🥇 BANNER 1700's Luckenbooth TRADE Silver!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Headed back out to an old colonial permission, turned honey hole recently with Stef45. Weather hasn't been great, but we did manage a get in a few hours before the rain ran us off. Every time I walk away from hunting here, I start researching new sites as we assuming it must be pounded out. Countless hours gridding with both the CTX and Deus have almost certainly cleared the good stuff...not quite. Instead of walking in grids, I decided to change the angle of the coil by walking in a concentric circle on the main iron patch. Today's weapon of choice was the mighty XP Deus and my first target was the mythical whisper signal. 99% of the time these top of the right horseshoe targets are deep iron (OutdoorAdv can probably speak better to this), but every now and then its a deep non-ferrous target. Dug the plug, but still no target...with all the iron there is no chance of a clean pin point so I widened the plug and dug a bit deeper. At the point were the sandy top soil met the hard clay (12-13 inches) my pin pointer finally rang out. Never thought I'd see one of these in person...1700s Luckenbooth trade silver brooch!

20170121_142949.jpg 14851049362952015593192.jpg

A bit of history on these- A Luckenbooth brooch is a Scottish heart-shaped brooch. Luckenbooth is traditionally given to a bride by her groom on her wedding day as a symbol of love (heart) and loyalty (crown). They were also attached to either the bedclothes or the clothing of a newborn child as it was believed to ease child birth and insure good breast milk. These brooches often have a crown above one heart, or two intertwined hearts with Scottish motifs like the St. Andrew's Cross or the thistle. The crown is designed after that of Mary Queen of Scots. She gave a Luckenbooth brooch to her betroth decorated with her monogram and a thistle. The thistle is the national emblem of Scotland along with the Latin motto, Nemo me impune Laecessit ("No one provokes me with impunity"). Silver was the usual material, although gold heart brooches were made for wealthy people. Some brooches were engraved with initials, dates or mottoes. Inexpensive glass paste "gems" or stones (described in ancient advertisements as Cairngorm stones) were sometimes used on silver brooches. Its name is believed to have come from the "Locked Booths" where these brooches were sold on The Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Locked booths were shops in Edinburgh from St Giles to Canon gate which became the city's first Jewellery shops in the 16th century (luckenbooth was a Scots word for a lockable stall or workshop). They were demolished in 1817.

By the mid 18th century luckenbooth tokens also featured heavily as trade silver items to the indigenous peoples of North America, particularly the Six Nations and Iroquois Indians. As a result, Iroquois created their own "Iroquois brooch" and luckenbooth became a common decorative symbol in 18th and early 19th century native clothing.

20170122_094359.jpg 20170122_094412.jpg 20170121_180413.jpg

This silver brooch is without a doubt my favorite civilian relic recovered to date.

Not far from the brooch, I got another whisper target- at about the same depth at the clay layer. 1781 1/2 Real Spanish (this time with the CTX)

20170113_175658.jpg 20170122_094458.jpg 20170122_094543.jpg

As if these 2 silver weren't enough I also checked the 1857 flying eagle cent off the bucket list

20170122_094621.jpg 20170122_094711.jpg

Also pulled a crusty 1873 IHP

20170122_094953.jpg 20170122_094959.jpg

As far as other relics go, recovered a few nice flat buttons- 1 with silver wash and another with a flower design

20170122_095218.jpg 20170122_095224.jpg 20170122_095255.jpg 20170122_095300.jpg

Few other unmarked flats

20170122_095349.jpg

Also dug a pewter spoon

20170122_095443.jpg

Pair of 18th century leather bosses

20170122_094840.jpg 20170122_094851.jpg

Along the perimeter of the property I started digging a ton of camp lead- also these tent rivets (one still has the leather intact)

20170122_095545.jpg

This one is a bit of a mystery- maybe early stained glass fragment (green class with lead in back)

20170122_095737.jpg 20170122_095742.jpg

Also a nice iron buckle destined for the electrolysis tank

20170122_095824.jpg

Suspect this button is turn of the century- cloth covered with iron back

20170122_095041.jpg 20170122_095046.jpg

All in all another hunt for the record books for me- trade silver brooch, Spanish, and a Flying Eagle cent has set the bar high for the rest of 2017. As always thanks for looking and good luck out there

20170122_100034.jpg 20170122_100239.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 94

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For sure Fish, this brooch is certainly more ornate then most if the examples I can find online

How do I say anything without the regulars on here hating me?

The reason that is "the most ornate" trade silver you could find online, is that it is not trade silver. It has been repaired with a piece of wire. It is far too ornate for trading silver. The group hopefully will put some common sense thought to that, rather than disliking me. Trade silver often was made of flat silver to catch a good reflection, without embossed details that would not shine like a flat mirror surface.

I found a similar early silver heart 15 years ago, and had some help in finally learning what "mine" was used for. The one I have does not have the crown. The crown normally shows up on the hearts that were to show love to your betrothed....as in a couple, in love.

The ones without the crown are for a different reason. As you all know, infant and child mortality was common. The heart was pinned to a newborns swaddling blanket to "protect" that infant. I've yet to see one with any sort of locking clasp like a woman's brooch, they are merely"pinned" to the swaddling cloth with the simple cross piece.

Mine was found adjacent to one of the remaining rural wooded sections of the "Connecticut Path" which was first used in 1638 by the original settlers of the Connecticut colonies of Windsor and Wethersfield, who left Newtown Mass, on a 28 day trek. The path was then used much more than a century, so mine may, or may not be related to early travelers....or know which "early"century.

Mine is my favorite lifetime find and I posted it on that favorite thread in the past. It means a lot more to me, as I think of how it was pinned to an infant, hundreds of years ago by a mother facing new-world life's challenges.

I'd like to post on the other one shown yesterday? That one is also for newborns. Maybe he would appreciate some input, maybe not. These are very special early finds in my humble opinion.

Pics below. please note that the heart was found in the open position, and the needle thick iron hinge pin crumbled as I held it. It shows a toothpick holding the crossbar. (I've since used a real pin)

Attachments

• DSCN1264.jpg
    DSCN1264.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1263.jpg
    DSCN1263.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0491.JPG
    DSCN0491.JPG
    482.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0492.JPG
    DSCN0492.JPG
    478.1 KB · Views: 80
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
How do I say anything without the regulars on here hating me?

The reason that is "the most ornate" trade silver you could find online, is that it is not trade silver. It has been repaired with a piece of wire. It is far too ornate for trading silver. The group hopefully will put some common sense thought to that, rather than disliking me. Trade silver often was made of flat silver to catch a good reflection, without embossed details that would not shine like a flat mirror surface.

I found a similar early silver heart 15 years ago, and had some help in finally learning what "mine" was used for. The one I have does not have the crown. The crown normally shows up on the hearts that were to show love to your betrothed....as in a couple, in love.

The ones without the crown are for a different reason. As you all know, infant and child mortality was common. The heart was pinned to a newborns swaddling blanket to "protect" that infant. I've yet to see one with any sort of locking clasp like a woman's brooch, they are merely"pinned" to the swaddling cloth with the simple cross piece.

Mine was found adjacent to one of the remaining rural wooded sections of the "Connecticut Path" which was first used in 1638 by the original settlers of the Connecticut colonies of Windsor and Wethersfield, who left Newtown Mass, on a 28 day trek. The path was then used much more than a century, so mine may, or may not be related to early travelers....or know which "early"century.

Mine is my favorite lifetime find and I posted it on that favorite thread in the past. It means a lot more to me, as I think of how it was pinned to an infant, hundreds of years ago by a mother facing new-world life's challenges.

I'd like to post on the other one shown yesterday? That one is also for newborns. Maybe he would appreciate some input, maybe not. These are very special early finds in my humble opinion.

Pics below. please note that the heart was found in the open position, and the needle thick iron hinge pin crumbled as I held it. It shows a toothpick holding the crossbar. (I've since used a real pin)

No offense taken at all CT, your comments are spot on with the historical context I offered in the narrative (A Luckenbooth brooch is a Scottish heart-shaped brooch. Luckenbooth is traditionally given to a bride by her groom on her wedding day as a symbol of love (heart) and loyalty (crown). They were also attached to either the bedclothes or the clothing of a newborn child as it was believed to ease child birth and insure good breast milk). What I know with this example is that it is in fact a Luckenbooth brooch, and based on the integral post (or lack there of a pin hinge) 18th century. Whether it was used as trade silver is educated speculation based on the limited research I had available. Your point regarding the ornate nature does suggest a more personal purpose rather than a mere trade good. Thanks again for your input CT, although based on the pin hinge exhibited by Mr Diggers example as well as yours, I suspect the latter are 19th century examples.

Last edited:

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were also attached to either the bedclothes or the clothing of a newborn child QUOTE]

I don't know how much thinking, or daydreaming :) other colonial era hunters do with their finds. Maybe I think too much: You know how we all would feel if we lost some personal keepsake... I can't help wondering how a newborn's Mother felt when she realized that good luck "protector" was gone. She quite well may have thought it was a dark omen. likely terrified..

I do read the gravestones in abandoned forest sites here, and always stop a moment at the stones of infants and children.....

EDIT to add:

I forgot to give the actual name of these. Witch's Heart

http://www.bmjnyc.com/blogs/blog/524...e-heart-jewels

From there:

"A variation on the Georgian open heart brooch was the witch’s heart. In these pieces, the tail of the heart twist to one direction (usually the right). This style gained popularity in Scotland in the 17th century and was named “Luckenbooth” after the closed booths in Edinburgh where they were sold. Witch’s hearts were initially worn to protect loved ones from evil spirits. Tiny witch’s hearts were pinned to baby’s blankets to ward off dark forces."

And:

"By the 18th century, the witch’s heart took on a new meaning. Lovers gifted each other with witch’s hearts as love token to symbolize that they’d been “bewitched” with love. There were typically made with garnets and often crowned (a symbol of loyalty). Double-hearted witch’s hearts symbolized serious commitment, like betrothal or marriage."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They were also attached to either the bedclothes or the clothing of a newborn child QUOTE]

I don't know how much thinking, or daydreaming :) other colonial era hunters do with their finds. Maybe I think too much: You know how we all would feel if we lost some personal keepsake... I can't help wondering how a newborn's Mother felt when she realized that good luck "protector" was gone. She quite well may have thought it was a dark omen. likely terrified..

I do read the gravestones in abandoned forest sites here, and always stop a moment at the stones of infants and children.....

The stories behind lost personal effects have always drawn me toward relic hunting rather than beach combing for valuables. As I sit next to my 4 month old who himself hasn't been sleeping, you certainly can't help but feel a connection to the brooch.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
The stories behind lost personal effects have always drawn me toward relic hunting rather than beach combing for valuables. As I sit next to my 4 month old who himself hasn't been sleeping, you certainly can't help but feel a connection to the brooch.

4 months. That's a cute age. Congrats

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds as always Jon. Looking forward to getting back out there soon!

montcalm

Jan 31, 2015
Lévis, Quebec
Detector(s) used
Tesoro shark,Tesoro Cortes, ExcaliburII,Garett Atpro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see one of those and the history going along . T hank's to share .amazing how far Indian you travel.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No such thing as the bar being too high brother! When I started this hobby I put Mass silver at the tippy top. Less than 2 years later I had one in my collection. If you write it down and believe you can do it, then put in the time and research and effort you just might make it happen. You've already found some once in a lifetimers buddy.... no reason for that to stop now. I'm enjoying watching your success

Forgot to add a pine tree shilling Abe :laughing7: now that would be a welcome sight for sure.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to see one of those and the history going along . T hank's to share .amazing how far Indian you travel.

Thanks Montcalm, always interesting to see where these small silver pieces are recovered. I had always assumed the odds of finding one down south would be slim, but thrilled to have it in the display with the other colonial relics from the site.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VMI Digger,

I'd have to go with the silver brooch as the star of the hunt.....seems I'm a bit late to the party so congratulations on a well deserved banner.

Regards + HH

Bill

Last edited:

SC Keith

Aug 25, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the well deserved banner:icon_thumleft:
Seeing this rare find come from SC makes it even better.
HH- Keith

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
VMI Digger,

I'd have to go with the silver brooch as the star of the hunt.....seems I'm a bit late to the party so congratulations on a well deserved banner.

Regards + HH

Bill

Much appreciated Bill, my favorite civilian relic recovered to date

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Jon, I'm very happy to see your gorgeous luckenbooth up there. As we learned, not all heart pins are luckenbooths, but yours is the real deal. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread