1718 Irish Coin Weight & Cuff Links Still Connected & Thimble & Leather Ornamental

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow CP - that coin weight must be one of the most unique finds that has come from that site. I've never seen one that was dated - didn't even know they existed. Very cool!! Love the cuffs too.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that coin weight is super cool man. And those links....awesome

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow CP - that coin weight must be one of the most unique finds that has come from that site. I've never seen one that was dated - didn't even know they existed. Very cool!! Love the cuffs too.

Very pleased with it. Had no idea what it was until I got home to check the net. Its a weight for a gold coin just dont know which. Got it on video today too.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to see the coin weight all cleaned up! Love the cuff link. Anyone know what the tear drop is?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure do have a great site.. a real good chance of very early silver there.:thumbsup:

SS

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pleased with it. Had no idea what it was until I got home to check the net. Its a weight for a gold coin just dont know which. Got it on video today too.

Imagine if you found the gold coin to go wit it 8-)

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't wait to see the coin weight all cleaned up! Love the cuff link. Anyone know what the tear drop is?

Doubt I'l try to do anything else to it. That corrosion looks stubborn. The tear drop thing is a leather ornamental. Dont know what exactly its supposed to represent but I found 4 or 5 like this at the site.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin weight is Irish, Irish coin weights of the 17th and 18th centuries are generally made of brass. The weights which were most commonly produced were those designed for weighing the most common coins in circulation (typically English Guineas and Half Guineas) whilst weights for more obscure coins were produced in smaller quantities and are consequently scarcer.

SS

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The coin weight is Irish, Irish coin weights of the 17th and 18th centuries are generally made of brass. The weights which were most commonly produced were those designed for weighing the most common coins in circulation (typically English Guineas and Half Guineas) whilst weights for more obscure coins were produced in smaller quantities and are consequently scarcer.

SS

Thanks SS. I searched all over the net and cant find this one. I found many 1718s and even one for 4d 8g but none 4d 14g. Surely I'll find an example so I can know what it was made for.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SS. I searched all over the net and cant find this one. I found many 1718s and even one for 4d 8g but none 4d 14g. Surely I'll find an example so I can know what it was made for.
I couldn't either :icon_scratch: perhaps a quarter guinea or something.:dontknow: Perhaps a rarer type.:thumbsup:

SS

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Awesome find! I have a small book about coin weights "Lions Ships & Angels" (Withers) and it shows this for the 4 dwt 14 1/2gr. Portuguese 2 Escudos.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dude, you are tearing it up! I never remember your name for the site, but when I see Mid Atlantic/East Coast I pay attention! That is some amazing relics you find! Keep it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread