Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out Sunday for a couple of hours with xGregx for a tearout hunt.

Finds were very sparse, but managed to come away with a keeper.

1877CC Seated Liberty Dime and a collar stud with pearlized pattern on it (not shown).

I need to figure out how to get the black crud off. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. It looks like tar, but fingernail polish remover didn't phase it.

Hope everyone is able to get out between the rain and storms that are headin our way :toothy2:

Attachments

• 1877 CC Seated Dime Obverse.JPG
    1877 CC Seated Dime Obverse.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 1877 CC Seated Dime Reverse.JPG
    1877 CC Seated Dime Reverse.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 313

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
NICE Find!!!! Did ya find it in the downtown area??? I drove thru there yesterday on my way home from the lake!
Told the spousal unit that this is my next local stop...I see ya beat me to it...as usual!

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
NICE Find!!!! Did ya find it in the downtown area??? I drove thru there yesterday on my way home from the lake!
Told the spousal unit that this is my next local stop...I see ya beat me to it...as usual!

Thanks Vibes,

Downtown area was the place, but not your space :tongue3:

If I remember correctly, all of South Bend and Mishawaka is your hunting grounds :tongue3: so stay over there on your side of the line :tongue3:

Not much to find down there in the city without a Heart. We found a few pieces of whats its and a couple of old rusted iron rail spikes from the trolley system from days of old. The original brick street is still there for now and the contractor is packing them on skids and shipping them out. That's probably the biggest treasure down there being revealed.
L8r
DJH
rc2125 said:
Thanks Ryan

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Black gunk is likely tar or oil sludge. Remove by using acetone, which reacts only with organic material. Safest material to use with delicate silver coins. Soak Q-tips in acetone, then gently rub in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. May take several Q-tips to clean. Roofing tar is especially difficult to remove.

BTW, very nice dime here. I'll look forward to seeing the cleaned photos, too. Looks to be in one of the higher grades, based on other elevated features.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Black gunk is likely tar or oil sludge. Remove by using acetone, which reacts only with organic material. Safest material to use with delicate silver coins. Soak Q-tips in acetone, then gently rub in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. May take several Q-tips to clean. Roofing tar is especially difficult to remove.

BTW, very nice dime here. I'll look forward to seeing the cleaned photos, too. Looks to be in one of the higher grades, based on other elevated features.

Thanks Tuberale for the advice. I tried the nail polish remover and there was no luck.

The more I look at it the more I'm remembering that there was a nail in the hole with hit and these are most likely rust stains and not tar or oil sludge.

Definitely will post a pic. when I get it cleaned up. The details are very strong and looks as if it were dropped shortly after being in circulation.

DJH

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, congrats and good luck cleaning it.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
DJH,

Look, you pilfered and pillaged a few of my parks...so ONE trip for me to the "heart" of it all is, well, expected and should be embraced with much gusto! :headbang:

In the meantime I'm taking the show on the road and doing as much P&P&P (pilfering, pillaging and perching) in the Buckeye state!

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
DJH,

Look, you pilfered and pillaged a few of my parks...so ONE trip for me to the "heart" of it all is, well, expected and should be embraced with much gusto! :headbang:

In the meantime I'm taking the show on the road and doing as much P&P&P (pilfering, pillaging and perching) in the Buckeye state!
ROFLMAO :laughing7:

Well then Welcome to my Kingdom :laughing7:

Good luck in the Buckeye state :icon_thumleft:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
diggin jimmy hoffa said:
Thanks Tuberale for the advice. I tried the nail polish remover and there was no luck.

The more I look at it the more I'm remembering that there was a nail in the hole with hit and these are most likely rust stains and not tar or oil sludge.

Definitely will post a pic. when I get it cleaned up. The details are very strong and looks as if it were dropped shortly after being in circulation.

DJH
Nail polish is probably acetone. But may not be 100%. If road tar, you may need 100% acetone.

Even with an iron nail next to the coin, there should be no rust stains on silver. So you have some other form of gunk there. Ever heard of Gunk-Off, an oil remover for auto mechanics? A possibility, but I have no idea whether it will damage silver.

Whatever you do, you sure don't want to hurt that beautiful lady! Don't see any mint luster on the coin, so likely below an AU50 grade. But certainly in the higher used category.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DaveP. said:
Very nice find. :headbang:
Thanks and welcome to our little part of the Indiana Forum.

By chance, are you and Tuberdale related? You 2 look very much alike :laughing7:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Uh, that would be a no I think. Tuberdale is a valley where potatoes are grown. Maybe.

Tuberale is the scientific name for the true truffle family. I happen to have one named for me. Ergo, my on-line name.

But thanks for noticing our similarities.<G>

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Uh, that would be a no I think.
Just in a good mood and kidding around.

I tried some bug and tar remover on those black spots and it didn't even make a dent.

Going to try electrolysis. Gonna take it slow and keep a watchful eye on it during the procedure.

I'll post new pics. after I get it done.

HH
DJH

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
diggin jimmy hoffa said:
I tried some bug and tar remover on those black spots and it didn't even make a dent.

Going to try electrolysis. Gonna take it slow and keep a watchful eye on it during the procedure.

HH
DJH

Electrolysis can cause burn marks at the anode/cathode. Please, no.

Uhm. Is the black area raised? Maybe the gunk is metal fused to the coin? Does it feel raised to the fingers?

If not raised try putting the coin on a hot stove burner. Heat by itself should not bother the coin. But might help getting the gunk off.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
diggin jimmy hoffa said:

HH
DJH

Electrolysis can cause burn marks at the anode/cathode. Please, no.

Uhm. Is the black area raised? Maybe the gunk is metal fused to the coin? Does it feel raised to the fingers?

If not raised try putting the coin on a hot stove burner. Heat by itself should not bother the coin. But might help getting the gunk off.
The black spots are very slightly raised and are barely noticeable with my finger tip. I'm leaning more toward metal fusion being the culprit. I'll give the hot stove method a try first. Thnx for your input, as I don't want to ruin this little lady.

DBFISHER

Apr 21, 2009
Elkhart, IN.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA350 , Fisher F-70
I need to get my butt in gear. I drive by downtown every day,twice a day for that fact.and say that would be a good place to detect.

OP
OP
diggin jimmy hoffa

diggin jimmy hoffa

Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jersey devl said:
Thats one pretty lady you got there DJH,big congrats! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Thanks jersey devl, she was quite a surprise to find.

Greg dug what we thought was an Indian within 20 feet of my find and after he soaked it, found out is was a miserable wheatie ???

smasher said:
I need to get my butt in gear. I drive by downtown every day,twice a day for that fact.and say that would be a good place to detect.

Smasher!!! You still around?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
diggin jimmy hoffa said:
The black spots are very slightly raised and are barely noticeable with my finger tip. I'm leaning more toward metal fusion being the culprit. I'll give the hot stove method a try first. Thnx for your input, as I don't want to ruin this little lady.
If spots are from metal fusion, heating the coin should have no noticable effect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread