1 Cellar Hole + 2 Visits = 1777 Spanish Silver, Liberty Seated Dime, Large Cent Spill

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had troubles with downloading photos from my camera, and finds over the summer were quite meager. I did however have some good luck recently searching a cellar hole. My first visit produced this 1777 Spanish silver one-reale. It came out of the ground with no toning issues at all.

PA080423.JPG

PA130438.JPG

PA130442.JPG

Recovering the coin came after searching over an hour around the cellar hole with nothing to show for my efforts, but along an old roadway to the dwelling I dug a plain button, and another, and then this engraved tombac button (penny is for comparison).

PA130448.JPG

A few minutes later I hit on another signal only a foot away or so. I then dug even more buttons – 10 buttons in total, so I opened up the ground between the two holes that produced a scattered button spill. That’s when my detector hit on the one reale.

My second search of the cellar hole also produced another multiple target spill. My Deus hit on a 96-97 signal, and I dug up a copper, but in the same 3’ square area I dug another copper, and another, and another. I dug another copper nearly a half-hour later. I had high hopes for some state-issued 1780s coppers or early Large Cents with minimal corrosion, but I’ll have to keep searching. When I arrived home, I discovered that the coins were all Large Cents – mostly 1820s to 1830s with a good deal of corrosion.

PA130450.JPG

PA130453.JPG

The corroded copper in my dig pouch soon had a silver lining. On the old road where I last found the Spanish one reale, I dug another silver coin, an 1887 Liberty Seated dime. It had some toning that I removed with a quick electrolysis cook. The end result was a big improvement. Five old coins on a single hunt is about as good as I can do.

PA130425.JPG

PA130431.JPG

PA130435.JPG

Searching over the summer had been quite unproductive, and detecting overall had been a bit discouraging. On my last hunt before finding this latest site, my best find was my Deus search coil. It fell of my rod assembly after a 20 minute hike through brush and briers. I never thought I’d find it, :sad11: but I retraced my steps to where it was dropped in the brush. Hopefully, the hunting at this new productive site is a turning point that heralds better detecting this fall.

Upvote 45

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding hunts! Congratulations on some awesome coins!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome finds! :icon_thumleft: LC's, a real, buttons and a seated! I'd be on cloud 9 for months!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you had a great day. You did a nice job on the cleaning of your finds. The seated dime is a beautiful coin. Congrats

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would call that a spectacular hunt. What a nice pile of old coins. Those large cents look pretty good compared to some I see. Congrats

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve had troubles with downloading photos from my camera, and finds over the summer were quite meager. I did however have some good luck recently searching a cellar hole. My first visit produced this 1777 Spanish silver one-reale. It came out of the ground with no toning issues at all.

View attachment 1642026

View attachment 1642030

View attachment 1642031

Recovering the coin came after searching over an hour around the cellar hole with nothing to show for my efforts, but along an old roadway to the dwelling I dug a plain button, and another, and then this engraved tombac button (penny is for comparison).

View attachment 1642032

A few minutes later I hit on another signal only a foot away or so. I then dug even more buttons – 10 buttons in total, so I opened up the ground between the two holes that produced a scattered button spill. That’s when my detector hit on the one reale.

My second search of the cellar hole also produced another multiple target spill. My Deus hit on a 96-97 signal, and I dug up a copper, but in the same 3’ square area I dug another copper, and another, and another. I dug another copper nearly a half-hour later. I had high hopes for some state-issued 1780s coppers or early Large Cents with minimal corrosion, but I’ll have to keep searching. When I arrived home, I discovered that the coins were all Large Cents – mostly 1820s to 1830s with a good deal of corrosion.

View attachment 1642033

View attachment 1642034

The corroded copper in my dig pouch soon had a silver lining. On the old road where I last found the Spanish one reale, I dug another silver coin, an 1887 Liberty Seated dime. It had some toning that I removed with a quick electrolysis cook. The end result was a big improvement. Five old coins on a single hunt is about as good as I can do.

View attachment 1642027

View attachment 1642028

View attachment 1642029

Searching over the summer had been quite unproductive, and detecting overall had been a bit discouraging. On my last hunt before finding this latest site, my best find was my Deus search coil. It fell of my rod assembly after a 20 minute hike through brush and briers. I never thought I’d find it, :sad11: but I retraced my steps to where it was dropped in the brush. Hopefully, the hunting at this new productive site is a turning point that heralds better detecting this fall.

Congrats on the really nice finds! I dream that some day I will find a large cent spill! Nice on the silvers as well!

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the excellent coin shooting! :occasion14:

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck,I would not be able to crawl back to my truck if I found coins like yours.Awesome,

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d be elated if I dug those coins. Seriously. I wouldn’t be discouraged and I’d probably be camping there and foraging in the woods if I found anything like that. This should cheer you up: My lifetime best coin find is a quarter. It was one of the states series and was on top of sand so I didn’t even have to dig. My total for the year is $0.63... oldest coin... 1967 dime.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job you killed it!

Top Member Reactions