1692 Port Royal Spanish cross

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi all, I just received a cross that I purchased on Ebay from Richard Armstrong aka revwarcannonballs. I bought it as a gift to my wife, but saw an identical one posted for sale immediately after I bought it, and have since read some reviews online that this seller sometimes accidentally puts the wrong provenance for items. What are your thoughts on this cross? Mine is the darker one, and the lighter one is on ebay now. Is it at least from before 1692?

image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks like the seller is a middle man or obtained many items from Joseph Becker. Did you receive an authentication letter by Becker? It is possible that both crosses were recovered, displayed and sold to Becker when the museum was closed to pay its debt. I did not find anything on Becker or a Port Royal Museum closing. Looks nice, have your wife wear it and enjoy any story passed on with its purchase.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks! Any ideas if the age is right? I couldn't find anything on the use of molds for pendant crosses from that time period.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Suspension loops such as shown were used back in the 11th century and before.
The closest to your cross that I have seen is an Ethiopian Orthodox Coptic cross from the Aksum region. However the photo/info was not dated. Hope this helps and might further your search for the answer.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There are a lot of modern ethiopian coptic crosses on ebay, thanks! Luckily it doesn't match any of the modern ones for sale! Let ya know if anything else comes up thx!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread