$15 TS Haul. Sterling Jewelry, Salad Tongs and $0.25 Wedding Dress?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found myself once again at my go-to store. This time I went with a plan as today was a big sale day - some colored tag items are a quarter and others change to 50% and 25% off. I first set my sights on the jewelry counter..

Supposedly a lot of new jewelry was put out today, but I didn't see any unfamiliar pieces that seemed worthwhile at all. I began by picking up some pieces I've had my eyes on. Was about 27 grams worth of sterling with two small stones. Worth about $16 in scrap, but I'm looking to resell it all as jewelry. The solid bracelet appears to be the only vintage piece marking "Sterling" in a nice script.

sterling lot.JPG

Next I turned to two items that I've had my eye on since they first came to the sales floor, a pair of salad servers. I never did any research on them before today, but for a quarter a piece it didn't matter. They appeared to have a sterling or plated handle, while the other half of each is black plastic. The handles pass an acid test on a stone (did not file). They are unmarked and appear to have a magnetic metal piece inside the center of them, but it does not run all the way through the handle. After doing some research, the design seems similar to Wallace Silver's "Queens". However, I can't find an exact match to the design nor the piece itself. Perhaps an older alteration? Here's the design: WALLACE*Queens (Sterling) at Replacements, Ltd

salad 1.JPG
salad 2.JPG

While picking some miscellaneous costume jewelry for a quarter a piece, the employee assisting me pointed out that one of the wedding dresses on display was a quarter. White, appeared in good shape with a quick inspection, didn't investigate further. Now that I am home I see that it is a David's Bridal dress. The style is K3000 and it is size 6. I found one listed online used for $300 stating original price was $850 in 2004. I don't see this model on their website now, though. Here is the one I found online: Oleg Cassini K3000 Size 6 | Wedding Dresses

dress 1.JPG
dress 2.JPG

Here is some misc costume jewelry for $0.25 a piece that I picked up. They give you one free for every 4 you buy, so I grabbed some good ones and then basically whatever was left for an even 10 quarter pieces. Nothing is hallmarked. Might get a couple bucks out of each and pair the pendants with some costume chains. I remember someone was going to buy that alligator ring before for full price weeks ago (I think like $6?), but never came back to pick it up. The small band appeared to be silver, but I couldn't find a hallmark. Alas, failed the acid test.

costume lot.JPG

Last edited:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have seen costume jewelry lizards, frogs, butterflies, dragonflies, turtles, etc.... do they sell well? Saw a sterling silver turtle few days ago with some native american looking hallmark, but passed since some jackhole had taken a file to the front of it in a huge way to see if it really was sterling =(

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I have seen costume jewelry lizards, frogs, butterflies, dragonflies, turtles, etc.... do they sell well? Saw a sterling silver turtle few days ago with some native american looking hallmark, but passed since some jackhole had taken a file to the front of it in a huge way to see if it really was sterling =(

I heard that rhinestone animals etc do sell well, but I've never sold any myself. I sold some Joan Rivers bee pin that had imitation rubies in it for $30 BIN in a day, but that was a signed piece. From what I'm seeing on sold eBay listings, pieces somewhat like mine went for around $5. I will probably list it around $9.99 -14.99 OBO and accept almost any offer unless it gains a lot of attention.

As far as the filing thing - this isn't the first time I've heard about that. Why some fool would ruin a piece of art to see if it is genuine or not is beyond me. And then to not even purchase it? Or if it's the seller are they really so foolish as to do that before selling it as sterling? Who knows.

Speaking of native american pieces, there is a local pawnshop that I've only been in twice that has some pieces in need of serious research. I've only been in there twice. The first time was to see how bad they'd rip me off on gold scrap.. BAD. The second time was to browse around. Looked for silver coins/rounds, but they were sold out and said they can't hold onto it long before someone buys it. Anyway, so they've got huge wrap around glass display case and have a handful of turquoise sterling pieces that appear to be native american design. I need to get a look at some makers marks and see if there is anything worth investing in. I know that most of these pieces are priced at about $9.99 - earrings, pendants, etc. I'd have to research native american makers because I have no clue what is valuable and what pieces wouldn't even be worth the $10 I'd be paying.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah sadly the silver turtle was marked 925 plainly on the back in the middle.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch.

I do have one pendant that I believe is Native American. It is sterling with abalone? pieces. I forget the name of the figure.. The dancing guy playing the flute. On the back, lightly scratched in by hand, I can make out what appears to be some non English language and 925. I'll have to take pictures and upload them on here later. Found it in a grab bag of jewelry at one of the TSs.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch.

I do have one pendant that I believe is Native American. It is sterling with abalone? pieces. I forget the name of the figure.. The dancing guy playing the flute. On the back, lightly scratched in by hand, I can make out what appears to be some non English language and 925. I'll have to take pictures and upload them on here later. Found it in a grab bag of jewelry at one of the TSs.
Kokopelli

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys... I have a large bin FILLED with costume stuff like this. Not trying to discourage you all but you need to ask yourselves who youre marketing this stuff to. Who is gonna buy the little rhinestone animal pins? Little old ladies? Do they shop on ebay? Just something to think about.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys... I have a large bin FILLED with costume stuff like this. Not trying to discourage you all but you need to ask yourselves who your marketing this stuff to. Who is gonna buy the little rhinestone animal pins? Little old ladies? Do they shop on ebay? Just something to think about.

You're probably right about the cheaper pieces. I know some can be collectable, but I'm barely dipping my toes in costume jewelry at this point.

Wasn't shopping for these pieces in particular, but for a quarter a piece, I think I can make a buck or two. They were more or less a cheap gamble, but I figure worst case scenario I'm out a dollar.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kokopelli

Yes! This. Thank you! I'll post pictures tomorrow morning after work. I saw a lot of those pieces sell decently to very well. I'd be content with $10, but never know could be $30+ to somebody.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have information as to if Wallace Silver created pieces without hallmarks or any way to ID the salad servers' maker? Browsing eBay resulted in MANY similar pieces, sold and unsold, that are plastic with sterling handles. Some are listed as no marking, but none listed have the same pattern. I'll probably contact Wallace Silver to inquire about it.. but if they claim it isn't from them I have no idea.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Are you sure the handles on the salad service pieces are not marked? Most of the time marks on those are so small as to be almost non-existent. Check on & under the ridge where the handle meets the plastic, & also on the undecorated side of the handle in the same general area. If it's sterling it will be marked.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure the handles on the salad service pieces are not marked? Most of the time marks on those are so small as to be almost non-existent. Check on & under the ridge where the handle meets the plastic, & also on the undecorated side of the handle in the same general area. If it's sterling it will be marked.

I can't find anything so far. I'll polish them up some later and check. I may end up using them for scrap anyway and just rip the handles off. The plastic pieces have some scratches, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread