - you will find one!

- Brian

The dime:
Zbr37gR.jpg

The "dirty" Walking Liberty:
V8Q4HNL.jpg

The two other plugs (red, yellow arrows) near where I found the coin (blue circle):
TrguE3Y.jpg

Side by side: coin on the left in the case is from July; the new coin is on the right:
P9i8ssv.jpg

The live dig:

Upvote 28

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story. I have found 2 walking Liberty halves and both were also 1942. I subbed to you

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your recoveries and well said indeed

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow 2 Walkers in a month or so. My hat off to you. I've been at this for many years, albeit I took a siesta from detecting for about 15 years once and have yet to find my first walker.

Is that a purse you use for a finds pouch? Reason I ask is several years ago when I needed a new one I went to Wal-Mart and bought a lady's denim purse. Works well for me.

Don

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the half and the dime. The site is treating you well, congrats

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats!

Thank you Scolino! Good to hear from you, hope to see you out in some field somewhere soon!

Wow 2 Walkers in a month or so. My hat off to you. I've been at this for many years, albeit I took a siesta from detecting for about 15 years once and have yet to find my first walker.

Is that a purse you use for a finds pouch? Reason I ask is several years ago when I needed a new one I went to Wal-Mart and bought a lady's denim purse. Works well for me.

Don

Funny thing Don is that I've never found a Franklin or Kennedy silver half; I've only found three halves and in addition to these two Walking Liberties the third one that I found is a Barber.
As for a finds pouch - no, I don't use a purse (and I'm secure enough in my manhood to admit it if I did). I actually don't carry a finds pouch with me in a park like this since I'm close enough to the car. Instead I wear "adventure pants" (that's what I call them around the house...."Honey have you seen my Adventure Pants?") which have built-in knee pads and really big cargo pockets. I have a lower pocket for trash and a "top pocket" (a la Gary Drayton) for the good stuff. When I fill the lower pocket with trash it's usually time to go home (it'll fit a six-pack worth of crushed cans and various other crap). Anything bigger than the pocket gets stacked on the path back to the car and taken away as I leave.
I do own a finds pouch - a poor quality one I got from Amazon - and I use it if I'm trekking far from the car because it has a brush, toothpicks, a small spray bottle of water (for silver only), a flashlight and a hard case for anything amazing.

- Brian

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your second walker!:occasion14: It took me three years to find my first one, I got it Oct 31st last year. I found three Franklins, a Barber and a Seated half before my walker, I thought I would never find one, it sure was a great feeling!:laughing7:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your second walker!:occasion14: It took me three years to find my first one, I got it Oct 31st last year. I found three Franklins, a Barber and a Seated half before my walker, I thought I would never find one, it sure was a great feeling!:laughing7:

A Seated half? Wow - what year and what kind of condition is she in? I suspect those don't come along too often.
- Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread