$1 washington.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I opened 4 rolls yesterday and got at least 15 out of 25 upside down ones per roll.

My opinion:

I think it goes either way at the mint.

There's to many of them to be considered rare, I don't think they'll ever be worth anything other than face value.

I'm still trying for a blank edged one though. I cashed in the ones I had today and I'll be getting more tomorrow.

HH all!

Sparkymaster.

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
The upside down lettering is a scam. They can be either way it doesn't matter. If you seperate them they should be about 50/50.

OP
OP
Diggincoinz

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just doesn't seem like they'd have them either way, it's not uniformed like a coin should be. Too much variance.

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 327

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The lettering is random heads or tails readable. This is so the collectors of these "valuable" tokens, er, I mean coins, will need to collect twice as many. To have a complete set of President tokens, you will need at least 4 of each (twice the Seigniorage, twice the fun?):
a type 1 "D" mint (heads readable)
a type 2 "D" mint (tails readable)
a type 1 "P" mint (heads readable)
a type 2 "P" mint (tails readable)

So $4 times 40 or so presidents (by the end of the run) = $160 put away in the box, never to be spent. The mint knows full well these ugly butt tokens are DOA, no one will really spend them, so they are gearing up for maximum seigniorage. Seigniorage has earned the US Mint 5 BILLION dollars on the state quarters, and of course president dollars will earn them about 4 times as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigniorage

Be sure to get a "special" set that is silver/gold/platinum plated from the shopping networks!

The hardcore collector will also need the expensive "no motto/date/mintmark plain rim" version as well. Or else just get out the old sanding wheel.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Joliet Jake said:
The lettering is random heads or tails readable. This is so the collectors of these "valuable" tokens, er, I mean coins, will need to collect twice as many. To have a complete set of President tokens, you will need at least 4 of each (twice the Seigniorage, twice the fun?):
a type 1 "D" mint (heads readable)
a type 2 "D" mint (tails readable)
a type 1 "P" mint (heads readable)
a type 2 "P" mint (tails readable)

So $4 times 40 or so presidents (by the end of the run) = $160 put away in the box, never to be spent. The mint knows full well these ugly butt tokens are DOA, no one will really spend them, so they are gearing up for maximum seigniorage. Seigniorage has earned the US Mint 5 BILLION dollars on the state quarters, and of course president dollars will earn them about 4 times as much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seigniorage

Be sure to get a "special" set that is silver/gold/platinum plated from the shopping networks!

The hardcore collector will also need the expensive "no motto/date/mintmark plain rim" version as well. Or else just get out the old sanding wheel.

Is that sarcasm I sense? ;D By the way, I bought a roll, what the hell.

John

Coinkid

Jul 11, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Yes, the upside-down lettering thing is a scam. The lettering can be oriented in any way according to the mint. However, unless you were in Jacksonville, Tallahassee, or Chicago last week, you probably won't find any no edge-lettering dollars.I personally found a total of about 250.....but there just aren't any more left. Anywhere. :-\

-Paul

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Yeah, sarcasm.
I wish the mint could create some beautiful coins that would really be used like the $20 double eagles coin. There was a time long ago that they could be bought and used for $20.
Why doesn't the mint produce a new $20 or $10 or $5 coin. You could throw a $20 coin on a bar and buy a few drinks. Who would want to have to dig out a pocketfull of the $1 "Chucky Cheese" coins to buy a round?

It really isn't the Mints fault, as they must implement every coinage law passed by the idiots in congress.

Sigh...., and yes, I have bought some rolls of Washingtons too.....
(But I am REALLY looking forward to the Millard Fillmores!)

Feb 20, 2007
USA
I read somewhere the lettering is done that way at ramdom by the mint. I think I remember reading the edge lettering was done first and then the blanks were stuck with the heads and tails. So I guess you could get them either way and the lettering around is not always in the same spot either, if that makes sense. ???

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
I bought a couple of these plug-ugly dollars from a bank the other day. They look like the chocolate filled foil-wrapped candy coins. But at least the candy coins are edible. It is disturbing to me that our own government would approve and release such miserable coin designs. It's a symbol, I fear, of an overall loss of national pride. Years ago, such designs would never have received serious consideration for coinage, let alone approval. How sad, indeed.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I bought a single roll. Just for kicks I am going to buy a brand new roll of every president, and toss them in the safe, until I have an entire set.

Just for saving some coin (literally lol).

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Joliet Jake said:
Yeah, sarcasm.
I wish the mint could create some beautiful coins that would really be used like the $20 double eagles coin. There was a time long ago that they could be bought and used for $20.
Why doesn't the mint produce a new $20 or $10 or $5 coin. You could throw a $20 coin on a bar and buy a few drinks. Who would want to have to dig out a pocketfull of the $1 "Chucky Cheese" coins to buy a round?

It really isn't the Mints fault, as they must implement every coinage law passed by the idiots in congress.

Sigh...., and yes, I have bought some rolls of Washingtons too.....
(But I am REALLY looking forward to the Millard Fillmores!)

Amen brother!!

John

silvershark

Feb 1, 2007
Illinois
I'm with Joliet Jake on this one, I would really like to see a new high-level-currency coin out sometime soon. Hopefully, one that is actually nice to look at. I think a high grade $20 coin would be awesome in the next few years. maybe a remake of the walking liberty, yanno, somethink retro, but really good looking.

-SS

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
I went to my bank and asked if they had any of these. She said they did but were limiting two per customer. I said: "Only two rolls?" and she said: "No, only 2 coins!!"

I couldn't believe it!!

Anyway, I got my two ugly dollar coins.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
silvershark said:
I'm with Joliet Jake on this one, I would really like to see a new high-level-currency coin out sometime soon. Hopefully, one that is actually nice to look at. I think a high grade $20 coin would be awesome in the next few years. maybe a remake of the walking liberty, yanno, somethink retro, but really good looking.

-SS

Unless they would make it the size of the new dollar, it is probably cheaper to print the paper money. .057 cents to print a note. http://www.moneyfactory.gov/document.cfm/18/106
Minting coinage seems to be more expensive. Over .05 cents to mint a dollar coin. http://www.coinflation.com/
Of course the coins last much longer, but what does the government care about saving our money?

John

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
In the long run, it's cheaper to mint coins than to print money. Paper money simply wears out faster. CRHers regularly come across coins that are 20, 30, 50 or more years old. How many paper bills does one find in circulation that are that old? Printing new bills, destroying the old, ratty looking ones, and then replacing them by printing crisp, new ones adds up over the years. The treasury is perhaps too short-sighted to see this, however.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread