1715 Beach Report

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bad news guys..our local paper, the Stuart News and Mullet Wrapper, had an article on beach "renourishment", and according to the article, renourishment of some beaches in Indian River County are only 20% complete. That means more crap dumped on the beaches. Same for parts of St. Lucie County. The article admitted that the junk placed on the beach resulted in an unnatural beach. (I thought unnatural acts were illiegal, but I digress). Anyhow, We stayed at Disney/Wabasso a couple months ago, and the beach was sooo screwed up we never took the detector outa the trunk. Last time I was at Ampersand, I told my wife there was a garbage truck not a galleon sunk out there. Rio Mar is still kinda pristine. Colored Beach has been screwed with, but is resisting strongly. BTW, happy anniversary 1715 fleet.

F

Floater

Stillhuntin I would say the most popular for the beach here is either the Minelab Excal or the Fisher CZ's I know a few with the quatro and some with the soveriegn. These are not your inexpensive machines though. Not sure what your budget is but with those first two I mentioned you can go soak as long as you like and they eat it up. Thanks again for some great posts. HH

OP
OP
S

stillhunting

Jun 22, 2005
Hello, When I was at each of the beaches, I was trying to observe which had the least renourishment. Out of the group, the most natural seemed to definitely Rio Mar. I was contemplating it but wasnt sure. Billinstuart confirmed my judgement. There are only sections of renourichment here and not just one large dump of new sand on the whole beach. See the darker color older natural sand is easy compared to the new lighter colored sand. The demarcation line is very clear. You can also see where it is natural that the sand naturally takes a dip and is about 2 to 3 feet lower than where the new sand was piled on.
When I was at Corrigans wreck site its amazing in you can see about 6 feet of all the palm trees roots and they dumped new sand there. One can only imagine how much beach disappeared actually disappeared considering they added sand and still that only brought up the sand line to 4 to 6 feet below a palm tress root. I should have taken a picture of this but didnt think of it. You can really appreciate the devastation of how deep the beach was cut out. If you figure maybe 3 feet of new sand added to the beach and 4 to 6 foot cut from the palms base, thats somewhere between 7 to 9 feet deep of sand claimed by the hurricane next to the palm trees. And that is if they just added 3 feet of sand. They probably added more.

OP
OP
S

stillhunting

Jun 22, 2005
Hello Floater, Sultan of the Sand,
Thanks for the info on the Minelab Excal or the Fisher CZ's. That info will come in handy. I figure I can spend about $ 1000 to $ 1200. Its been over 20 years since I bought my last one so its about time I purchased something good. I was just thinking that with all the hunting I could have went out and bought myself a grade I cob, but then again I would not have had the pleasure of finding it. I should have went to other beaches, but trying those beaches out was part of the fun. Any idea what the 2 most popular beaches are on the east coast. There must be some great finds during kids spring break? New stuff anyway.

F

Floater

Well your budget is OK Stillhunting. The Beaches as far as the best for spring break are Daytona after Spring Break and then Panama city and then you look for special events. Fourth of July. air and Sea Show and the like. Outdoor concerts. Etc. I still think hunting from Vero north is the way to go and then some of the southern section. also a lot of west coast areas. The damn sea shore is just loaded you just have to have time to hunt. Finding a lot of coins is not what I like too much. I prefer to stay in the water and hunt for the missing rings and such. I also like too hunt Demo sites. If I lived in an area that had a lot of history i would hunt old homes and churches to but not a lot of that here in Fort lauderdale or that is accessible. Anyway I think the CZ may be my next machine or I may go to the 3D for land only.Not sure yet. I will probably spend a day at Kellyco before deciding. Talk later. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread