May 31, 2014
Riverview
Detector(s) used
MineLab Equinox 900
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently purchased a Minelab Equinox 900 and it has surpassed my expectations for sure… 8 rings in just over a month with one 18k with diamonds. However, since I pretty much do beach detecting 95% of the time, would going to a 15 inch coil from my 11 inch coil really make a difference? And if so, any recommendations as ti go with a Minelab or Coiltek? Thanks in advance!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" coil allows you to cover more area with each sweep.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe this will help your decision:
I'd go for the Minelab 15 over the Coiltek, because the ML 15" side to side axis is 11" w/15" length on the forward/back axis vs the Coiltek which is just a true round 15" and the 11" ML is also circular. I'd prefer to have the increase in size on the forward/back vs. a true circular increase in diameter. That ML 15" shape gives my eyes and brain a better way to grid out a piece of land, helping to square off the coverage better.

Jon 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi. I have the Coiltek 15" and while it works, it is HEAVY. I think the Minelab is lighter, and I would recommend going with the lighter one. (I use a counterweight on my Equinox when I have the 15" on it.)

I do think it's good to cover more ground, which both options allow you to do.

- Brian

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....and you get a workout in the process
I always use a harness when I hunt, I have hunted dawn to dusk with 15" coils on my excals and 3030s. Harnesses make hunting so much easier and I can let completely go of my detector to use both hands on my Scoop, detector hangs at my side controls up, and coil down.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread