10" BH Magnum Coil

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
10" BH Magnum Coil

I just got a Bounty Hunter "10 coil in the mail from kellyco yesterday. After attaching it to my cheapie "Fast Tracker" I noticed it is much heavier to swing my detector! It looks impressive and all, but a tech at the factory said it could only detect a coin in mineralized soil at around 8". Also, and more important there's a cache that I believe is about the size of a cigar box (in highly mineralized soil) which the same guy told me it could only pick up @ about a foot down or slightly more! I've picked up a beer can that was standing up with my 7" factory coil deeper than that!!!
What's the "real deal" with a coil this size? Is it a cache and old coin hunter's dream or a boat anchor??? Any thoughts or experiences on this would be greatly appreciated....
HH
-spyguy

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Re: 10" BH Magnum Coil

The 10" coil has only the same depth or slightly better than the 7"-8" coils. Mineralized soil can reduce depth of detection, & a larger coil could even be worse in really bad ground as it sees more ground minerals at a time (bigger area of ground under coil). The 10" may gain you a little depth in some areas.

I have moderately mineralized ground, have detected since 1976 with dozens of different detectors & have never found a coin over 7" deep. Those who dig it all using all metal would be able to go a little deeper, but I use discrimination & only dig what IDs as coins, usually, due to modern trash being plentiful in many areas.

Many very valuable items can still be found in some places at depths of 8" or less. I've even got silver dimes 4" deep from heavily detected parks in recent years. But some old areas have been detected with the deepest detectors by real pros, or have had major renovations with several inches or more of fill dirt.

Many detectorists with $500+ detectors will tell you they still find most of their coins within 6" of the surface. While a few people have got rich with a big cache, some have also searched for them for years without finding one. Cache detectorists would probably use coils of 15"+ diameter, and the detector & coils would be hundreds of $$.

Old coins, relics, caches and jewelry are nice bonuses, but one person with a cheap Bounty Hunter said they've found over $2,000 in newer coins. I live in a new suburban area & have found sometimes $5-$10 in a few hours at shallow depths. To me it's fun. HH, George (MN)

Texas Coin Hunter

Aug 24, 2007
Kenedy, Tx.
Detector(s) used
BH land star & Pioneer EX made by BH & Whites Bullseye ll Pin Pointer
Re: 10" BH Magnum Coil

Hi Spyguy

The 10" coil will go about 10" deep, but you'll need tobe in a non trashy area for it too work really good, even better use it right after a good ol rain. I prefer a 8" for non trash areas & the 4" sniper coil for trashy areas, those are the only 2 coils that i will use, those sellers place names like "MAGNUM" and such on a coil to try to make you think you getting something a lot better.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread