relichunters
Bronze Member
1700's belt buckle? ID? Banner item?
So was out detecting with my best detecting friend Bob. We found a secret spot sshhh.
These two items were in the same hole together and were at least 12" down. Bob can verify it for you. You can stick your arm in and it'd be past your elbow!!
So anyways, there were 2 large roots about the size of a nickle that were crossed over in an X pattern.
Sadly the only thing we could do is chop because the item was underneath it.
Pulled out this beautiful belt buckle, it rings solid Silver on our machines, so I don't know if it might be plated?
For as deep as it was and in a field with lots of old history we think it could be 1700's. Maybe a pilgrim buckle? I am hoping someone can ID this better.
The wrench is broken a bit and is real bad condition but it is old no doubt. Has a S pattern to it. Any help?
OH and the buckle latch piece moves and works perfectly, you could put it on and wear it with no problems.
So was out detecting with my best detecting friend Bob. We found a secret spot sshhh.
These two items were in the same hole together and were at least 12" down. Bob can verify it for you. You can stick your arm in and it'd be past your elbow!!
So anyways, there were 2 large roots about the size of a nickle that were crossed over in an X pattern.
Sadly the only thing we could do is chop because the item was underneath it.
Pulled out this beautiful belt buckle, it rings solid Silver on our machines, so I don't know if it might be plated?
For as deep as it was and in a field with lots of old history we think it could be 1700's. Maybe a pilgrim buckle? I am hoping someone can ID this better.
The wrench is broken a bit and is real bad condition but it is old no doubt. Has a S pattern to it. Any help?
OH and the buckle latch piece moves and works perfectly, you could put it on and wear it with no problems.


!! Of course I'd say we all like older things, however, I personally really love to find cool things like your buckle!! When an item is odd and/or cool, it doesn't matter to me how old it is, I'm happy!! About depth: In my experience, for what it's worth, I have also, as Utah Hunter stated, found Indian head pennies, Barber dimes, V nickles etc... at 0"-3" and in the same totally undisturbed area (within 2') by man, have dug Lincoln memorials at 6"-8"
, how that happens, couldn't say. I've thought about the ground freezing pushing the older coins to the top while allowing newer coins to sink, but have found the same situation in climes where the ground doesn't freeze! The only explanation I've ever heard that even sounded close to plausible was what a really wise, old (90 year old) friend of mine suggested, (bear in mind he was three-quarters Cherokee, and therefore in, my opinion, many times more knowledgeable about nature and it's cycles than I'll ever be, being raised in the "old ways"). His opinion was that how deep undisturbed items were in the ground depended on the phase the moon was in when they were dropped!!?? To me this does sound at least reasonable, since science has shown the direct effect of the moon on gravity. Of course, as I said, "for what it's worth". But, that doesn't account for the roots!! One of the great detector mysteries, I suppose!! Anyway, sorry to ramble, again, I'd be proud to own that cool buckle!! Great hunting and good luck!! Regards, Richard.






